Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

August Osage or Come Back Little Sheba - any reviews from Fodorites?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to decide between the two, unfortunately only time for one show during an upcoming visit to NYC -

anyone seen either? HowardR? Neo? All you fabulous New Yorkers ?? Would love to hear what any of you have to say if you saw it or what you've heard -

Thanks -
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 05:48 PM

I've seen August: Osage county. Very good but very heavy (although Come Back Little Sheba is not light). Not sure how to tell you to decide.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks McLaurie
I'm sure they are both excellent - just thought maybe someone had seen both and had a "leaning towards"

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 07:18 AM
TC

Saw August-Osage County in January. It is outstanding! I think (and had agreement from all our theater going friends) that its A MUST SEE. It will surely sweep the Tony's. Yes, it is a bit heavy in spots, but is also hillariously funny. The acting is the best I've seen in years. We were all mesmerized for the entire three hours. Its like reading a great big wonderful novel, filled with fantastically complex characters -- the kind you hate to see come to an end - and really hope for a sequel.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 07:43 AM

I couldn't bear another second with those characters. Sorry. I do agree it will sweep awards and it is a must see for serious theater goers though.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 11:41 AM

I see a lot and thought August was wonderful - I wouldn't be surprised if it wins a Pulitzer - very well written, but mostly it's about the acting - truly wonderful - and I think it was the lead's Bway debut. Just be aware that it is very long -over 3 hrs.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

well we tried for August: Osage tix but no go for the weekend I will be there, but did find tix to Come Back LIttle Sheba so that settled that one

thanks !
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Just thought I'd return to report we saw

Come Back Little Sheba on the January weekend and S Epatha Merkerson was so wonderful - playing the role with just the right temperment - and Kevin Anderson as Doc really impressed -and Brenda Wehle was excellent -- for me anyway, I thought the rest of the cast was ok but nothing memorable - but the rest of them made up for it and I loved the set.

AND

August: Osage County: Was in NYC again for Easter Weekend - and for that magnificent Orchid Show at NYBotanical Garden - and did see August: OC -
which was BRILLIANT -
as far as my husband, daughter and I were concerned - and that was all my husband said several times while exiting the theater - 'Brilliant, just brilliant"

the acting was superb - the characters amazing - and yes, it had moments we laughed out loud, moments we cringed, moments that were dark, and moments that bordered on a few I've seen at family reunion dinners over the years myself -

the three hours, for us , FLEW by -the two quick 10 minute intermissions were just enough - and my husband was leaning forward for the last half hour -
I haven't had actors mesmerize me like that on stage for a long time - and the writing was smart and clean

I think this review is spot on:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/34wnyx

The first visit we also had magnificent tea at Lady Mendl's and fabulous dinner at Hearth -
details are in trip report:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=35105078

Didn't do report for second trip, but we had yet again, another great meal at Roberto Passon and breakfast at Maison beginning with a plate of beignets....and a fun night at Dos Caminos on 825 3rd @ 50th - with great tequilas and an amazing skirt steak - and lots of good sides - and I loved the decor

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

meant to post this review , but the former is good too, but this was my top save review on August: Osage County which was from the NYTimes in Dec/ 07

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2297jc
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 08:44 AM
TC

Escargot, Thanks for reporting back. Didn't see Come Back Little Sheba and it sounds like I missed a very good show. Coincedentally, Brenda Wehl was a member of our own Guthrie Theater acting company for many years and is a brilliant actress. So happy to hear she's doing well in NY.

I loved August: OC so much that we have tickets to see it again in May for our annual pre-Tony theater week. Seeing lots of other great sounding shows, but just had to squeeze that one in again.

Thanks for the report and restaurant recommendations.