Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do I need to reserve Coho Ferry in mid-march?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be travelling in mid-march on the Coho Ferry with a small car on a Tuesday.

I need the 10am ferry. the only other ferry is 4pm. Do I need a reservation at this time of year, or can I get away with saving the $10 and just buy the ticket the day of? Or can I buy the tickets in advance in person (I'll be arriving on Sunday)?

I do need the 10am sailing or my travel plans will be off, but it seems like it's off-season AND an off-day.

thoughts?
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 10:25 PM

Is that US bound or BC Bound? If US Bound I'd just park early and enjoy the harbor at Victoria - be forewarned customs is ssslllooowwwww.. allow some extra time. 3rd week of March is spring break however.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

It's U.S. bound, March 18 ... I guess that will be spring break - you think there will be a lot of traffic?

I'm assuming customs will be when we land in Port Angeles. Any tips for getting first in line?
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 06:45 AM

Absolutely. We did this 2 years ago over spring break and were very thankful we had reservations.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like I need to reserve it.

Which makes me think, the Sunday before, I will be taking the 11am ferry with a car from tsawwassen to swartz bay. Sunday morning is not a peak travel day and March is not a peak travel season (except for spring break again).

I was going to save the $15 fee, since I am more flexible with my timing (they have ferries every hour after 11am) and b/c I have to get there early even with a reservation. Am I asking for trouble if I don't reserve the BC Ferry?
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 03:33 PM

You should be ok without a reservation on the BC ferry but I agree with the suggestion to reserve the Coho just in case--better safe than sorry.