Possible Schedule for 5 days in Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be our family's first time to Kauai and hope to come up with a flexible but "doable" schedule for our trip. We will be arriving from Maui on December 27th and departing on January 1st. Please let me know what you think (Is it too much, activities are not located close enough to do on the same day, or am I missing anything special???). My children are 5 and 9 years old.

Day 1: Arrive in Kauai at 10:00 A.M.
Go to Waimea Canyon after dropping off luggage at the Sheraton. Do a small hike then go to JoJo's for Shave Ice. Stop by Spouting Horn and then swim at Poipu Beach park by our hotel.

Day 2: Go bright and early to Ke'e Beach and do a part of the hike to Hanakapiai Beach (whatever kids can handle) and then snorkel at Ke'e beach.

Day 3: ATV Tour through Kipu Ranch.
Then change hotel to the Hyatt for the remainder of the trip. Swim in their pool!

Day 4: Kayak or take a boat ride on the Wailua River. Then go to Lydgate Beach to snorkel, feed fish, and play in park area.

Day 5: Surf lessons for family and then watch fireworks on Poipu beach at night (New Year's Eve).

Day 6: Begin flight home.

What do you think???
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 05:45 PM

I think that when your kids see the pool at the Hyatt they are not going to want to leave for the activities you have planned!

Don't think snorkeling at Ke'e in late December is very safe, be very cautious.
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 08:25 PM
kip

Aloha,
I, too, am the parent of 5 and 9 year old children and we've done lots of Hawaii trips. I have to say that if my kids designed the schedule, a lot more time would be spent at the beach and pool (especially at the Hyatt) than in the car. (We still manage to haul them around a bit though!) A few thoughts: Waimea Canyon is magnificent but the road up is full of twists and turns. My kids are always queasy by the midpoint of the trip. It's a gorgeous drive but if your kids get motion sick you might want to prepare ahead of time with dramamine, etc. Jo Jo's is a big hit and very "local" stop. The other thing about Waimea Canyon, Kokee State Park, and the Napali Coast trails is that they are incredibly slick and muddy after rain and you're heading over during the rainy season. We've done the Sleeping Giant trail and one of the waterfall hikes listed in "the ultimate Kauai book" and they've been fun for everyone. We're saving the Na Pali coast trail for a summer trip. Ke'e Beach is beautiful. You might call the Princeville hotel before you head up and ask about the weather and surf conditions on the Northshore. It can be socked in up there and the surf can be crashing during the winter. We've also hit calm days in January but that tends to be the exception. You might want to visit Lydgate Park on the way up to the Northshore instead of doing this on a seperate day. We've never been nuts about the beach at Lydgate -there's better snorkling and a more beautiful beach in front of the new Marriott at Poipu but the playground and bridge structure at Lydgate is really cool and the kids love it. We use this stop to break up a drive to the Northshore. If you want to do a simple burger stop for dinner on the way home, both Duane's One Char Burgers betwn Kapa'a and Kilauea and the Beach Hut at Kalapaki (near the Lihue Marriott) have tasty grinds and are kid friendly. I'd also think about doing either the Wailua Kayak trip or the ATV trip, and having an extra day to play at the Hyatt or in the surf at Brennekes or Poipu Beach Park. We just got back from a couple of weeks on Maui and all my kids (girls) wanted to do was boogie board and swim. You might also do the surf lesson a day or two earlier so the kids can pick up a little technique that they can practice before they head home. Lots to do at the Hyatt, too. Killer pools, including a great salt water lagoon, a little parrot program every morning at 10 am in the atrium where the parrot keepers bring out the birds for people to hold and feed, and on Tuesday and Saturday nights, there is a great little keiki (kid's) hula show preformed by a local dance troupe that is charming and coincides with the sunset. We like to sip Mai Tai's, get pupu's and smoothies for the kids, and call it dinner. Also, Spouting Horn has some great trinket stands with great souvenirs. You might also want to head out to Maha'elupu Beach, a rugged and undeveloped beach really close to the Hyatt.The spa at the Hyatt is also a nice little escape for Mom. You'll have a great trip, just make sure you plan some down time where you can just soak up Kauai.
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 08:57 PM

If you like the beach, I strongly suggest you do not miss Pali Hali (sp?)State Beach Park on Kauai. The road can be a bit tricky but believe me it is well worth the effort.
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 09:02 PM

