Auto Rentals

Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Auto Rentals

I notice that you can get the same car from various agencies at various prices. Why rent from Hertz, for example, when you can get the same car from another at a much lower price?
Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:33 AM

While I have never rented from Hertz, I have a recieved plenty of discount coupons to use them and I believe Triple AAA also gives an additional discount with them. Unlike small private rental agencies, they also give things like frequent flyer miles if you rent through them.
Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:48 AM

Hertz caters to the business market. They try to tap into the vacation market but the prices are never good in my opinion, even with codes and coupons. As for the previous post, all national agencies will give you frequent flyer miles for practically any airline if you ask for it.
Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:52 AM

Also, major auto rental companies like Hertz frequently have rental pickup locations inside the airport terminal. What this means is that you waist less time between your flight and final travel destination, since you do not have to go outside the airport to pickup/dropoff your car.
Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:53 AM

And sometimes they actually do have the lowest prices. If anything, I've always found Hertz dependable, never had them put on the heat trying to sell "extras", etc. Yet most often I rent from Avis.
Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:56 AM
Dan

I almost always rent from Hertz. If you belong to their #1 Club, you get extra discounts. I find their prices competitive and sometimes lower than, say, Enterprise. Hertz usually has better airport locations than the "cheaper" companies like Dollar, Enterprise, Thrifty, etc., and I'll pay a little extra for that as it saves me time coming and going!
Jul 2nd, 2003, 08:25 AM

I am in Hertz Gold club, which offers some convienence, but always has the same prices that are avialable without membership.

I still check the other rental company and take the lowest price deal. Hertz is best or about equal, about half the time.

For example, tomorrow I am renting a car in Flint, Michigan for 3 days. Budget would have been about $4 cheaper (total) for the three days. But budget only provided 750 free miles and Hertz was unlimited miles.

Keith
Jul 2nd, 2003, 10:31 AM

I notice I usually get the best price from Orbitz...I surf daily and get the best price...if I get a better price later I charge the best price then and cancel the other...that website has had the best prices..better than the company websites......ck it out..
Jul 8th, 2003, 01:56 PM

J.D. Power recently conducted a customer service survey of the car rental industry. The review showed a huge gap in satisfaction depending on the company. Those reviewed were Hertz, Avis, National, Alamo, Dollar, Budget, Enterprise and Thrifty. The company that got the lowest rating is Thrifty. Hertz and Avis tied for the best score