Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Arthur Ave. after a Yankees game, need info.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 04:55 AM
nina

Hi! We're going to the Yankees game this Saturday afternoon and would love to stop at Arthur Avenue on our way home (Fairfield County). Can anyone first give me the best directions from Yankee Stadium to Arthur Avenue?

Also, we'd love some recommendations for great markets and a good casual family restaurant where we can go for an early dinner. we'll have our 2 pre teen sons with us. Thanks for the help!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Merilee

Hi Nina...it sounds as if you will be driving your own car so you can take the Deegan North to the Fordham Road exit...at the exit make a right and proceed straight for approximately 3 or 4 miles...use the White Castle as your landmark...you will make the next right onto Arthur Avenue...Fordham Road is heavily traveled so there will be stop and go traffic along this route...there's about 10 or so traffic lights...Dominick's and Mario's are 2 of the oldest restaurants still in operation and they serve very good food.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 05:50 AM
nina

Thanks Merilee, I'm copying your directions. We will have our car, is parking a problem or do we just look for a spot along the street? Any great food markets you can suggest? We love to cook so would like to pick up some hard to find specialties. Thanks again for your quick reply and directions.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Merilee

Hi Nina...some of the stores I'm familiar with are Calabria's Pork Store where you can buy Calabrese cheese or Scamorza cheese which are very tasty..they also have a great selection of sausages...Peter's Meat Market sells homemade, ready to cook veal rollatini, stuffed pork chops, and beef or pork braciole...Teitel's is a wonderful cramped store that sells many Italian food items, some of which are hard to fin...Gino's Pastry is good and Addeo's bakes a very good pistachio biscotti...Arthur Avenue Baking Company bakes very good bread...as for parking, you will probably have to drive around since it is busy there, but you will find a spot...bring quarters for meters...and have fun! Bon appetit!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Merilee

I meant to say mangia!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 06:22 AM
nina

Ringrazialo cosi molto per il suo consiglio, Thanks to your great suggestions we'll be having an awesome Sunday dinner!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Mike

There is a public lot next to Dominick's. It has one of those automatic machines you punch your spot # into and insert bills or coins.