Kauai with Young Children

Feb 1st, 2011, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Kauai with Young Children

Hi,

We are going to Kauai for the second time with our 4 year old twins in April and will be staying in Poipu. I'm looking for suggestions for the following:

1) Snorkeling. I'd like to take the kids someplace where they can see fish right off shore (they don't swim, but are not afraid of water and we will be with them). Also, I'd like it to be as close to Poipu as possible (long car rides are no good for them).

2) Short boat trip. Anything that is 1 or 2 hours or less?

3) Luau. Anything that starts not too late (bedtime is 8:00) and is not too long for a 4 year old attention span?

Thank you!

Daria
Feb 1st, 2011, 10:51 PM

At Poipu Beach County Park, there is an area of the ocean that is so shallow and protected that it is like a toddlers' swimming pool. It will be perfect for your twins. They might see fish there as well.
Feb 2nd, 2011, 04:47 AM

It is not exactly a luau, but at the Poipu Shopping Center they used to do an entertainment and hula show for an hour that is free. It used to be on Tuesdays and/or Thursdays at 5:30 or 6:00. I am not sure if they still have it or not. My guess is they do, but you could track that down by doing dome googling. It was very well done and satisfied our need for hula and fun. we walked over to Keokoi's for dinner in the bar afterward.

The main part of Poipu Beach Park has a large lagoon-like cresecnt that would be perfect for the kids to stick their heads in the water with you. It is not very deep,is ususally calm and there are lifeguards all over this area.
Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:37 AM

Agree with Poipu Beach Park or maybe Lawai Beach down the road for turtles, and there are often monk seals at Poipu as well (these will be roped off and visitors have to stay a certain distance away).

Not aware of any ocean boat tours that are that short, not even the sunset ones. Maybe consider a boat trip up to the Fern Grotto, that is a pretty short trip and not too long a drive from Poipu,, plenty of places to stop and eat afterward, the Grotto itself is not much but the boat ride is nice and there is also onboard entertainment with Hawaiian singing and dancing. Tip the folks a little, they do not make much money.
Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Feb 3rd, 2011, 05:27 AM

There is also a little beach called Keiki Beach on Hoona Road that runs off of Lawai Road. Very small beach with a reef close off shore that breaks the waves. Mostly populated by families with young kids because the water is calm and mostly safe. Parking can be tight. Residential area.