Charleston vs. Charlotte

Jul 21st, 2011, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Charleston vs. Charlotte

My husband and I are planning a quick 4 days/3nights trip in Sept. and are trying to decide between Charleston, SC and Charlotte, NC. We are renting a car and are open to doing one night at another location (for example- 2 nights Charlotte and 1 night Asheville). I don't want to try to do both Charleston and Charlotte and spend all that time driving back and forth. Any opinions are much appreciated, thanks!
Jul 21st, 2011, 11:44 AM

No contest - Charleston. Charlotte is a good place to live, but offers much less than Charleston as a vacation destination.

Or Asheville and area can be worth 3 nights too.
Jul 21st, 2011, 11:52 AM

Charlotte and Charleston will provide completely different experiences so the choice depends on what you are looking for.

Charlotte is a major metropolitan city with accompanying cultural events and professional sports. Asheville is wonderful as are the many surrounding towns plus the Blue Ridge parkway is beautiful.

Charleston is a smaller historic city and is a personal favorite to visit. There's much to see and many shops. There are many beaches nearby.

Speaking of shopping - ther are outlet malls near both cities. Charlotte will have more name brand stores and there are wonderful furniture buys in near by towns. Charleston has mostly local stores which can be very expensive but the items are unique.

One thing to consider for both is that it is very HOT in both cities right now. It will still be very hot in September so if you are planning outdoor actvities, keep that in mind.

Good luck
Jul 21st, 2011, 01:40 PM

Another Charlottean chiming in here and it is Charleston hands down. Are you flying into Charlotte? It is an easy 3 hour drive to Charleston. Just spend all the days there--honest. And better than Asheville also. I love the mountains, but..... You will have a great time.
Jul 21st, 2011, 03:51 PM

SInce y'all went first, I'll concur.

I do have to say, we have plenty of department store shopping, but that's not what people come to Charleston to do. AND the food here is world class. There are so many good restaurants here that bad ones just don't last.

It will likely be hot. It sure is now! So prepare for that. I like to recommend people take a carriage ride first thing. Have a good trip.
Jul 21st, 2011, 04:01 PM

No question, Charleston.
Jul 21st, 2011, 05:58 PM

Charleston. BTW. Southwest flies there now. If you haven't picked your dates yet, can I suggest that you time your visit midweek? Room rates are often half price during the week unless there is a big conference in town. You will save enough to enjoy really nice meals.
Jul 22nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
lmz

Definitely Charleston
Jul 23rd, 2011, 05:16 PM

Another CLT res. go to Charleston, I do...