Itinerary help please - SC Alaska in Aug

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our first trip to Alaska in Aug with great anticipation (and thanks for all the great postings that have helped shape the travel). 2 parents, 4 adult kids, one 10-yr old daughter. Please review and make suggestions for our itinerary. I know the Kenai Fjiords trips are very popular but we like to be active and don’t want to give up any of our other trips. Big mistake? Also, I really want to get a railroad trip in from Girdwood to Seward but can’t find a good way to fit it in – any suggestions? If we took a day long round trip rail trip from Girdwood to Seward is there enough to do without a car? Is there any point in taking the train from Girdwood to Whittier for the kayak trip? Is 2 nights in Homer in enough? It sounds from description like the kind of town I will love.

Day 1: Arrive Anchorage – drive to Girdwood, lodging: Hotel Alyeska
Day 2: All day kayak trip to Blackstone Bay from Whittier
Day 3: Chugach dog sled tour ½ day, then hike, bike or tram
Day 4: Full day Kenai River Canyon float trip
Day 5: Hike (Winner Gorge) or bike
Day 6: Drive to Seward for day – have lunch and see the Sea Life Center and then drive to Homer – lodging Lands End or Homer Inn
Day 7: Bear watching trip (Emerald Air?) from Homer
Day 8: Hike in or around Homer, return to Anchorage to fly out

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:10 AM

If you want to go bear watching with Emerald Air you need to make reservation today. They already have many dates fully booked in July and August. We had to go with a second choice. They take only 9 people per day. No, 2 days is not enough time in Homer.

Are you staying in Girdwood for 3-4 nights? Please, please, do not forgo Kenai Fjords National Park cruise. It is a spectacular place
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Wow thanks WayNorth for the heads up on Emerald Air - just called and had to pick another day but looks like we can fit it in. Planning 5 nights at Alyeska - thought we would make it a "base camp" for day trips - is that too much? Could stay a night or 2 in Seward but not big on frequently moving hotels. Will add a third in Homer. Will add Kenai Fjiords - a little worried about seasickness but sounds like it is a must see.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:58 AM

Our trip this July was very similar to yours. We did not do the Winner trail, and I am absolutely kicking myself for not doing it. We ate at the Japanese place in Alyeska, it was good. We took the tram to the top and just had lunch there. Inexpensive and good. Very good fish chowder. We did a glacier hike on top of the mountain, but I wouldn't do it again. It was kinda boring. I assume you are taking the helicopter and riding dogsled with Dario(high adventure air). He is on the travel channel on Anthony Bourdain(its the episode where Anthony makes ice cream out of fish fat)WATCH IT! That is what we did and found it incredible. I wouldn't drive to Seward for just the Sealife Center. It is ok, but nothing super. It is worth doing if you have an hour to kill. 2 hours would be plenty for most folks. I think you are making a huge mistake not doing the Kenai Fjords tour. We saw whales, puffins, calving glaciers. VERY NICE! We did Renown tours and really thought it was awesome. We combined a fishing trip with bear watching. We each caught our limit of sockeye salmon. We fished with black bears (saw at least 20 of them) less than 25 feet from our boat. They were there pretty much the entire time we fished. We saw grizzlies only from a long way off. The grizzes weren't near the salmon for some reason. If there is some way you can work a train ride in do it. Maybe on day 8 take the train from Seward to Anchorage. you can drop a hertz rental car off in Seward.

