Search

Austin experts need help with hotel ideas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Austin experts need help with hotel ideas

Seeking:
a hotel for a March visit which would be suitable for a small social reunion of friends. Group would require about five rooms all with two beds. Would like a good level of security, easy access to restaurants and shopping (prefer not to have to rent cars), and comfort. Lake Austin spa and Travaasa look quite lovely but the price is too high. The Driskill looked pretty good, but the price is still well over $200 a night. Something like the Kimpton chain would be a good option. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cmcfong, I am no expert having been to Austin only once but it has such a small downtown that it seems that any of the chain hotels would suit your purpose. The Four Seasons, I know, is very nicely located. I used Priceline and ended up at the Sheraton which was around 12th Street and we walked everywhere. The hotel was just fine too.
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a million, Suki!
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 04:04 PM

While the Lake Austin spa is lovely, it is way out at the end of Lake Austin. not convenient for downtown or touring or good without a car. it is a true destination spa.

I also really like the Four Seasons.
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you.
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 07:11 PM

About a year ago, I stayed at the Embassy Suites on South Congress. It was convenient to the South Congress shops and fun restaurants and food trucks.

IMHO, Embassy Suites are good choices for trips like yours because the rooms provide space for the couples to socialize, have food and drinks in the room if desired. Also, the property provided a free shuttle bus to an area which was within a reasonable radius.

I am staying at the Sheraton Downtown next month for three nights and will report back.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

I would be very interested in your feedback, musicfan.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 04:43 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I really like Barton Creek. It would be a great place for friends to hang out. You would have to take a shuttle or cabs to go shopping or eat offsite. It's a beautiful and relaxing place with space to get out and walk, enjoy the pool, etc. That would be the complete opposite of a hotel in town, but just wanted to point you that way in case the environs would outweigh the shopping proximity.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 07:09 PM

Barton creek is near nothing and you would need a car. It's expensive too. Not at all what you are requesting.

When will you be coming on March? If it's during South By Southwest you will pay a premium on all hotel rooms and home rentals. Otherwise, agree that Embassy Suites would work. You can walk over the bridge to downtown and shops, or a couple to blocks to South Congress Ave. The Sheraton is just across the Bridge from Embassy. Priceline might work. The W would be awesome but not in your budget.

Do you know the dates yet?
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 07:20 PM

"Not at all what you are requesting." = "That would be the complete opposite of a hotel in town,"

"...but just wanted to point you that way in case the environs would outweigh the shopping proximity."

Just sharing an idea - and being clear that it is "the complete opposite of a hotel in town". I floated that idea based on other getaway locations cmcfong has enjoyed on previous trips. Blue Sky cabins outside of Red Lodge, Montana came to mind.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 04:41 PM

It's more than not easy acess to shopping- there was also a request for close to restaurants and inexpensive. Barton Creek is neither. it's beautiful, and really ideal for golfer$$$.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 04:50 PM

Austin, I don't know how to say it any differently. I know it is the complete opposite of what cmcfong said she was looking for. I said they would have to go offsite for shopping and eating offsite. I know all that. I don't know how to be more clear about it. SO...AFTER I share that, I just let her know it is...IMO...a really nice place to hang out with friends. I know from prior posts by cmcfong that is something that appeals to her at times. I have no idea if THIS time is what she wants - but IMO there's nothing wrong with sharing an idea. That's all it is. Sharing an idea.

"it's beautiful, and really ideal for golfer$$$." I've been going since the late 80s and I don't golf. I've walked the course for exercise and enjoyed the beauty of the resort - but have never golfed. I've played tennis there. I've enjoyed the pool there. I've REALLY enjoyed the spa there. I've enjoyed the food there. If *I* were going to hang out with old friends for a few days, it's the kind of place I would enjoy. We took shuttles or cabs into the city for dinner/bars/music...but during the day we REALLY enjoyed being at Barton Creek. I understand it may not be for everyone. I just thought I'd share a place in Austin I like.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for giving me suggestions on this trip. Because our dates for 2013 were set I did run into some events...SouthbySouthwest and Rodeo which were really driving the rates up (the best quote for a room at the W? $839 a night....even more expensive than the spas!). So we decided to put Austin in the mix for our 2014 event so we can plan around those events. Your suggestions will help me develop our options for the visit.
I appreciate your help.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 05:33 AM

cmcfong, have you concerned Fredricksburg? http://www.fredericksburgtexas-online.com/
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 06:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah that's ashame, cmcfong. March is the busiest month in Austin without a doubt. I think the music portion of SXSW ends around the middle of the month and I also think it is the last event of that multi-part festival, so later in the month you should be fine. I think it would be a great city for a get together because hotels and restaurants are plentiful but it is a small city so it feels completely manageable. On the east coast, I think Charleston is the same way.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 12:33 PM

I know this gathering is now a long way off, but when you start making plans for it, try and time it so you are in Austin when the bluebonnets are in bloom. They really are spectacular. I would also suggest scheduling a visit to the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. Lady Bird was instrumental in the argument that our communities should look be unique and that we should exploit the natural beauty around us. thus the planting of bluebonnets in Texas, a truly unique Texas flower. She was a big proponent of the beautification of the roadways throughout the U.S.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Oh we got some pretty great deals in other cities, Suki, so we will have fun! And Austin will be great when we do get there. William, the bluebonnets are a huge attraction! Starrs, I think since it is a weekend everyone prefers to stay in towns with ready access to the airport, but Fredricksburg does look like fun and I might head that way a day or two before the fiesta.
Thank you for your suggestions and interest.