I don't think I would like to pack and unpack like that. It isn't a long drive.
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 09:07 PM

Sorry- I posted on the wrong thread. Sounds like a fun trip. The road to the Canyon does take awhile. Not sure what time you will get back in order to swim. Where are you learning to surf?
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 09:11 PM

I second the ideas of Maha'elupu Beach and the state park. Although, watch out for nudie people if you don't want your kids seeing that. Also Barking Sands is great for them to find shells. I'm nervous about you guys taking surf lessons there. Make sure the water conditions are safe.
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 11:13 PM

I second Pumpy's suggestion that you view Polihale on the west side. The beach is long, wide and deserted, and the dunes and topography spectacular. That end of the island is almost always dry. Be aware, however, that it is never safe to swim there (other than in Queen's Pond), because of shorebreaks, rip currents and huge waves in the winter. Drownings are common. If Ke'e beach (also a drowning hazard in winter) is too rough, you might try Kalihikai Beach, Anini Beach Park, for snorkeling on the north shore that time of year. Still, your best swimming/snorkeling likely will be in the south, perhaps Poipu Beach Park.

Day 1: you may wish to see the Koke'e State Park while in the Waimea Canyon area. The lookouts, particularly Kalalau, are jaw-dropping.

If I were splitting my time between hotels I would opt for a north/south split, rather than 2 on the south shore, fairly close together. The scenery is far, far more beautiful in the north.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your great replies! It sounds like I will need to visit Kauai in the summertime as well!

In response to your questions/suggestions:

I chose two hotels close to each other for a reason. I knew my kids would love the Hyatt but would not want to leave the hotel due to the great pools so I left that hotel for the last 3 days after we did most of the site seeing. I wanted to stay in an Ocean Front room at the Sheraton so that I could enjoy waking up to the sounds of the ocean waves for at least a few days. I had this experience in Maui a few years ago (Mokapu building at the Rennaissance) and it was wonderful!

It sounds like the best area to snorkel and learn to surf is Poipu. Should we make that a priority while staying at the Sheraton since we would be closest then? How far is the best snorkeling from our hotel? Is the visibility best in the morning? Since we are going to Maui first, should we snorkel there (Black Rock) instead or is the surf generally the same there in Winter? I like the suggestion about taking the surfing lessons near the beginning of our stay so the kids have time to practice!

I would love more details about the Sleeping Giant hike with kids. How long and strenuous was the hike? Did the kids enjoy it?

As far as the suggestion about collecting shells on Barking Sands beach, is that allowable or do they prefer we leave the shells behind? My daughters would love to collect shells but I thought it was a no no!

At Ke'e Beach, would it be a good idea for me and the girls to hang out here while my husband goes exploring on the hike? I know he will be miserable if he is sitting at a pool instead of having an adventure like hiking.

It is my understanding that a boat ride to the north shore is not advisable in the winter (or a kayak), and I'm not thrilled with the idea of a helicopter ride having the kids with me, and the hike sounds like it would be too messy. What other options are available to see the north shore or do I "have to" visit in the summer to see this area? I really would feel like I was missing something great if I couldn't see at least a portion of it! Those view look amazing! I'm assuming that eating at the Princeville would not do the view justice?

Is visiting Waimea in the early afternoon ok or will the traffic be a nightmare or the view (clouds) not as good? How long would you plan to spend in that area with some stops to see the views and perhaps a small hike? Should I plan on most of the day? Where is the Koke'e state park in relation to the canyon. If we keep driving, is that where we will end up?

Wow! Sorry for all of the questions but I'm sure you can understand how I want to make this trip special for my family! Thanks for all of your help so far and I can't wait to hear more of your suggestions!
Aloha!
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 10:07 AM

Ashley24: Follow Route 550 north on either the Waimea Canyon Road or the Koke'e Road and you'll reach the State Park, Koke'e. There the road, I believe, becomes Route 55. Continue to its end and you'll see the Kalalau and Pu'u O Kila Lookouts, views of Napali Coast to kill for (but, don't). There is good hiking at Alakai Swamp in the area. Also, the rocks just east of the Hyatt, at Shipwreck, provide a good view of the coast, and sea life, including humpback whales.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 01:54 PM
bquarre

Ashley24: Your trip in Kauai sounds good. I thought the snorkeling was better at Tunnels Beach than at Ke'e...les crowded too. The snorkeling at Ke'e was great,but I liked Tunnels better. I'd skip Lydgate, we found it crowded and not at all relaxing, but we tried it, didn't like it and moved on to Anini Beach which we loved. Have a great time.

