August Trip-Need help

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
August Trip-Need help

Planning Alaska Trip for august. So far budgeted 8 days. Here is my wish list:
Day 1: Fly to Anchorage
Day 2,3: Denali - optional
Day 4: Girdwood- Tram, Winner Trail, Dog sled on Glacier (what is the best co. to use?)
Day 5,6,7: Seward - Kayak trip 1/2 day (need operator),Kenai Fjords NP cruise all day with Renown, Alaska wild Life Conservation Center,
Day 8: Need HELP - would like to go on fishing/bear watching combination trip, Prince William Sound kayaking, and snorkeling

Is there anything to do in Homer other than bear watching?
Is it better to stay centrally in Cooper Landing or Moose Pass?
Since we will be visiting NP and do other activities is trip to Denali really needed?
This will be my parents only trip to Alaska, and I would like it to be inclusive but not overwhelming (they are 75 yrs old).
Please HELP. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 09:39 AM

I would re-post this, with Alaska mentioned in the subject line ...
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 05:08 AM

There is only one company in Girdwood- probably, also Godwin's out of Seward for glacier dog sledding.

You have WAY too much listed for day 8.

Homer bear watching trips are raved about, but you need to add at least 2 days for that and not sure if your parents are up to the considerable walking needed??

Will they have a car rental. Staying in Moose Pass, Cooper Landing, and spending your time touring Seward, isn't ideal. You are better off in the location of interested activities.

Do you have an overnight flight home?? Anchorage airport needs a 2 hour window.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 08:34 PM

Eliminate snorkeling from your list. This is Alaska not Hawaii.

Your initial days sound fun. I agree, way too much on the final day.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 04:07 AM

In Seward we used www.alpineair.com
for the dog sledding. This is really incredible experience. Helicopter flight to glacier is great also.

check out www.kayakak.com in Seward.
we used them this past summer. We did the midnight sun tour. You leave @ 6pm and return about 10pm on that one.

we did our fishing/bear watching out of Soldotna. It is pretty drive to get there. we used www.highadventureair.com
It was awesome. Caught lots of Salmon and saw a lot of black bears within only a few feet of the boat. Saw only a couple of grizzlies from very far off.

The only thing we regret not doing (actually my daughter is the only one that regrets not doing) was the paragliding off the mountain at Alyeska. It did look cool.

It sounds like you are doing a lot of the things we did last summer. It was our first trip to Alaska. It was much more scenic than what I had imagined. The only thing we didn't like was not being able to sleep at night due to the sun always being up. The Alyeska Resort had very good shades on their windows, but everywhere else we stayed did not, so we felt like we were just taking an afternoon nap and not really getting good sleep at night. You might want to purchase some of those eye covering patch shade things.

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 04:09 AM

Unless your parents have kayaked before, I would be cautious of that one. It is a pretty serious workout.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 09:41 AM

@amdc-
I've got to disagree... coastal areas of Alaska have some of the most amazing underwater-sightseeing available anywhere in the world. Yes, you'll want a dry-suit... The snorkeling attractions (where they're offered) are a unique and interesting way to see part of the world that most folks never get to see.

@spirobulldog-
Check with the outfitter. Each Kayak tour has an exertion level unique to that tour.

@pknaster-
Sounds like a great, albeit short, trip. Be sure to plan a return someday so you can see the other 4/5 of the state!

-Case
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 01:17 PM

As far as the excusion level. We went on a family low excursion level. My daughter is 13 and is a top athlete. Regularly places in the top 3 in running events @ AAU events in Oklahoma. We went for 4 hours and you are using muscles that you don't normally use. It was definately worth it. But just wanted to make you aware of that before you set out on two all day kayak events. We not totally exhausted, but knew we had a good workout with only 4 hours of it. I suspect that if you workout upper body you would think it easier. Probably if you run distances it is going to be somewhat easier on you, but your muscles will still know it.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 01:18 PM

excursion, exertion. lost my train of thought and sense of spelling.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 01:21 PM

I think that Kenai Fjords Np cruise will be enjoyed by all, There are several great kayaking companies in seward, the on mentioned above and Advenure 60 north, they seem to be the local favorites here...check with the local water taxi guy, he will give you the straight scoop on the operators...have fun
Ps. the water taxi guy is aqetec water taxi,