ARIZONA w/ RETIRED PARENTS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom had heart surgery this fall and I promised my sis and I would take she and dad on a little trip if she made it through that miserable trip. She did and we're off. Being from Ohio, we mainly go down to Florida to escape the winter in Feb. but would like to try Arizona--have never been except for short business juants. My questions:
Is it warm enough to swim and enjoy the sun in mid-Feb?
In a six day trip what itinerary would you suggest (they are mid 60's, fairly active but post surgery, not able to hike down the Grand Canyon, we'll be doing a bus trip, obviously)
Am looking mainly for city suggestions...would like to stay in Scottsdale (if that makes sense) most of hte time and then go to the Grand Canyon for a day or two and leave...Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Thanks much! Have a great day! HAPPY 2005!!!
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:15 AM

Tuscon will be a better bet for warmer weather since you are flexible on city. Phoenix can vary and Grand Canyon will be cold.
If you could time your trip towards the end of February/ beginning of March, you could also catch some of the baseball spring training events which are fun and enjoyable post surgery.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:26 AM

I'd also like to add a suggestion - have Mom check with her cardiologist about the appropriateness of her being in high AZ altitude. Even casual walking around the GC requires more exertion than you might think.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestion re: high altitude. We are going on Wed. for a check up and were going to check. Did not consider high altitude. Won't make a reservation until we check that out. Thanks a million wsoxrebel!
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 12:25 PM

seriously doubt that tucson is warmer...Phx/scotts is ALWAYS hotter during the warm months and generally the same if not warmer than tucson in the winter.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Tx all. Have changed plans to Naples FL as
I know very well. Have decided to take my 4kids / hubby to AZ for Spring Break and will post applicable ?s re: that trip.