Old Apr 14th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlanta: Emory Hospital Area - Staying With a Relative for Surgery

A relative is having surgery at Emory Hospital:

Emory University Hospital
1364 Clifton Road, NE
Atlanta, Georgia 30322

I will be staying with them and it may be for a couple of days. The doctors estimate 1 to 3 days in the hospital. The hospital's website lists these hotels as the nearest:

University Inn
1767 North Decatur Road (0.4 mile)
Decatur, GA 30307
404-634-7327 or 1-800-654-8591

Emory Conference Center Hotel
1615 Clifton Road, NE (0.6 mile)
Atlanta, GA 30322
404-712-6000 or 1-800-933-6679

Emory Inn
1641 Clifton Road, NE (0.66 mile)
Atlanta, GA 30322
404-712-6700 or 1-800-933-6679

Holiday Inn Express – Emory
2183 North Decatur Road (1 mile)
Decatur, GA 30033
404-320-0888 or 1-800-465-4329

Does anyone have info or feedback on them and the area? Are there any decent restaurants within a mile or so? I will have a car but the area is very congested. I am wondering if any of the hotels have shuttles to the hospital?

I want to be very close in case I'm needed and must rush back to the hospital. I will probably be at the hospital most of the day and into the evening. Will need the hotel for a little relaxation and sleeping.

Am I correct in my assumption that the parking is across the street from the hospital and is accessed by a pedestrian bridge?

Thanks for any info you can supply!
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 01:04 PM

I'm sure the website or calling each hotel will help you answer most of those questions if no one answers quickly.

If you go to googlemaps you can see "what's nearby" and see all the restaurants, etc.

I'd also take a look at Hotwire and www.betterbidding.com to see the Hotwire lists and see if any are offered for your dates.

JFYI, Many hospitals now have valet parking for a very small charge or tip only, I have found in my frequent visits in different states.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 01:13 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Without a doubt, I'd pick the Emory Conference Center Hotel. Friends were married there and the place is GORGEOUS. It has such a peaceful vibe with Craftsman/Frank Lloyd Wright - like architechture/decor. I love the place. http://www.emoryconferencecenter.com/
You can also take advantage of the Cliff shuttles
http://transportation.emory.edu/tran...iff/index.html

The Emory Inn would be fine. One of my favorite restaurants is there - an absolutely delightful French restaurant - Le Giverney - http://www.emoryconferencecenter.com/dining/

The Holiday Inn Express is fine too. It's not on the Emory campus but is not far. Traffic isn't really that bad in the area, unless you are driving at rush hour. The area around Emory is primarily residential so it doesn't feel so much like "city". Everybody's Pizza is a classic and you may see if there are any special events/concerts at the Glenn Memorial Chapel. Tell us more about the kind of food you like and we can make recommendations. The town of Decatur is nearby and it's a great place to walk around for restaurants and shops. There's a new Marriott Courtyard there and it would be an alternative if you think you want a more walkable experience not that far from the hospital.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 01:29 PM

Here's the website for the brand new Marriott Courtyard in Decatur - http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...owntown-emory/ That location would be good for you, because you can get out and walk and enjoy the area without relying on car or shuttle. If you need to be back to the hospital in a hurry, it's only a couple of minutes more there than it would be at the HIX. I've not been there yet but friends who live within a block of the MC say it's a great hotel. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from within a block or two and lots of people and families out on the streets enjoying small town living in the middle of the sprawl that is Atlanta.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 01:33 PM

Ask any of the places you are thinking about if they have "medical" rates; they often do for those in exactly the same situation you are in and can be a bit lower [and may be fully refundable] priced. I know the hospitals in Houston near all the medical centers do this and every little bit helps. Good luck to the patient.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info so far. I've called the Emory Conference Center Hotel and they confirmed they have a shuttle to the hospital. However we have to be there at 5 am (surgery takes 8 hours). The shuttle starts at 7 am. Looks like I need to drive and park. I will check out the tip on valet parking. If it's not much more I will do that.

I plan on calling the other hotels too but most put you on hold forever so I will need to make more time for that. I'm really just starting my research.

I'm not particular about restaurants and don't need fine dining. A chain restaurant is fine. I read there is a good French restaurant at Emory Inn. Mixed reviews on that motel.

I will ask for a "medical rate". I read on the hospital website that they can provide a letter requesting such.

starrs: I appreciate the link to the Marriott.

Thanks so much for your good wishes for my relative. I'm hoping everything goes smoothly and the hospital stay is short.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 02:14 PM

onetwo, parking is easy at Emory. Use the valet if you want to, but the garages are nice and not a problem. Yes, the French restaurant is Le Giverney. It moved to that location and I forget it's there. It's very good but doesn't have an "attitude" if you know what I mean. It moved from Clairmont to the Inn and was a regular lunch place for years. Their creme brulee is (or was) the best ever. There are plenty of casual places to eat around there. Think college students - but students of all ages, even into the 50s.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional info.

I just found out that Emory has hospital room suites for an additional $275 per night. There is a room for the patient, bathroom and a separate room with a sleeper sofa for guests. I have to find out if my relative will be in intensive care because the suite is only for those requiring regular hospital rooms. http://www.emoryhealthcare.org/hospi...ins/index.html
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 04:48 PM

My mom stayed in one of those for a couple of weeks during and after my father's surgery (at a different hospital). They were very nice and very convenient - but they both were a bit stir-crazy after both being cooped up together for that amount of time. Every situation is different and that may not be a factor for you and your family member. Dad's situation was not life-threatening but it was out of town so Mom was always right there - and she said the food was very good.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info about hospital suites. I can certainly understand your mother going stir-crazy after weeks of that. I think anyone would.

If all goes well the hospital stay will only be one to three days. In that case, it might be worth the extra $$ to actually stay in the hospital suite. Plus I would be right in the adjoining room if needed.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 12:37 PM

I don't know if it is too late, but here is a little info if you still need it. My husband is a Physician at Emory, and my MIL was a patient there for 5 months, so I am VERY familiar with the logistics.

Valet parking at the hospital and clinics is free if it is for a procedure. You could valet free the day of the surgery, but not the remaining days. Take your ticket and have it validated when the patient checks in for surgery. The patient/visitor parking is across the street and is easily accessible by an outside covered walkway and indoor tunnel.

The Conference Center Hotel is gorgeous. We stayed there when my husband interviewed at Emory and it was great. As Starrs says, Decatur has great restaurants and is pretty close. Toco Hills is a shopping center that is also close. There is a Kroger and Publix there if you want groceries. There is also an Outback, Chilis, Longhorn Steakhouse, Dunkin Donuts, Einstein Bagles, Starbucks, Uncle Maddio's Pizza (great), etc. Stay away from Petite Auberge...it is a quaint looking French restaurant with horrible service. I got food poisoning there last time I went.
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

KatieL,

Thanks very much. The surgery is over with and results are good. Great docs at Emory. My relative came home the day after surgery and is in good shape. Just a note for others - the hospital room had a recliner in it where family could bunk out for the night with the patient if wanted. I used the valet parking for ease of use and just ate at the hospital cafeteria since I was in the waiting room for 15 hours.

Wish I had known that the first day of parking was free. The hospital didn't give me that info. Leave it to Fodorites to know that! But all's well that ends well.

Thanks to everyone who replied to me.