Highlights of our trip:
Dogsled on Glacier
Fishing/bears
Kenai Fjords
Kayaking in resurrection bay
Train ride

I don't know if you have been to Alaska before, but if you go hiking by yourself, go in a group and take bear spray. Bears are there. We nearly even hit one in our car. He was running across the road to the kenai river. Ton of people were there fishing. We barely missed him. I didn't stick around to see what everyone by the river did. If you see people fishing, there is a very good chance bears are close by. Fish=bears The only thing we didn't like about alaska was not being able to sleep because the sun never goes down. The Alyeska has very good shades, so we were able to sleep there. We were there with our 13 year old daughter. There is a ton of other stuff to do at Alyeska that looks good. From Anchorage to Seward is just one post card after another. You will enjoy it. It would have to be in my top 3 trips we have ever taken. Maybe #1. It ranks right up there with rafting the Grand Canyon. Another thing my daughter wished she had done was paraglide off the mountain. There is a lot of kayaking to be done in Seward. I don't know how it would compare to your kayaking trip. If it was to do all over again, We would try to Kayak near Glaciers. You can do this a variety of ways, if you need more info let me know.

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:09 AM

That's a lot of driving if you spend your nights in Girdwood -- especially if you spend it behind a line of RVs.

The train trip is nice, but spending that much time in the area and with hikes and floats, it's not that crucial.

Cooper Landing might be a better base if you don't want to do a lot of switching.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 05:40 AM

My opinion only, but basing out of Girdwood is not something I would ever consider. You are underestimating time and distances. It isn't a good day trip to Seward, then considering continuing on to Homer, not really worth even going to Seward.

With a bear watch priority, you need to strongly consider freeing up at least 2 full days. These tours cancel frequently and two full days are the min. to consider- again if a priority.

I go on Kenai Fjords boat trips, EVERY time I am in Alaska, since you are not going to Denali park , this is a fantastic wildlife opportunity. I would definately pick that over a Kenai River float trip, again, my opinion, having done both.

As only an option, I would spend 3 nights in Homer and one in Seward. Alaska is best seen and experienced by moving around.

As for the train, you can get by in Seward without a car, so you could consider a round trip train trip, with an overnight. No it really isn't worth the effort to consider Girdwood/Whittier. Follows the exact same route and has the exact same views as the road.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Yes, I agree about spending more time in Homer because of bear watching trip and there is a lot more to see and do than in Girdwood. Lynnalan, I understand you don't want to change hotels too often but BudgetQueen is so right. Don't base yourself in Girdwood. Traveling in Alaska is very different than anywhere else. Maybe you should consider staying in Girdwood for 2 nights, then move to Seward for 2 more nights and finally go to Homer for 3 nights. You are not going to Denali NP? Sad!
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 08:48 AM

While there will be some duplication between your Blackstone Bay trip and Kenai Fjords, it's probably not as much as you're expecting.

You could shuffle a few things around to make it easier.
Day 1: Arrive Anchorage – drive to Girdwood, lodging: Hotel Alyeska
Day 2: All day kayak trip to Blackstone Bay from Whittier. Drive to Seward.
Day 3: Hike in Seward area (Caines Head tidal trail or Harding Icefield and Exit Exit Glacier Mitch Seavey sled dogs. Lots of good choices.
Day 4: Kenai Fjords tour
Day 5: Upper Kenai River float. Driver to Homer
Day 6: Bear watch day 1
Day 7: Bear watch 2 -- or tidal pool hike. Pratt Museum or trip to Halibut Cove or Seldovia.
Day 8: Return to Anchorage, stopping at Alyeska tram if there's time before flight.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 04:48 PM

I wouldn't skip Girdwood. The dogsledding alone is worth the trip there. Being isolated on a glacier in the middle of nowhere with 50 dogs is really an experience. I think one day would be fine there. I wouldn't miss the Kenai Fjords. I agree with others that the float down Kenai River might could be skipped.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

