Back Bay or Cambridge

Search

Back Bay or Cambridge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back Bay or Cambridge

We are planning a trip to Boston, Vermont and Cape Cod in September and would appreciate opinions on where to spend the first 4 days in Boston. At present we are looking at either the Lenox in the Back Bay area or the Royal Sonesta in Cambridge. Basically looking for somewhere that is easily accessible to the main sights and has nice restaurants and bars close at hand.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 02:43 AM

I haven't stayed at the Lenox but nearby. The location is great. You can walk to a lot of places and a T stop is nearby.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 02:45 AM

No doubt about it...the Lenox...Copley Square, near shops, sights, Duck Tour, theatre restaurants. Perfect!! Now, I'm sure others will say the opposite....lol
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 02:55 AM

Not much within walking distance of Sonesta except Museum of Science!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 08:39 PM

The Sonesta isn't bad, but it's in EAST Cambridge (not the Harvard-Cambridge you read about) right across from a mall. But on the good side, it is on the Charles so you could have a nice view. It's also a quick walk to the Museum of Science or Lechmere "T" stops which will get you anywhere in Boston in minutes. It also might have better parking options (just a guess) than the Lenox.

That said... the Lenox is more centrally located and fits your request of being near nice restaurants and bars. You can walk everywhere from there.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 05:30 AM

I would definitely choose the Lenox. It's close to tons of restaurants, shopping and the green line "T". It's a very walkable area as well.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 05:37 AM

As everyone states, the Lenox is much more convenient to shopping, restaurants, and public transportation.

The Sonesta is a much nicer hotel property: bigger and more nicely furnished rooms, more staff (better service). On any rating system, the Sonesta would get 1 more star than the Lenox.

Everyone has different priorities. Although I very much enjoy a nice room, I'd still take the Lenox, because of convenient location.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 03:27 PM

You may want to check www.mbta.com before chosing the Sonesta. I believe the two T stations closest to the Sonesta (Lechmere and Science Park) will be closed for a few months.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 11:38 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all your help I have booked the Lenox - all I need now is for September to arrive!