Barbuto Restaurant/NYC

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barbuto Restaurant/NYC

Has anyone eaten here? It was recommended to us, but was looking for more opinions.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 05:15 AM

The ratings in the Zagat guide aren't very impressive. Out of a possible 30, food=19
decor=16
service=15

I usually look for food ratings over 20.

Oddly, the written review sounds better. "In crowd" "cool industrial space" "well-executed greenmarket menu that's not the typical boring pasta." "Spotty service."
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 04:15 PM

Barbuto has a very well-known chef, Jonathan Waxman, and I have heard good reports about the food; price is moderate for quality. I have no first hand knowledge as I have yet to eat here.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:41 AM

I should elaborate. Jonathan Waxman was the head chef at Chez Panisse years ago. This place got excellent reviews in the local press when it opened. Thanks for reminding me about it!
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:08 AM

also check reviews on menupages.com. they are similar to zagat.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:58 AM

Actually there are many more positive reviews on menupages than negative ones and the negative ones that I read concerned dinners with ten or more people in a private room. NO, I do not work for the restaurant but while we are on the subject, I do not put much stock in the menupages reviews. Nor in those on citysearch. Just for the record!
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 08:11 AM

I actually find menupages to be more on target than zagat. I think zagat is more of a popularity pole, while menupages is more 'realistic'. I use menupages frequently to look for new places, and I cross reference with Zagat and NY Times reviews. I also like being able to of view the menu. I don't use citysearch. If I am looking for something very specific, I'll also check chowhound.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I'm eating there in 2 weeks. I'll report back.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 02:52 PM

I like www.chowhound.com better than menupages. They are often the most on target about food here in NYC with the posts in such great detail. Too often the posters on menupages have a gripe to air and Zagat is often not on target..a little hokey in my opinion. I look forward to Henry's report!
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

We ate at Barbuto Monday night. We enjoyed it and would go back. The restaurant is actually in an old car dealership/garage. The 3 outside walls are glass garage doors that they open when it's warm outside.

The menu is small, but there is a nice variety of choices. Before dinner, they bring olives and a great Italian bread with olive oil. There are good wines by the glass. I drink alone, so I'm always looking for good half bottles or glasses.

The entrees were terrific. I had the pork chop, that had a great sauce, and my wife had the bolognese, that I finished for her. I enjoyed both.

The desserts were good as well. A nice selection of gelato and sorbetto.

I would recommend Barbuto to anyone looking for a "not too expensive" Italian restaurant near the meatpacking district.

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:07 AM

Henry, thanks for the report; I moved Barbuto to the top of my list of places to try soon.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:52 AM

I had lunch there with a friend on Saturday. I thought that it was actually quite good.

It's funny that it looks like Henry R and his wife and we had the same food. I wrote a little bit about on my blog (see below).

It's actually one of the few restaurants I'd think about going back.

==

[] and I went to Jonathan Waxman's Barbuto for lunch today. At one point, I think Waxman cooked at the space now occupied by the acclaimed Cru at 24 Fifth Avenue (the former restaurant was called Washington Park). I never ate at WP, and I've read a few nice reviews of Barbuto.

I really enjoyed Barbuto. I had sphagetti bolognese, but it was very satisfying. I also had salad greens in a lemon-based dressing, which was simple but good (rarely have I found a more satisfying salad, as I prefer my vegetables cooked rather than raw). [] had pork with wilted greens, which tasted good also (I had a bite of the pork). Lunch for the two of us was $47 (tax and tip included).