Search

Houston - Austin

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Houston - Austin

I'm a 42 y/o single woman looking to relocate to an area where I can meet new and exciting people and get involved in activities. At the same time, I do not want to be engulfed in the craziness of a big city. I will be working from home so it will be important to be close to areas of interest so as not to isolate. Lastly, I understand it will be hot in TX, so being either close to water or a lake, pools will be essential. Can you provide info or suggestions on what might be best (Houston or Austin) and places to stay while I check it out? Thanks!
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 02:01 PM

You don't say what kind of activities you're looking for, but I can vouch for Austin being a great place to live, especially if you don't have to commute!

You can be close to Town Lake, Lake Austin, or Lake Travis, or take advantage of the many pools throughout the city. If you're considering buying a home or condo on one of the lakes, get ready for some sticker shock.

Personally, I would recommend living near downtown, but again, I don't know what kind of activities you're interested in so kind of hard to comment. There are plenty of hotels downtown and while downtown is walkable, you will need a car to see the rest of Austin.

I can't give you any information about Houston as I've never lived there. But, it's a much, much bigger city than Austin so I'm not sure why you're considering it.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Where are you locating from, and what are your interests?
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I'm moving from NJ. I enjoy being by the water but also enjoy hiking or anything outdoors (except snow skiing). I agree that Houston is probably a bad idea. Someone mentioned Austin as it has that small town atmosphere and there are plenty of things to do. I honestly don't know if I can deal with the "hot, hot, hot" Do you know anything about Galveston and Corpus Christi? I've researched these two towns and it seems more to my likening. Is Galveston more family oriented though? I mean one day, I do hope to begin dating again... Thanks!
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 05:06 PM

Galveston and Corpus Christi are both hot, too. I also think it might be more difficult to be a newcomer in either of those places than in Houston or Austin.

In fact, everywhere in Texas is hot in the summer. I am used to the heat--it really doesn't bother me much--but if you are really concerned about the heat, you should think twice about moving to Texas.

Austin has some areas that are "small town" seeming; for that matter, so does Houston. However, greater Austin is 1.6 million population, so not a small town, by any means.

On the other hand, people in Texas are in general really nice, the winters are very mild, and the cost of living is low. The Austin area has more outdoor activities than Houston, especially with all the lakes, and is less humid. Houston has more in the way of museums, performing and visual arts, etc., and has great inexpensive ethnic restaurants.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Totally agree with Maryanne - Everywhere in Texas is hot hot hot in the summer. Summer started early here in AUstin - early May. It's already been 100 several times and mid to uppoer 90s every day since the middle of May. Unusual actually. "Summer" does start in May and lasts till September. This year it's been pretty brutal so far.

If weather is an issue, I think you might need to visit in the summer and also keep doing some research. My DH and I are thinking of leaving Austin mainly because of the heat. We don't like hibernating for 4 or 5 months a year because of the heat. However, most places you go you have to take the good with the bad. Just have to think how important the hot weather is to you.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 07:19 PM

Meant to add that if you do move to Texas, personally, I can't imagine living anywhere BUT Austin. To me, nothing compares. Austin has so much to offer -culture, music, beauty, parks, lakes, low cost of living, low crime.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 04:58 AM

You might be interested in this article from Kiplinger . . naming Houston as the best place in the USA to live and work,

http://www.kiplinger.com/magazine/ar...work-play.html
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 05:34 AM

Well, Rich beat me to it. Austin is also on that list. It doesn't mention weather. Despite the summer heat, the rest of the year can be very pleasant - and we don't need snow plows/shovels.

Austin (pop. 1.5+ mil) definitely has more of a small town feel than Houston (pop. 5.5+ mil) and it is certainly less humid. Although there are several areas inside Houston's 610 Loop that certainly have that small town feel. But there are differences in fine arts, museums, ethnicity, culture, sports, restaurants, etc. - just depends on your preferences. As to Houston, if you prefer water, lakes, you'd probably want to look at The Woodlands or Clear Lake areas. Many homes/neighborhoods in both cities have lots of pools.

Corpus and Galveston certainly offer the smaller town atmosphere and are very pleasant places, but aren't known as being heavy on the singles scene.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:11 AM

Being a Jersey girl, and having lived 2002-2005 in Houston, after which my husband retired, I will write you a detailed reply after this weekend. They are very different cities.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I do have to come and visit and see things for myself and determine if the heat is too much. At the end of the day, I don't know if any area will have it all. I know I'm tired of the snow but wonder if it'll be the same with the heat. At least I have the flexibility of being able to take my laptop and go somewhere else. I think the best thing I can do, is just rent for 6 months and take it from there. I have learned though, it's more about the people and surroundings than anything else - and that is what I'm most excited about. Thanks again!!
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 12:04 PM

Just remember, you don't have to shovel heat or humidity!

Based on your interests, I don't recommend Houston, as you mentioned you "do not want to be engulfed in the craziness of a big city". Houston proudly proclaims itself the 4th largest city in the country, and it sounds like that doesn't appeal to you.

Austin has far many more natural attractions and is far more comfortable because of the lower humidity. There are great watering holes such as Barton Springs which are a bone chilling 68 degrees year round, bound to cool off even the most warm natured person in 100 degree weather.

There are Lakes Austin and Travis and plenty of nature trails and things to do.

Come on down - you'll love it.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 05:34 PM

One of the nice things about Houston ( and there are many ) is that you live close or in a large metropolitan area, but can choose any of the smaller "neighborhoods" that match your style of living. Many houses in these areas have pools.

When you visit, be sure to check out the Heights . . the Richmond strip . . the outlying areas like Katy, Sugerland, Woodlands as well as the newer Loft developments in downtown.

The reason I live in Houston ( Other than 8 grandkids ) is access to first class sports NBA, NFL, MLB ) arts ( several world class Art Museums and Theaters) and, important to me, a large international airport where you can be anywhere in the World within 24 hours or less.

Summers are tough here . . Mid July thru early September is usually averaging in the high 90's with Humidity in the 80's ( if you have ever been to New Orleans in the Summer, it is virtually identical to our weather in Houston ) but September thru June is great.

I like Austin, and it has many advantages as well. I encourage you to sample both prior to making a decision.

As far as places to stay . . The Inn at the Ballpark will give you a feel for downtown and with a car, you can sample the other areas easily

Rich