B & B in the French Quarter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are heading to New Orleans March 16-19 and have been a bit slow on the planning. Most important, we haven't figured out our accomodations. We are hoping for a B & B in the French Quarter that is safe and cute. Would be great to keep it under $100/night. But most important, it must be SAFE, and somewhat nice/romantic. Other recommendations - food, things to do, places to volunteer - are of course welcome and appreciated. Thanks!
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 03:19 PM

We liked the Lafitte Guest House very much, but I think it's at least $180.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Dan

You won't find a nice room in the Quarter for under $100 a night during that weekend!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:40 PM

I stayed at the Cornstalk Fence Hotel about 10 years ago. Believe it or not, their rates start at $79 a night.

http://www.cornstalkhotel.com/

It's kind of a quirky place, and is a regular stop on the horse drawn tours.

We originally stayed at the Hotel Maison de Ville, in the room where Tennessee Williams wrote "A Streetcar Named Desire". It was unfortunately very oppressive, and there was so much noise from Bourban Street revelry, that we couldn't sleep.

The music, of course, is amazing. Here's a link many clubs. Preservation Hall is the oldest. We went to one, maybe Tipitinas, and saw Charlene Nevelle, and the most amazing performance of the Mardi Gras Indians.

http://www.offbeat.com/listings/findclub.php#88

Personally, I enjoyed the Voodoo Museum.

http://voodoomuseum.com/

I found that small local restaurants and delis and cafés were delicious and much less expensive than the nicer restaurants which were a bit disappointing.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 03:14 PM

That is a tall order.

We stayed at the Cornstalk about 6 years ago - it was safe, sort of romantic in a shabby sort of way, good location. Not sure if you can get it under $100 though.

Last year we stayed at the Place d'Arms, and I think you can still get rooms in your price range. It isn't a B&B though - just a regular hotel made up of several townhouses around a central courtyard. They offer a simple breakfast. We didn't find any issues with safety there.