Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone Stayed At The Omni /CNN Center In Atlanta?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of staying there to visit Philips Arena (hockey game), the Georgia Aquarium and the High Art Museum. I understand the hotel connects directly to Philips Arena, so that would be great for going to the hockey game, and sounds as though the aquarium is just a short walk away? Thanks! (According to TripAdvisor forum, this is not an area that you'd take a late night stroll in, right? Not that I do that in ANY city, though!)
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 02:02 PM

I have not stayed there. It was damaged in the tornado a few years ago, but I would expect it to be repaired by now.

The hotel is closest to Philips Arena, the Dome, CNN Center, and the World Congress Center. There are a few restaurants in the complex and a large food court for area workers in the CNN atrium.

Centennial Olympic Park is across the street and the aquarium and World of Coca-Cola are on the far side of that park from the hotel. A few other hotels and restaurants are scattered along the perimeter.

The area is quite deserted at night once the office workers go home unless there is an event at the venues mentioned. Even then it seems to be mostly people leaving events to their cars or MARTA, not people strolling or sitting in the park--at least not many people that you would like to hang out with probably.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 03:15 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I've stayed there a lot for conferences. The hotel is fine. It is a good option for events at Phillips Arena. It's a really big hotel with a huge atrium that used to house an amusement park (The World of Sid and Marty Krofft). Now there's a food court and some shops in there. The location is good for what you are looking for, and there's nothing wrong with the hotel.

My preference would be the Embassy Suites or the Hilton Garden Inn at Centennial Park -
http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_...09CDBB7C.etc12
http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en...I&promo=luckie

Either would be closer to the Aquarium, overlooks Centennial Park and are closer to one of my favorite restaurants -
http://www.peasantatl.com/

The owner of the Pleasant Peasant and Mick's on Peachtree moved her restaurant and opened the Peasant Bistro. I just love this restaurant. Check out the menu.

Legal Seafood is nearby (don't have to go to Boston) and other restaurant options. Walking back from an event at Phillips would be fine after dark. I wouldn't do a whole lot of night walking otherwise in the area.

To get to the High you'd probably want to drive to Midtown. I'd opt for that over MARTA. If you want restaurant suggestions in Midtown, give a shout.

If you want Southern cooking and haven't eaten at Mary Mac's Tea Room you may want to give it a try. It's an Atlanta institution - one of the few things still there from my parent's days. The others would be the Krispy Kreme on Ponce de Leon, The Varsity on North and the Fox Theatre on Peachtree.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies, guys. Very helpful ... We'll only be there one or two nights so won't have time to do a lot. starrs, how far is the walk from Philips to Hilton Garden Inn ... like a quarter or half mile, something like that, well-lighted? I checked the Embassy Suites, and it's about $40/night more than the Omni, so I won't do that. Thanks again!
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 11:32 PM

Elsie--The Hilton Garden Inn is like a block away, maybe two. After the hockey game, lots of people will be around so you'll be fine. It's pretty new....
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 11:47 PM

Me again...just looked at the map and it's a bit farther than 2 blks--but not that far--from Philip's Arena. It's right by Centennial Park and the aquarium so I'd say it's a good location for the things you want to see.

If you wanted to take MARTA up to the High Museum, you'd go one stop on E/W Line to connect to a northbound train and get off at Arts Station. You'll come out behind the High.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 02:30 AM

Well, heck elsiemoo. I missed your question to me. Thanks OWJ! Yep, it's pretty much around the corner and would be fine to walk after a game when everyone is pouring out of Philips. The Omni is fine, but I like the cluster of restaurants around the Embassy and HGI. I REALLY like the Peasant Bistro and highly recommend that if you want a nice dinner. Google maps will show you the area. I'll be down that way this afternoon/evening so will take another look too.

If you want a great place for breakfast - or great cupcakes - try out the West Egg Cafe -
http://westeggcafe.com/
It's about 2.5 miles away so would be a place to drive to.

Also, if you've not been to Atlantic Station yet you may want to check it out. A planned urban community with shops, restaurants and condos with parking decks underneath is a good place to walk around, see a movie, grab a bite to eat, go grocery shopping at Publix, go almosteverythingshopping at IKEA or Target or people watch on the green. My favorite restaurant there is Strip (steak and sushi)
http://www.atlanticstation.com/
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Girls, you're the best!!! We've made the decision, I think, to stay at the Omni ... that way, we won't need to walk outside late anywhere after the game. I'm going to save all your info though, print it out for the future because I'm sure this won't be the only time we come. If we love the aquarium, then we'll want to bring our DGD sometime. We won't have a lot of time on this visit but can use some of your suggestions later. Thank you so much!
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 07:50 AM

just to help a little more,the entrance to the Omni hotel parking is on Spring Street,just a little South of Intl Boulevard.If that parking is expensive, I always park in the CNN decks across from Phillips on Techwood drive.Tickets takers are on the same side,opposite the taicket takers at Phillips. You can also enter Phillips thru the atrium behind the Omni=gates open 1 hour before the game.Food in Phillips is passable, my favs are the brats.Ill try and include a pic of the layout.The restuarnt in the Omni on the second floor is pretty good--bar is very good.In the Phillips Arena,taco Mac is the best sit down, and if you like wings,very good
---sorry,cant figure out how to include the image
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 09:32 AM

Okay, elsiemoo. I scouted it out for you.

The Omni will be a good choice for you. I've stayed there for conferences and I do like the rooms. I'd suggest the valet parking, even if you don't valet park elsewhere. It's just really convenient. Keep in mind there are two sections of the hotel - the North and South Tower. That can get a bit confusing when you are self-parking.

The atrium of the CNN Center has a lot of food court options. Here's the list (another link for restaurants) -
http://www.cnncenterretail.com/templ...bc&name=goocou
I had baked ziti from Roman Delight last night and it was pretty good.

The entrance to Philips is just past the food court - all inside. The Zone 5 Police precinct is in the food court area too - actually across from Roman Delight and next to the entrance to the arena. There was a big police prescence in the atrium and really all around the area. Atlanta wants the area to be safe - and IMO it is. My brother was a Zone 5 officer years ago, and I talked to a retired Zone 5 officer who was doing backstage security at the arena last night. He was in uniform and we started chatting about his "Pistol Expert" badge and Blackberry Storms. We were waiting in the tunnels for a meet and greet and just shooting the bull.

Having said that, we (two women) left Philips after 95% of the visitors had left and felt perfectly safe walking to our cars in the parking deck across the street. If you opted for the Embassy Suites or HGI I think you'd feel fine walking back after an event at Philips.

Since you are righ there, you may be interested in taking a CNN Studio Tour -
http://www.cnn.com/tour/atlanta/atl.tour.home.html

Enjoy your visit!
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful info, starrs, bigbomoho, OWJ and Kay2! Gracias! starrs, thank you for scouting it all out for me. I will actually feel like I know what I'm doing now. I think we'll just do valet parking at Omni ... it will only be for a night or two, and so convenient. I believe this trip to the aquarium, the High Museum and the NHL game will be a nice Christmas present to OURSELVES!!!