Aspen Hotel Suggestions

Search

Aspen Hotel Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aspen Hotel Suggestions

Planning to visit Aspen for the first time next summer, attending the Aspen Music Festival. I also hope to get in some hiking.

I've considered the higher-end, well-known places like The Little Nell, but I am wondering if there is a special moderately-priced place or two that you can recommend. I don't need all of the fancy amenities if I'm out most of the day, but I would like a place that is central, convenient to music venues and hiking, and which has a good, solid reputation for great value and service.

Thanks!
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 03:24 PM

I'll bet something like Mountain Chalet Aspen (http://www.mountainchaletaspen.com/) is what you're looking for. We stayed there a few years ago in August and thought it was terrific, and a great value. Location couldn't be better, service friendly and amenities like breakfast unexpectedly good! Aspen is so wonderful in the summer and hiking at Maroon Bells the best, especially at that time of year with the profusion of wildflowers. You'll love it.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 05:03 PM

The Mountain Chalet is a basic hotel with atmosphere and I really like it there as well. I was there for a week, two consecutive summers, and would happily stay there again. We normally stay at higher end properties but I was traveling alone and found this place to be special and charming. The location is terrific for what you want to do and breakfast is included in the price.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendation! Anyone else with a suggestion?
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 04:39 AM

schrink, some of the people traveling to Aspen for the same reason as I stayed at the St. Moritz which, too, is more of a budget type of hotel. They enjoyed it enough to stay there year after year. It's a little further off the beaten path.

http://www.stmoritzlodge.com/

For what it's worth, I checked TripAdvisor and found Mountain Chalet is ranked no. 4.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 04:55 AM

Hi,

We just returned from Aspen/Snowmass and Little Nell was under construction and have issues with unions. I think by next summer they should be finished.

We are condo people after years of paying for parking, valet, housekeeping tips, plus paying for resort amenities we never used. And I get the washer/dryer.

We did drive to Maroon Bells and they do limit car traffic. We drove there in the late afternoon and the sun was not right for photos.

I did end up in the ER with extreme mountain sickness so consider that.

Karin