Atlanta Hotel and Restaurant

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be traveling to Atlanta for 2 nights in October w/ husband and 2 teenage sons for Atlanta Falcons game. I have booked rooms at Sheraton Suites Galleria. Does anyone know anything about this hotel or should I look into another hotel? Also, need a restuarant suggestion for my husband's birthday dinner - something nice and fun since the boys will be going w/ us.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:51 AM
iceeu2

janiekins, I stayed in that Sheraton Suites a gazillion years ago and it was really nice. There is also an Embassy Suites in that same area and the Waverly Renaissance.

As far as restaurants...I must bow out..but, the boys may enjoy Dave & Buster's.

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:51 AM

When I was in Atlanta a few years ago, we went to the Cheesecake Factory in Buckhead for dinner. That was fun and seemed like it would be a fun place to take teens. I don't know how close it is to your hotel though.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:51 AM
iceeu2

I guess starrsville, OWJ and syd are all sleeping in this morning. There's a Cheesecake Factory at Perimeter that is probably easier to get to than Buckhead....Maggiano's might be fun for a family style Italian feast.

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 09:14 AM

Is there a reason you want to stay so far out of town? If not, I'd recommend staying somewhere closer in (Buckhead, Midtown) so you can take MARTA to the game.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Is the Sheraton Suites Galleria far out of town??? If so, can you recommend somewhere closer to town to stay.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Brian in Charlotte - can you recommend a great hotel in Buckhead of Midtown?
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 09:42 AM

The Galleria area is out in Cobb County, NW of the city near the intersection of I-285 and I-75. The folks in Atlanta who drive 30 miles one way to work may not consider it "far out", but if you're visiting for a game, I'd recommend staying closer.

For you and your family, I'd think Buckhead would be the best option - lots of hotel/restaurants/entertainment choices and you can easily take the subway to the game. You can do a search here for Buckhead Hotels for more options, but I'd recommend the Embassy Suites on Peachtree.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 10:18 AM
iceeu2

janiekins, thought maybe you were staying out at the Galleria for a specific reason....

check out biddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com for informed priceline bidding. I recently stayed at the InterContinental in Buckhead for $65 and am staying this weekend at the Grand Hyatt in Buckhead for $65. Both priceline bids....lots of people get the Omni downtown for a great rate..
If you want a suite hotel in the midtown area...there's Marriott Suites.
If you do decide to stay in the Buckhead area, you can ride Marta to the game...but I don't think Marta goes out as far as the Galleria area.

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 11:16 AM

marta and cobb county have never really gotten along...long story...

just so you know, you're probably about 15 minutes from the dome without any traffic (not sure how crowded the interstate gets before a falcons game, but at least its a sunday)...of course parking has to be taken into consideration...

the closest nice restaurant i can think of in that area is canoe (http://www.americascuisine.com/atlanta/canoe.html) although i wouldn't necessarily call it a "fun" place - has a nice view, though...there are other good restaurants, though--my favorite japanese restaurant in town, umezono (http://www.umezono.us/) is in the area...
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 11:33 AM

I agree with Brian that the Embassy Suites on Peachtree in Buckhead would be a great choice. You can walk to MARTA, restaurants and shopping. There is an ESPN Zone right next to the Cheesecake Factory on Peachtree - a mile or so from the Embassy Suites. That might be more fun for dinner for the boys - so long as you don't mind burgers and such for a birthday dinner. Otherwise, I'm sure you'll get other suggestions.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 01:13 PM

A place I always stay is the Marriott Courtyard in Buckhead. You can see the MARTA station from the hotel, and the rates are very reasonable. Good luck.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:34 PM

This is OWJ2 responding. My wife has really dropped the ball on this one. If you can stay in Buckhead or Midtown, you might like the area better. The Galleria is a fine location but for a Falcon Game it would not be the best spot. If you have a car than it would be okay. If not, stay in Buckhead. The Grand Hyatt and the Intercontinental are both walking distance from some of our finest restaurants. You are also walking distance from 2 great shopping malls, Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza. There is also the MARTA station a block away. Have fun here in our great city and I will wake my wife up a little earlier next time.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:26 PM

Hi Janiekins,
I agree w/my husband about staying in Buckhead or Midtown and definately consider pricelining 2 rooms for you and your kids. My one caveat is that priceline is only good if you don't care what size beds your rooms are equipped with--but as Iceeu2 has discovered, great hotels can be had for decent prices.

Regarding restaurants--ESPN Zone would be a place the kids would probably like but the food isn't anything to write home about. Maggiano's is a really decent chain and the family dinner would be great w/teenagers b/c it's all you can eat.

I'm happy to come up with other dining options, just tell me what kinds of food you like and price range.

OWJ

My husband and I had tickets to Phillips Arena last weekend (spitting distance from the GA Dome) We had dinner at a really good but really cheap Italian restaurant called Figo before the show. Figo is on Howell Mill Rd. so you would need a car but it's super convenient to the Dome and the food is far superior than stadium fare. We shared a salad and each had pasta--the check was only $22!! You order at the counter and they bring out your order...it's a funky little place w/fresh, tasty food. Just a thought

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:02 PM

Figo is indeed a nice little place. I like to get their mushroom ravioli. And their herb bread is very tasty!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:11 PM

Atlswan--My husband had the wild mushroom ravioli and my fork somehow found it's way onto his plat The Sciliana sauce is really good too!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:12 PM

I'm awake! Go with the Buckhead suggestion. Plenty of hotels, including Embassy Suites, Westin, Intercontinental...
Maggiano's across the street. Cheesecake Factory is nearby, but not walkable. Teenage sons will love ESPN Zone. You can probably take BUCRIDE (I think it's a free shuttle but I'll have to check on that) to these venues. Shopping is good at Lenox and Phipps Plaza. You can Marta to game too.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Oh my, I need to edit...Siciliana sauce is how I think it's spelled! And I meant plate, not plat!