Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Itinerary for Alaska Trip - Any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:27 PM
RP
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are an active family (children ages 12 and 7) who have traveled a lot and have short attention spans.

Wanted to get advise on this itinerary -

8/21 Fly into Fairbanks
8/22 Fairbanks (El Dorado Mine), river cruise looks so so; drive to Denali for overnight
8/23 Shuttle to Eilson - spend day in park; overnight Denali
8/24 Matanuska Glacier (extra day - any suggestions for other options) - drive to Seward (we don't know how far this is)?
8/25 Kenai Fjord Cruise - full day or half overnight Seward
8/26 Exit Glacier; drive to Homer for overnight
8/27 Bear Viewing (Emerald Air or Hallo Bay)? Overnight Homer
8/28 Drive to Whittier and visit Portage Glacier; board one way Princess cruise to Vancouver

Questions: Should we do the full day Kenai Fjord cruise since we'll be going to Glacier Bay etc? Is it worth going to Matanuska? We plan on trekking on the Glacier but just the one hour trip. Any other suggestions? We don't fish. In Homer should we do Emerald Air or Hallo Bay for the bear trip?
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 03:51 AM

I can only comment on one leg of your trip. When we drove from Wasilla to Seward we didn't arrive until almost supper time. We got a late start, stopped for lunch at the Moose's Tooth in Anchorage. Stopped at several scenic vistas. Took the tram ride to the top of Mt Alyeska and spent time ogling the great view and having our pictures taken standing in some snow in August. If we had driven straight thru I think the trip would have been 3 hours. We also stopped at a marsh and enjoyed the boardwalk but didn't see any birds. Time of day is probably critical hear. Also, the tide was out so we didn't have a chance to see any whales (Beluga point?).
My son said he liked the Sea Life Center in Seward so that is something else your family might want to do. There are two sets of orphaned twin bear cubs at the Anchorage zoo. In both cases the mothers were shot because they were causing trouble in neighborhoods. You might read the background stories on the Anchorage Daily News website. It's a good opportunity to learn more about life in Alaska.
Hope you have a great time. Our second visit to Alaska is about to start.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 05:33 AM

On a week long trip, I would skip Fairbanks completely and spend the extra day somewhere else. No one I know who has visited Fairbanks has had much of anything to say about it.

I think it is about a 6-7 hour drive from Denali to Seward. Would be better to break this into two separate days if you can.

I strongly suggest the full day Kenai Fjord cruise as it goes farther out and provides better viewing opportunities of sea/wild life.

You may also want to consider Bald Mountain Air for bear viewing in Homer. We used them about 4 years ago and had an excellent experience. They have been in business for quite awhile and have a good reputation. Don't know how costs compare.

If you and the family enjoy fishing, you could spend a day halibut fishing in Homer or salmon fishing in the Kenai.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:01 AM

I think the kids would be bored on the full day Kanai Fjords tour. Go for the 5 or 6 hour tour and use the extra time to visit the Sea Life Center either before or after.

On the same road as Exit Glacier is the Seavey Ididaride dog sled kennel. I think your kids, and you too, would enjoy it.

Homer is kind of a long drive from Seward for just one night especially if all you are going to do is take a bear viewing flight. I'm wondering if you couldn't take one out of Seward or maybe Anchorage to avoid some long drive times???
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:24 AM

Did you already arrange your flights to Fairbanks? I found Fairbanks very interesting but with your limited time I would skip it this time, unless you already have your flights booked.
You got some interesting suggestions here.

IMHO, you are trying too much in a very short time.

"8/23 Shuttle to Eilson - spend day in park; overnight Denali
8/24 Matanuska Glacier (extra day - any suggestions for other options) - drive to Seward (we don't know how far this is)?"

You would leave 8/24 from Denali, right? You want to visit Matanuska Glacier and continue to Seward? All in one day?
Skip Matanuska this time. It will be a very long drive Denali-Matanuska- Seward. Don't forget ongoing road constructions. You need an extra time to get wherever you are going.

RP, I'm glad you decided to spend two nights in Homer. There is so much to do. I just suggested to a friend of mine who is going to Alaska for one week in the end of August to spend one night in Anchorage, three nights in Seward and three nights in Homer. Don't try to do too much. I know how hard it is to chose with all these interesting things to do everywhere in Alaska. This is a reason why so many of us return to Alaska many times.

I already gave you my comments under your other post on bear watching trip. Please read them
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 04:50 PM
RP
Original Poster

THanks for all of your responses... however i need to clear a few things up.

First we have already booked the flight into fairbanks.

Second we looked into Bald Mountain for homer but we didnt find it as interesting as Emerald or Hallo. We were looking into Bear Viewing from Anchorage or Seward, but we wanted the best trips, Seward has no trips and Anchorage does not seem nearly as good as anything in homer.

We know that there is much to do and see in certain areas but as I mentioned we have short attention spans as far as sightseeing goes. We dont fish.

Thanks for your suggestions on Kenai Fjords cruises and driving times.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 05:03 PM

One more vote for Emerald air. They are the best outfitter in Alaska. We loved a day trip with them. Your children won't be disappointed and you are going to be surprised at their long attention span on this trip.
You won't have a time for matansuka glacier
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:07 AM

Do you have THE MILEPOST- be sure to get one, you need a copy for independent travel. From Denali park to Anchorage you need to allow 6 hours, then ANOTHER 3 to Seward. (allows a cushion for stops etc) Matanuska glacier is not doable on your timeframe. I have to strongly disagree- I travel to Fairbanks frequently and it is a GEM of a city with excellent activities and attractions- but you aren't there long enough?? if you go to Denali Park the same day?? Request their visitor guide- www.explorefairbanks.com my suggestion- overnight in Fairbanks 2 nights, and move Denali Park shuttle to 8-24. The decide on EITHER Seward or Homer. I found some of the bear viewing tours too primitive for me- hip boot hiking, carrying in and out- toilet paper etc. Ask a lot of questions, there are no bear tours out of Seward. If you choose Seward- you need at least 6 hours on the water to get out of the bay and have the most opportunities for wildlife viewing. Be prepared if prone- for seasickness- VERY COMMON. Be certain to have games and extra batteries for the kids. Frankly they just aren't interested in scenery for long.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 11:14 AM

8/23 and 26 are great tours. Don't forget Deet.