Search

Baby beach in Poipu

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baby beach in Poipu

We have booked a condo at the Prince Kuhio condos for 11 nights in January, and I see on the map that there is a beach called Baby Beach near there. Is baby beach a good place for our 2 year old daughter to play at the shore and get her feet wet in the ocean? Any other good beaches nearby within walking distance that are good for children and snorkeling? Thanks
Shaun
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:54 AM

Baby Beach is a small, shallow cove with a lifeguard stand there.

That said, while we were there in July, the waves were choppy and knocking down older kids 8-9 yr olds. You could probably walk her down to where the water recedes, but I think a 2 yr old would get knocked down even when the water is fairly calm. Definitely stay with her the whole time.

Also, there's a little sand bar near there - between Poipu and I think its the Marriott. When the water is up, part of the sandbar is submerged and people walk out to the "island". While we were there, several people stepped on sea urchins and were stung multiple times - through Tevas and water shoes. The water wasn't more than a couple feet deep. Just FYI. Might want to check with the lifeguard on any potential dangers.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 04:13 PM

We spent two afternoons there in late July and we found the place to be very calm. The right hand side that deadends in some homes is where most of the families were and that is where it seemed calmest. Poipu beach park is also a nice place to snorkel and hang with kids and is a short 5 minute drive from your condo. At that time of year the surf on the south shore should be low. It will be rockin up north though.
-Bill
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 04:20 PM
alg

We were in Kauai in February last year and Baby Beach certainly lived up to its name...seemed to be a favorite spot for families with young children.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 06:05 PM

Poipu beach has 2 sections to swin in. One section is very calm and great for little ones.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 06:52 AM

There are 2 places called Baby Beach inthe Poipu area. One is the above-mentioned cove across from Brenneckes that has a lifeguard stand. But there is also a small Baby Beach off a public access path in a resdiential neighborhood near Prince Kuhio condos on a small side street (Ho'oni?)
right off Lawai Rd.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

The Beach near Prince Kuhio is the one I am refering to, since we are staying at Prince Kuhio.
Thanks
Shaun
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Kal

I always called the beach right in front of The Beach House "Baby Beach".
Small and crowded if you get there late.

Nice for kids as it is somewhat sheltered from the surf and good for snorkeling.