Atlanta - Washington DC - What not to miss??

Oct 25th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Laura

Atlanta - Washington DC - What not to miss??

Hi all,

I was to spend a week in Washington DC next May, but have now decided to spend the week driving up and spending a few days and driving back. My Mom and I will arrive in Atlanta, GA (direct flight from Ireland)and will arrive back there more or less a week later, but we are not too tied to time.
We are meeting an aunt and will then go and visit Nashville and the Carolinas. My question is, what should we not miss between Atlanta and Washinton DC? I am thinking that we will drive a different route there and back, but I have no idea what's in between, or how long it takes? I would love any advice you can give me? We love small towns, nice scenery and basically anything that is worth a side trip for.

Many thanks, Laura

Oct 25th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Debbie

Hi Laura,

How about stopping in Charleston, South Carolina and/or Savannah, Georgia? Both are quaint old towns. They're not old by Irish standards, but this is the US. Both date to the time of the American Revolution. There are also nice restaurants and plenty of choices of lodging too. The Outer Banks of S. Carolina is somewhat out of your way but might be another place to consider.

What about Historic Williamsburg? I've never actually been there, but it's meant to be good.

During your time in Atlanta, I recommend you stay in either Buckhead or Midtown. It's convenient to most of the touristy stuff and many yummy restaurants. I do not think you should stay near the airport or downtown. It's seedy and there's nothing to do around downtown at night.

Let us know what interests you most and we can give more suggestions.
Debbie

PS The drive from Atlanta to DC takes about 11-12hrs w/o stopping...

Oct 25th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Laura

We plan to visit Savannah and Charleston later on with my aunt, so that wouldn't be on the agenda for the extra with with my Mom. I looked at the maps and see that we would mostly travel thru Virginia and North Carolina, so I guess I'm looking for ideas in that neck of the woods. I've heard that the Outer Banks is beautiful, so maybe we would travel back that way, but I was kind of thinking of places Virginia way.

I'm guessing that we would take have two overnight stops going to and from Washington, but I'm not sure where!

Thanks! Laura

Oct 25th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Debbie

Are you going to Ashville w/your aunt? If not that might be somthing to think about. It's in the mountains, is artsy-craftsy and had the Biltmore House (a Vanderbilt mansion)

Will keep thinking and post again later. Have a good weekend.
Debbie

Oct 26th, 2002, 11:15 AM
laura

Hi again,

Ashville sounds great - would love any other suggestions!

Thanks, Laura

Oct 28th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Laura

topping!

Oct 28th, 2002, 10:19 AM
xxx

Asheville is a very good choice but it will be about 3 hours out of the way. The Grove Park Inn and The Richmond Hill Inn are two favorite places to stay. Expensive but well worth it. As far as other places to stop along that route, there isn't much that is great along I85 or I95 except for Richmond Virginia but an out of the way place is Charlottesville Virginia.

Oct 29th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Laura

I've been looking at Asheville and it looks like a great place to stay, so I think we'll go there on the way up, but what about on the way back? Any thoughts?

Laura

Search this Thread