Asheville to Atlanta 5 nights in between...need advice for the coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2017, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We took advice from helpful posts on this site for our forthcoming trip in August 2017 and now need a bit more advice for remainder of trip.

After arriving in Atlanta from Scotland we sleep then pick car up next morning, drive to Chattanooga and stay there for 2 nights. Drive to Nashville for a further 2 nights and see the eclipse. The eclipse is what we had to work our schedule around since that was what inspired us to do the trip. Drive to Asheville in the mountains for 3 nights for some cooler air and exploration of the smokies. We would like to go to a coastal area for the remaining 5 nights. I can see its around 4-5 hours drive to charleston/savannah which I don't mind doing leaving early in the morning from asheville. Does anyone have any suggestions for the coast?

Also, i was thinking of staying in Madison or somewhere worth a quick visit for the last night to be closer to Atlanta for the airport and to drop car back for noon.

All advice much appreciated.
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 12:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you want unspoiled seashore or towns or some of both?
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Don't want to be in the middle of nowhere but somewhere where you could stay near the water and also have walkable access to town. Not ultra busy but has a good atmosphere and not too expensive....sounds kinda like a utopian paradise! As close to that as possible.
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 03:07 AM

I think going to Charleston after Asheville is very good. You may not need all of 3 days for Asheville but it is certainly possible. Five days for Charleston and Savannah is not very long at all and I would really not miss doing those wonderful cities. I would stay in Charleston for 3 days.
If a beach is a desire, you could stay in Wild Dunes or one of the beaches near Charleston.
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gretchen, looking into the Charleston area.
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 10:21 AM

Re the Madison idea: Good idea. Madison is not that far from Atlanta and is certainly worth a visit I'd allow two hours to drive (although Rome2Rio says and hour 10 minutes.

However, if your flight leaves at noon, you'd have to be at the airport around 9 a.m., and Atlanta has pretty nasty traffic during rush hour. if the flight leaves later in the afternoon, then you'd be O.K.
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on the Madison thing. Cheers
Old May 23rd, 2017, 11:39 AM

I'm planning to head to Scotland next year! Grew up in South Carolina and living in Atlanta now. Definitely check out Charleston. It's a must see for the food, history, and architecture. And it makes sense logistically after leaving Asheville. Have fun!

I would like to add a plug for staying in Atlanta the last night. The east beltline trail, Inman Park area is bustling with restaurants and art. Don't overlook it. ��