Asheville in May, Suggestions?

Apr 2nd, 2006, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Asheville in May, Suggestions?

We will be staying at the Bent Creek Lodge for 3 days. One day we are going to do Biltmore but what else should we do? We are early 30s couple, like to do active things during the day and drink at night at small local "dive" bars. Also looking for restaurant recommendations at nice but not TOO expensive places...(spending 40 per person would be a splurge.)
Apr 2nd, 2006, 05:08 PM

I just returned from the area and here are a couple of restaurant suggestions I got from the local experts, Leah and Litespeed. In Weaverville, go to the Stoney Knob Cafe (lunch or dinner), and the Well Bred bakery. In Asheville, Salsa, Limones, and Flying Frog (it will be a splurge) are great. I also like Grovewood restaurant. It is next door to but unaffiliated with the Grove Park. There are several threads here about hiking in the area. Take your mountain bikes, too! Have a great time.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 05:20 PM

Welcome home, cmcfong! I added to my original post, kind of an Asheville mini-report. I'll try to top it for you. How was your trip? Buff-waving didn't work, darn it!

crzyjodi, another good restaurant, a little outside of Asheville, is Sorrento's on Tunnel road. From the outside, it looks like nothing, but it's beautiful and romantic inside, and the food is reasonable and delicious (Italian). Also, in downtown Asheville, loved the Early Girl on Wall St. Very inventive and fresh dishes. Have fun! The hiking is amazing!
Apr 2nd, 2006, 05:46 PM

OOPS, sorry Molly, I saw the other post first. My trip was wonderful and I am delighted you had fun. The group to whom I was making a presentation booked for the Grove Park again next year....can't wait!
Apr 2nd, 2006, 06:28 PM

In downtown Asheville there's a great place that's right up your alley budget wise: Salsa. It's carribeam/ mexican and I think the place dubs itself as "ecclexican". The portions are huge and splitable and its very laid back.
Apr 3rd, 2006, 06:31 PM

You are very close to the North Carolina Arboretum and Blue Ridge Parkway. About 45 minutes south of Asheville is the Pisgah National Forest.

Just outside the Biltmore Estate is Biltmore Village. It has interesting shops and food. The resturants that have been suggested are good - do the restaurants meet your needs?

Mike Honeycutt
Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:25 PM

Downtown Asheville is crawling with dive bars -- just wander the streets and you'll find things to do. It's been ages since I've been downtown at night, but there should be live music just about every night of the week.

We had dinner at Grovewood last year with the in-laws and we enjoyed exploring the Grove Park Inn with them before dinner. The Inn's lobby bar would also be a great place to people-watch and grab a drink.

If you like water sports, you have several options in the area from canoeing and kayaking to whitewater rafting in rapids of various difficulties, to fishing.
Apr 4th, 2006, 03:22 AM

One more vote for the Arboretum. As you enter route 191 from your lodge turn left and after a half mile turn left again on the first light. The entrance to the Arboretum is going to be your right. Flowers and trees are blooming right now, birds were singing yesterday, views are spectacular, new Bonsai Garden is wonderful, miles of trails are available at any time. Check the photo and quilt exhibitions upstairs. In May everything is going be green and more blooming flowers. After your visit to Arboretum, as you exit, turn right and Blue Ridge Parkway is right there. To get to Asheville turn left. For more breathtaking views, IMHO, and endless hiking trails turn right on the parkway and continue as far as you wish. You may drive all the way to Great Smoky Mountains if you have enough time. You can stop at many overlooks, take pictures, access trails from some of them. Continue to route 276 turn towards Brevard to visit the Cradle of the Forestry, Looking Glass Falls and even more trails. As you approach the first traffic light and busy intersection you are in the town of Pisgah Forest. On your left is a shopping place and there is a new great Japanese restaurant, Sora. We had two excellent lunches there. Turn left on route 280 towards Asheville but after about 12 miles turn left on route 191 which will take you to your lodge.
Apr 4th, 2006, 04:34 AM

when are you coming? The Mountain Sports Festival is May 5-7. There will be many events to participate in (running,cycling,paddling, adventure, etc.) and also spectating opportunities. The main festival location in downtown will have music and local/regional beers.

You can ride a mountain bike right out of your lodge onto the trails in Bent Creek.

My fave bars are Jack of the Woods in downtown and Westville Pub on the funky Westside. Both are non-smoking.
May 16th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies...I posted long ago and did not check back, but now that the time is approached, I am topping the thread. We are also going to Charleston for 3 days, we have dinner reservations at SNOB (Slightly North of Broad), any other suggestions?
May 16th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Charleston is rife with good dining options - check out chowhound.com
May 16th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Leah is right, there are some great restaurants in Charleston. I was there two weeks ago and had a great meal at Magnolia's. I also like Hominy Grill and 39 Rue de Jean. Check out GoTravel's trip report posted here about a year ago. It really is an excellent resource.
May 16th, 2006, 12:18 PM

In Asheville, highly recommend Jack of the Wood pub. Great beer, great pub atmosphere.
May 16th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

ttt
May 17th, 2006, 05:19 AM

Biltmore Estate is in a full bloom. Just beautiful! If you want to spend one more day in the estate go back to the ticket building in the end of the day to extent your visit. It costs only $10.00 for the second day
May 17th, 2006, 07:32 AM

Pat, that is a great tip. It may deserve its own thread!
May 17th, 2006, 08:09 AM

We did the following pub crawl in downtown Asheville with our wedding party and everyone had a blast:

Sat outside on the patio at the Mellow Mushroom and started with pizza & beers

Stopped by Tressa's Jazz & Blues and caught the Firecracker Jazz band and they were great.

Headed over to Hannah Flannigan's Irish Pub and listened to the live band in the courtyard

We ended the night at the Jack of the Wood Pub.

Have fun. If you also have some extra time definitely head out to Chimney Rock Park to check out the amazing views and some great hikes (www.chimneyrockpark.com). Definitely worth the drive.

Another great day trip is to head out to the Pisgah National Forest to check out the waterfalls and sliding rock.