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 02:08 PM

Snorkeling at Tunnels or Ke'e at the end of December is too risky, especially with little kids. Lydgate ismuch safer and there is a lifeguard.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 06:56 PM

I believe you can take the shells unless it is a state park. Barking Sands is miliary I thought.

I can't picture any spot in Kauai that would be calm, shallow and away from rocks enough for kids that young to learn to surf. Kanapali gets deep fast too with strong shore break. Maybe another beach park in Maui would be good.

I wouldn't take my child anywhere to swim without a reef to keep big creatures out.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 07:54 PM

i agree with all who say the waters are rough- but drive to bali hai- it is much calmer, and gorgeous
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:33 AM
MMN

Another Kauai traveller had told me that since the Sheraton & the Princeville are managed by the same company - Starwood - you can stay at one and have signing/property privileges at the other. Check this out. It may allow you to head up toward the Princeville Resort that 2nd day. If this is true, you could try their beach if calm enough and if not, could use their pool. Which is nothing fancy, but certainly nice for a swim. And there is a nice poolside bar area for lunch. A little expensive though. It will give you the full North Shore view. I was there in July and found that area to be absolutely amazing - but don't know quite how it would be in Dec/Jan.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:00 AM
JMM

The best places to teach your children snorkeling are Lydgate and Anini. Lydgate may be crowded but they WILL see fish and it is safe. In my opinion even Poipu has a fairly steep drop off for children.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:49 AM

Forgive me, but are you sure you will be up for dumping your luggage and running off to the Canyon as soon as you arrive? Wouldn't you like to walk around your hotel, have some refreshment and maybe a swim in the ocean or pool? Unwind a bit? Waimea Canyon is not to be rushed. The drive will take a while, the roads are winding, and you will likely be tired/tense from travelling. Take your time, take a breath. My humble advice: have a general list of things you want to do/see, but be flexible about what you actually end up doing. Have a fabulous time in a spectacular environment, but don't forget to take time to smell the roses--or coconuts. I envy you--have fun. And relax.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 01:24 PM
uuhhhh

that would be (take time to smell the) plumeria, nickie..... other than that, i like your advice.

Ashley, does it make sense to have the kids all fired up about learning to surf, then leave the next day? take the lessons on day 1 or 2, and spend the rest of your stay to having fun with it. kalapaki beach might be a good place to learn.

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate all of your comments/advice. I plan on relaxing but also want to see the amazing sights that Kauai has to offer. From what I have heard about the Sheraton, their pool isn't such a big deal so I figure while we are staying there for the first two nights, I would like to do most of the sight seeing. We will also be arriving before checkin time so I thought it would be a good time to start some sight seeing. Then when we move to the Hyatt we will do more relaxing and enjoying of the pool area.
I like the suggestion made about getting property priveleges at the Princeville. Would my children enjoy the breakfast buffet there? Is there a dress code for eating the buffet? It would be nice to be able to eat there and then do a little swim while soaking up the views. If we have to dress in resort casual to eat, I am not sure how convenient it would be to change to go swimming in their pool. Are the views from the pool pretty amazing?
Another question: How strenuous is the Sleeping Giant hike or is it best to just drive by since we have young children? Am I correct that you can see the Opaekaa Falls and Wailua Falls from the road area (no hiking needed to see them)? I am now thinking maybe we could go to Lydgate Park and then do some waterfall sight seeing (and Sleeping Giant?) on one of our days.
Does anyone have an estimate of the length of time it takes to get from the Sheraton to the Princeville?
By the way, we made reservations for the Kipu Ranch ATV tour for our third day!! Can't wait!!!
Please keep the ideas and suggestions coming! Thanks!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 04:47 PM
MightyIsis

I would bag the trip to Lydgate Beach. The beach by the Sheraton or the Hyatt is much nicer. Don't want to miss Polihale Beach on the west side. The last 5 miles of the drive is on dirt roads thru cane fields. I don't know how doable that would be if after a rain. Great pizza and ice cream parlor in Koloa Town. Give yourselves some lazy time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -