Princeton NJ meeting location

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am meeting a friend in Princeton, NJ for a reunion and would like some spots where there is also easy parking. We will both be driving in.

Thanks.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 06:13 AM

are you talking about a restaurant?
also, do you mean downtown princeton or the out skirts?

Melissa
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

A restaurant to meet is fine and would like it to be downtown Princeton. We will walk around the campus Of the university; is that considered downtown?

Thank you.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Parking in downtown Princeton can be tricky—especially on the weekends or in the evening during the week. If you see a street space anywhere near your destination, grab it! (And bring lots of quarters, as most downtown spaces are metered). If not, your best bet may be a parking garage. The Princeton Public Library has a good one—from Nassau Street (downtown’s “Main Street,” running past the front of the University), turn onto Witherspoon Street; drive two blocks (you’ll pass the library, which will be on your right) and take a right on Wiggins Street. After that, take a right into the Library’s driveway (be careful—it’s easy to miss), and you’ll drive right into the garage. It accepts credit cards, cash, and debit cards. There’s also a garage on Hulfish Street. To get to this one, turn onto Witherspoon from Nassau, drive a block, and make a left onto Hulfish, The garage will be on your right (this garage often fills up at night). A third garage is on Chambers Street. Get to this one by turning onto Chambers Street from Nassau Street—the garage will be on your right.

On campus, there’s lots of metered street parking on Prospect Street (off Washington Street). From there, it’s just a 5-minute walk to the downtown restaurants.

Dining in Princeton is fantastic—there’s a huge selection of cuisines.

If you’re looking for a nice (though slightly expensive) place to eat, head to my favorite Princeton restaurant, Mediterra (http://www.terramomo.com/restaurant/...ra/index.html; 29 Hulfish Street, in Palmer Square right near the Hulfish Street parking garage). For an appetizer, be sure to share a Mediterranean Mezze (a delicious hummus assortment accompanied by homemade bread).

Nassau Street Seafood has the best seafood bargain in town (256 Nassau Street, lunch only). It’s actually a fish market, but they’ll grill you up a fresh tuna steak sandwich to go for $7. The fried clam strips are also excellent, and also $7 (both come with fries).

If you’re in the mood for Indian food, Masala Grill (15 Chambers Street) has a great lunch buffet.

Save room for dessert, though, since Princeton is an ice-cream-lover’s paradise. There are a lot of options, but I keep coming back to Thomas Sweet (179 Nassau Street). They have the best flavors (cake batter; cookie monster (think cookies and cream with Nutter Butters thrown in); chocolate chip cookie (not cookie dough—this ice cream literally tastes like a chocolate chip cookie, even though they don't actually putting cookie chunks in); tiramisu…and they’re always coming up with new stuff). Plus, it’s super cheap. I think a small cone (a complete misnomer—this will totally fill you up) will set you back $2.50.

Enjoy! Princeton is a great place to spend an afternoon. If you have time, be sure to take a free campus tour (I know this sounds cheesy, but it's a really excellent overview of the university; tours leave from the student center) or duck into the free art museum (not your typical campus gallery--you'll spot a few Monets and a Van Gough, as well as some really interesting temporary exhibitions).
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the very complete reply to my question on Princeton. If I still taught on the college level (I am retired), I would take it to the class to show them an example of an excellent, complete, well-thought out answer.

And is it possible I received an answer from a Fodor editor who attended Princeton?

Thanks so much.....the answer makes me want to visit P. tomorrow.

Amie
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:41 AM

You're welcome (and thank you for the compliment). I'm actually not a former Princeton student, but my wife is a grad student there and we live in the area.

I hope you have a wonderful visit!