ok thanks everyone for the great feedback. Here is our new plan with a couple of additional questions:
Day 1 arrive Anchorage late
Day 2 travel to Alyeska, tram, bike
Day 3 Kenai raft day trip lodging Alyeska
Day 4 Dog sled, hike Winner Gorge lodging Alyeska
Day 5 1/2 day Kayak trip from Whittier, drive to Seward - lodging Seward
Day 6 Kenai Fjords tour, lodging Seward
Day 7 Hike exit Glacier, Drive to Homer
Day 8 open in Homer - fish? hike? enjoy the town
Day 8 Bears - lodging Homer
Day 9 return to Anchorage for evening flight
I am exploring bear options and weather issues - we are currently limited by availability of Emerald Air. Also - we will cut either the kayak trip or the rafting trip to 1/2 day. We thought the full day Kenai Canyon rafting tour sounded more fun (described as "spirited" vs. "serene" for only the Upper Kenai). Appreciate any feedback on kayak from Whittier vs rafting on Kenai - which should be full and which 1/2 day. Yes, sad not to get to Denali, I agree. But looking forward to a great week and coming back!! Many thanks for the suggestions.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 04:43 AM

Repete, offers an excellent itinerary. Are you aware that there is also glacier dog sledding out of Seward with Godwin's. Another top long time Alaska vender??

As only my opinion. I would not consider anything less than 2 full days in Homer,
(you list 2 day 8's??) if that is the only reason you are going there is for the bear tour. It's necessary to have the booking, your first available day. IF you are canceled, Emerald Air, should offer you space for the next available time, that's how it frequently works.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Hi lynnalan,

While I don't have nearly as much experience traveling in Alaska as many who post here regularly, I took my first trip to Alaska this past July. It was a fantastic 8-night trip to South Central Alaska. I probably spent well over a hundred hours planning this trip, and learned much from various sources including Fodors's.

Like you, I do not like moving around from hotel to hotel very much, so I decided to spend two nights in Girdwood at the Hotel Alyeska and six nights in Homer at the Lands End Lodges. The Lands End Lodges are beautiful condos right on the water next to Land End Resort. I would highly recommend the Lodges over the Resort/Hotel. The larger condos should be big enough for all seven in your group, and could even end up being less expensive than the Resort/Hotel. I would have liked to have spent some time in Seward, but decided to leave that for a future trip.

Some of the many highlights of this trip included a boat trip in Whittier with Sound Eco Adventures, two days of bear viewing with Emerald Air in Homer, and a day kayaking with True North in Homer.

With seven people in your group, I don't believe that it is absolutely necessary to have an extra day after your bear viewing trip. If your bear viewing trip is cancelled due to weather, I don't believe that Emerald Air would have seven open spots the following day. I would think that the smaller your group for bear viewing, the easier it would be to reschedule.

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about Homer, Girdwood, or Whittier.

L2S

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 09:59 AM

I'm thinking on day 2 you might want to do the winner gorge hike then. Are you really into biking? I don't think you would spend more than 3 hours on the tram ride, even with lunch. You can walk up to a very small glacier on the top of the tram, about1/2 mile from tram I would guess. Also, DO TAKE PEPPER SPRAY, everywhere and have at least 4 to a group, make noise. My daughter and I were by ourselves and go so freaked out on our Exit Glacier hike, that we turned around and came back. The rangers had signs posted everywhere, saying "multiple sightings of bears with cubs" they had dated the signs with the last 3 days. We were there early in the morning with virtually noone else around. I think we just got into each others heads and scared ourself. Have you seen the pictures of how you get across Winner Gorge on the hand trolley. It is so cool! Renown tours is good tour out of Kenai. Whoever you take make sure you are going all the way to a glacier. Exit Glacier is totally different than the tidewater glaciers. Mosqutioes are pretty bad in Girdwood, just take bug spray. The mosquitoes will even be on the glacier at the top of the tram. I still hope you can somehow work in a train ride while there as well. you are going to have a great time no matter what you see and do.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Why don't you do the kayaking in Seward and skip whittier? That would save you some time driving. We did the midnight sun tour there with www.alaskakayak.com. 4 hours was enough for us, but you might want more. I don't think a 10 year old could go much more than that, unless she has older brother who is willing to do the majority of the paddling.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 05:33 AM

