Reload this Page >

Hotel Advice ASAP, please??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 11:27 AM
LoraH

Hi, I have to make reservations very soon, and it boils down between Holiday Inn French Quarter and St. Charles/Royal...? any suggestions? I don't awnt to have to walk too far to the french quarter, but it looks like Charles is right across the street from H>I>. The HI is quite a bit more expensive, but it is a three star, and St. Charles is two.
thanking everyone in advance!!!

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 12:38 PM
Deborah

Hi there!

We stayed at the Queen and Castle and it was nice - the bedrooms were pretty but not large. New Orleans has so much to offer that we rarely spent any time in our room anyway.

The Q&C was reasonably priced and only 2 blocks from the French Quarter - which can be quite noisy.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 12:56 PM
Duane

Deborah, do you mean the Queen and the Crescent Hotel?

Lora, I stayed for a night at the Royal St. Charles this past April. It's only a block or so out of the FQ and was fine for a place to stay. I think it just opened last year so it is still pretty new. The room was clean and had a contemporary feel. Not very large though, but we had enough space.

I can't compare to the Holiday Inn, but if the Royal is cheaper, it is a good buy. I think I paid $90 for the room during Jazz Fest. I would stay there again. Hope this helps.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 01:02 PM
Deborah

Yikes!
Thank you Duane, yes I did mean the Queen and Crescent - thanks for the save!

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:25 PM
Heather

I too stayed at The Queen and Crescent earlier this year. I highly recommend it! The rooms (at least mine!) were charming and the smaller "boutique" feel of the hotel was very relaxing. My room was a corner unit in the secondary building, tastefully decorated with rustic brick walls, a huge bathroom and very comfortable bed (the terry cloth bath robes were a nice touch). The free continental breakfast was superior to others I've experienced and all employees I encountered were very nice and helpful. Its location is ideal, short walk from the Quarter but not in the middle of all the hoopla. I found a great rate through Orbiz for $74/night. Granted this was booked fall of last year for a Memorial Day Weekend trip...

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:28 PM
kal

Aloha, Just got back from 5 "daze" in NOLA. A relative stayed at the St Charles Royal and liked it. Smallish but a boutique hotel as Duane mentions. Nice lobby and not too far off Canal Street to be that worried about walking back late at night.
Kal

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 09:12 AM
LoraH

thank you all for responding. the reason I picked these two is that they are the only ones available when we will be going there. The HI is 150 a night, and St. charles is 90. St. charles has a continetal breakfast, too. I was concerned about the walking distance to Jackson square, as my husband has bad knees, but it doesn't look that much further, am I right?? I havent' been there before, can you tell? LOL
I live in Wyoming, where it is snowing and last night was 15 degrees. NO is going to be great!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 03:20 PM
kal

Lora,
I'd estimate that it's about a nice 15-20 min walk to get to Jackson Sq from your hotel. You can meander it into a 30 min. walk or zig zag to save time and stress on the ol' knees.

I uaually suggest for first timers to New Orleans that they get the tourist map called "MapEasy's Guidemap to:...".
They really come in handy in NOLA. I've been there 6-7 times and still take it with me just in case.
You can pick them up in any major bookstore. I usually get mine at Barnes and Noble.
I left mine at home...I mean Mrs Kal forgot it... so I picked one up at Louis Armstrong Intl Airport terminal (MSY) in NOLA at one of the "Wordsmith" (?) news stands.
http://www.mapeasy.com/NewOrleans.html
Kal

ps...You know my Ortho told me that sitting on a barstool or leaning up against an oysterbar is good phys therapy for bad knee...I REALLY like that Ortho!