Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to stay Midtown or Buckhead in Atlanta?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a previous post,Going to Atlanta where to eat and drink. I told this forum that I had made plans to stay in the downtown atlanta area. I thought that was good part of the city to stay in. I was informed that I must stay in the midtown area or buckhead area. I would like your recommendations on which part of the city is best for the nightlife. Could you recommed a hotel that is centrally located so that we can walk to shops, restuarant and bars.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 10:00 PM

Good grief! How many times are you going to ask the question?

Midtown.

Downtown is DEAD at night. The only folks that are there are folks there for a convention. You don't want to be walking around downtown and I can't think of bars that would be a draw.

Buckhead USED to the the nightime place to be. It has plenty of bars and restaurants. It is NOT a walkable section of town. If you are "doing" Buckhead, plan to drive from location to location. If you plan to do bars in Buckhead, plan to cab from location to location.

Midtown USED to be a dead section of town and NO ONE walked it after dark. It WAS pretty sleazy. It has undergone a resurgance in the last 18 months and it is THE in-town residential place to be. Hi-rise condos are going up, Peachtree Street is well lit and there are folks walking and enjoying restaurants and bars. If you want to WALK places at night in Atlanta, Midtown is the best bet. Bar none. No contest. Neither Downtown or Buckhead comes close as as WALKABLE option at night.

Hotel options include the Georgian Terrace and the Hotel Indigo right next to one another. The Hotel Indigo is the Holiday Inn group's first foray into boutique hotels and it is a very cool, very funky place to stay - but the rooms are small. Both are at Peachtree and 3rd. Further up Peachtree, my next favorite place would be the Sheraton - but it is closed and becoming a W Hotel. Nearby is the Wyndham - and is a great place to stay. The BEST place to stay is the Four Seasons - by far. The best place to stay in Atlanta. If that's too pricey, look into the the Marriott Suites next door. A less pricey option is the Best Western on W. Peachtree. I'd rather be right on P'tree, but it's a good deal with decent reviews.

Downtown - dead at night.
Buckhead - lots of bars, but you drive/cab to them.
Midtown - lots of bars/ restaurants and is walkable.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 10:16 PM

This is where I would stay (unless my pockets were deep enough for the Four Seasons) -
http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/ATLMA/...in.wnt?param=1