Le Richelieu or Maison Dupuy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For any of you have stayed at either or both, which is better? Location is important to us as we want to walk everywhere. I've read mixed reviews about both, but have narrowed it down to these two.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 03:48 AM

We stayed at Maison Dupuy a couple years ago. Once we were inside the hotel we could have been in any hotel in any city. No New Orleans feel to the place. Not that there was anything wrong with it. They also had the lovely courtyard closed pretty much the entire time we were there for a wedding. The hotel is only a couple blocks off Bourbon, but the last block is fairly dark, I wouldn't walk it alone at night.

I haven't stayed at Le Richelieu, it's a little further away from Bourbon. I wouldn't walk there alone at night either. Just from outward appearances, I would guess that Maison Dupuy is a bit more upscale. That being said, I suspect I would be happier at Le Richelieu. Jean
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:29 AM

Le Richelieu is very nice - authentic French Quarter feel, though not "opulant". It's two blocks from Bourbon St. and one block to the Canal St. streetcar stop at French Market. I've stayed there twice and of course walked everywhere but sometimes hopped the streetcar. If you go two blocks away is Marisol restaurant: a "don't miss"

http://marisolrestaurant.com/
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:55 AM

I have not stayed at the Maison Dupuy, but we stayed at Le Richelieu two summers ago. We enjoyed our stay there and had no complaints. Le Richelieu is a little faded around the edges, although clean and well-maintained. Free parking makes this hotel the best deal in the Quarter, if you are going to have a car. We walked everywhere from this location with no problems, and in fact, enjoyed being on the more residential end of the French Quarter. If you are searching for a hotel with 4-star amenities, then you may be disappointed in Le Rich, but if you are looking for a clean place to sleep, with true New Orleans ambiance and a helpful, friendly staff, then this is the hotel for you.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:49 AM

I'm a mid-30's professional that travels often. I live about 4 hours away from New Orleans and have visited several times a year for the past fifteen years. I have tried all types of accomodations in and around the French Qaurter from hotels to private homes.

On our last visit to New Orleans (New Year's Eve), my wife and I strolled by the DuPuy and looked inside the lobby. We decided we would try this hotel when we returned in April for the first weekend of Jazz Fest with my in-laws. By making a few phone calls, we were able to secure two non-smoking king rooms with balconies overlooking the courtyard at a rate of $289 per night thanks to Pat in reservations. (These types of rooms are scarce during big events).

Check-in was great. Our car was parked and our bags were promptly brought up to the room. The front-desk staff was helpful and check-in was immediate. The room, however, left a lot to be desired. The french doors to the balcony did not shut or lock properly. Everything was tired and dated. The very tiny bathroom had several bulbs that were burned out over the vanity and the tub was dirty. There is no in-room high speed internet service and the dial-up will cost you 75 cents a call. The only high point to the room was that it faced out over an interior courtyard that cut down the noise level as compared to a room that faces out over the streets (if you have ever stayed in a balcony room on Bourbon you will appreciate that).

The level of service greatly deteriorated after check-in. In the four nights that we stayed there, the maids never cleaned our coffee pot or placed out new coffee (horrible coffee- btw). No one ever replaced the burned-out bulbs over the vanity in the bathroom. The convenience bar in the room had orange juice in it that had expired over two months ago.

The breakfast buffet consisted of powdered eggs and fruit that was left sitting in the sun. Service was downright rude at breakfast and the employees could have cared less if anyone was there. When we, and other guests, inquired about items that were getting low, we were shrugged off. On the day of check-out, the bellboy/valet was very rude to us and other guests. In the lobby, after a guest a complained of being awakened by loud noises, a hotel employee loudly proclaimed, "if I had to be up at 6 this morning, so should he!"

At $289 per night plus tax and $24 nightly parking fee, you definitely do not get the service and room you are paying for. There are much nicer, and newer, hotels to choose from in this area.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 08:24 AM

I agree with the previous postings by Bardo1 and BetsyinKY. Le Richelieu is a clean hotel with an authentic New Orleans ambience. Free parking is a big plus. Having said that, the property exterior & interior are somewhat faded. If you're looking for a glitzy hotel, this certainly isn't it. However, I think it's a good value and I plan to stay here again.