Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Good quality hotel at a good price in the French Quarter?

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Following the ravages of Katrina, we are not sure how hotels have fared in the Big Easy.

We will be there beginning of April. Can anyone suggest a moderately priced clean hotel with Internet access in the French Quarter?

Any comments on the Le Richilieu, which is one hotel we are considering?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sheree
http://blog.picajet.com
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 02:25 AM

We always stay at the Ramada Inn on Bourbon. It's centrally located in the Quarter, which saves on renting a car since everything is within walking distance, and has internet access from a computer in their lobby (I didn't check on access from rooms). The street side rooms on Toulouse and Bourbon are a bit higher priced, but the courtyard rooms are usually very reasonable.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 05:39 AM

My sister and I stayed at Le Richelieu fo 3 nights in early January. We loved it. The room was large and it has wireless internet access, if that is of interest to you. The concierge and staff at the front desk were marvelous and so helpful. Breakfast is not included but there is a small restaurant where a reasonably priced breakfast could be had. The hotel is about a block and a half from the livelier part of the FQ, making for a very easy walk to everything there. Also a short walk to the river and Decatur Street.

Best of all is free parking. That may not be an issue for you, but we had a car. All the other hotels in the FQ charge for parking. We only used the car one night and the rest of the time we walked.

So, I heartily recommend Le Richelieu.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Dan

The Hyatt and Fairmont didn't reopen after the storm, although both have construction crews working as we speak. All other hotels reopened within a few months of the storm and are operating.

Come down and enjoy!
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 10:09 AM

We stayed at the Place d'Armes in June and liked it. Our room was very clean and well maintained - probably could have used some updating, but I think that is true of a lot of rooms in New Orleans. The location is great - just of Jackson Square - and it has a nice courtyard. My only complaint about the hotel was that the continental breakfast didn't have a lot of variety, although the quality was good.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice; it's much appreciated.

Sheree