Search

ATTIRE IN NEW MEXICO

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATTIRE IN NEW MEXICO

Hi!

My husband and I leave next week for Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos. I was wondering what type of clothing to wear. We are from center city Philadellphia and are accustomed to dressing for dinner and theater, but I understand New Mexico is more causual. Advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joan
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:35 PM

DH and I did Santa Fe, Taos & Albuquerque in early April. Plan on casual. I had a nice jacket that I wore over slacks & jeans. DH had dockers and jeans with collared polo shirt.
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks SuzieTrue!

Sort of what I was planning on for day time, so I will go ahead. How about dinners in the really nice restaurants?

Joan
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:57 PM

You will see everything from jeans and t-shirts to nice slacks with a jacket at top restaurants. So wear whatever you are comfortable wearing. DH and I are going to Santa Fe next week (we go once or twice a year) and are eating a a couple of the top restaurants and he will most likely wear jeans and a black silk shirt or silk T with a black leather jacket, if its cool, and I'll wear black linen unstructured long or cropped pants and a cotton T with maybe a little linen jacket and a great necklace-turquoise, of course.

Which restaurants are you going to?
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks MartyM!

Dinner attire sounds just right for both....will have to buy myself some turquoise.
We have reservations at Bien Shur in the Sandia, the Balleen and Geronimo in Santa Fe and De La Tierra in the Hotel El Monte Sagrado in Taos.
Am open to any suggestions...we are newbies to NM.
Joan
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

That is the dinner attire of linens & silks!
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:40 PM

Some restaurant suggestions for Santa Fe--
La Boca -- wonderful tapas, casual http://sfreporter.com/articles/publish/rg-07-roy.php
Upscale--The Compound-off Canyon Road--the chef and the food are fabulous
http://www.compoundrestaurant.com/
Trattoria Nostrani--have eaten there twice during the last year--wonderful northern Italian
http://www.trattorianostrani.com/
And if you have time 10,000 Waves is a lovely Japanese style spa outside of Santa Fe--we usually just get a private tub for an hour (we like the waterfall tub) though we have had massage treatments there also. If you are interested, reservations are a good ideal http://www.tenthousandwaves.com/

A couple of restaurant suggestions in Taos--for dinner Sabroso-in Arroyo Seco--maybe 15-20 minutes from the Taos Plaza --has a great patio http://www.sabrosotaos.com/
And for lunch --right on the main street http://www.grahamstaos.com/
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

MaryM
As we love wine & tapas bars and having a casual evening sounds good to us....we will plan on La Boca.
We are planning on taking the High Road out of Santa Fe to Taos and are thinking about stopping for a late lunch at the Stakeout Grill & Bar (the view I understand is great) in Ranchos de Taos. Ever heard of it?
Wish we had time for a "spa day," but not this trip, as we will only be away 8 nights.
Thank you for being so helpful!
Joan

Old May 11th, 2008, 12:30 PM
emd

Joan, if you like tapas and wine, you might want to try El Farol on Canyon rd. in Santa Fe. Very friendly people, casual, great live music in the bar, very good tapas menu and wines. I liked it so much I ate there 2 times in my 5 days in Santa Fe and went for live music 3 nights. They have a website...
Old May 11th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

El Farol sounds good as well, particularly in that they have live music. Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM

I'd have to disagree with EMD on El Farol. Its definitely an up scale bar(no smoking!) but I'd say the Tapas are fine..but nothing outstanding. Eat inside or on the front porch if you can..the back "patio" isn't really a patio and is a bit cheesy.
Old May 11th, 2008, 04:59 PM
emd

I disagree w/artman. The back patio at El Farol was nice. I had wisteria growing over my table, it was not cheesy at all, and people (including me) were choosing to be seated out there on the weekend Sat. and Sunday early evening when I was there, instead of inside.

The restaurant is good, and the selection of tapas and entrees is very good. The bar is good, very friendly service. The music is OUTSTANDING. NY Times called El Farol one of the best music bars on earth. I make it a point to listen to live music in as many places as possible when I travel, and the 3 nights I heard live music there were high on my list of the best small music venues I've been to in the U.S.

I met some very nice local people at El Farol. THere was a couple who were celebrating the fella's receiving his immigration status that day; he was Peruvian and we spent the evening in the bar talking about Peru, how he and his wife got to Santa Fe, etc. And I met several other locals in both the restaurant and the bar. It was a very memorable part of my trip.

I have not been to LA Boca, so can't compare the two re the food. I don't know if La Boca has the same type of scene w/live music and locals, that El Farol does. But El Farol was very good on many levels.
Old May 11th, 2008, 05:59 PM
TaxFreeTravel

We did Tucson, Santa Fe, Albq. & Taos last fall. It was great..very casual attire, for the most part. When in Santa Fe, stop by & see the LaFonda hotel on the square. Gorgeous!

Old May 12th, 2008, 04:54 AM

Having done both El Farol and La Boca--go to El Farol for entertainment and to La Boca for the food. BTW, the chef/owner of La Boca was the long-time chef at El Farol. Feel the food quality at El Farol has suffered since his departure.