I agree 100 percent you need at least two full days in Homer since there is so much more to do than just to take a floatplane for your bear watching trip. Further, if your bear watching trip is canceled one day you have almost no chance to fit 7 people on the next day on any flight with Emerald or any other, less popular, company but your family may want to decide before your trip who would still go in case this tour on your original date is canceled but they have, let say, two seats available on the next day. Do not twice about sending only some people from your party. Make sure someone who takes great pictures and or videos is going go. I know it is a tough choice but this may be only way to do it. Last year we went with Emerald Air once and then wanted to go one more time but they only had one seat available. So there I went while my husband did kayaking trip to Iceberg Lake and we both had a great time.

Another suggestions, why won't you reverse you itinerary? Start with going to Homer, then Seward and finally Girdwood. If you stay in Girdwood in the end if your trip you can do many things on the day of your flight that evening. It is only 45 minutes to get to the airport from Girdwood. It is 5 hours from Homer to the airport and you need to add more time because of delays that sometimes is hard to predict in Alaska. This way if you do Girdwood in the end of your trip you won't have to sit for alt least 5 hours in a car while traveling from Homer and and then sitting on a plane for who knows how long.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again to all for the feedback and BudgetQueen sorry for my typo - we are spending day 8 and 9 in Homer and then traveling on day 10 back to Anchorage. That will give us 3 nights in Homer. . . 1/2 day on arrival (may nix Exit Glacier), 1 day free, 1 day Bears (fingers crossed for weather), 1/2 day before travel to ANC (10 pm flight). WayNorth I have entertained the reverse itinerary and not ruled it out but view Homer as my "dessert" and saving the best for last. Also we hope to rent a house there which I think will be fun for our family. Love2ski - having done water trips in Homer and Whittier how does the scenery compare? Still trying to decide whether to kayak in Kachemak Bay or Prince Wm Sound. Yes Spriobulldog you pegged it - our daughter will likely be added weight in the kayak with big brother or dad! The suggestions are great and my whole family thanks you all for taking the time to review and post.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 07:20 PM

Comparing the water trips:

PWS from Whittier is the most fjord-like with more glaciers close it.

Resurrection Bay from Seward is a little bigger water with more wildlife

Kachemak Bay doesn't have the fjord- like areas and as many tidewater glaciers as the other two, but is still beautiful and has nice beaches, depending on your locale. A bonus is that if you're in an area with views out to Cook Inlet you can see volcanos in the distance.

All have decent areas, it depends where the outfitters take you ... and if the weather's bad it could seem like a foggy day on Lake Dubuque.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Repete sums up the differences between the locations well. Both Prince William Sound and Kachemak Bay are beautiful, but I'd probably pick Prince William Sound. As repete mentioned, it is more fjord-like, with steeper terrain adjacent to the water and many tidewater glaciers. One disadvantage to Whittier is that in general it has much more rain than Homer, based on historical weather data from www.weatherbase.com. However, when I kayaked in Homer, it was raining and I had a great day.

In terms of the kayaking, you mentioned kayaking in Blackstone Bay, which would be near the tidewater glaciers. I would really love to do this as it sounds spectacular. I don't believe that any of the kayaking companies in Homer offer kayaking near tidewater glaciers in Kachemak Bay. One company in Homer offers a combined hike and kayak near a glacier, but the kayaking is in a lake near the glacier. So, if I had to choose, I would probably try the kayaking in Prince William Sound.

I'm sure you know this, but make sure you check the tunnel schedule online for getting to Whittier, as the tunnel is only open for about 15 minutes each hour.

By the way, on my two days with Emerald Air, I saw 34 different bears one day and 41 different bears the other day. Some bears were as close as 15-20 feet, but because of Chris Day I never even felt nervous. It was absolutely amazing. As for weather in Alaska, all you can do is cross your fingers and hope for the best.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful and valuable responses. I know we will have a better trip with these suggestions!