Sedona end of January - elev. and weather???

Nov 26th, 2002, 10:31 AM
sally

Sedona end of January - elev. and weather???

is it worth it to go to sedona end of january for a 4 night stay with side trips to grand canyon? Will we be disappointed by weather conditions?

Also, with the elevation being at 4500, has anyone who is prone to it experienced altitude sickness? My husband usually can't handle high altitudes, but also it depends on the place. (we had no problems at sequoia np, but it was bad in the big bear area in so cal.).

Please I would like to hear from those who have stayed at sedona and visited gc in January. If it is cold but sunny i think we can handle it. has anyone experienced disappointment because of the views being all fogged up, or black clouds? I have the same concern for the grand canyon.

Any input appreciated. If it's not going to be good, we'll have to change our anniversary trip location.

Nov 26th, 2002, 10:39 AM
marj

Sedona is the only place I ever had alt. sickness. My husband insists it was from the pink jeep tour but I think it was just the altitude. Once we left Sedona I was fine. Afterwards, I was told by a Dr., that I should have drank LOTS of fluids. That supposedly helps quite a bit. I've spent an afternoon in Sedona without a problem, but this time we spent the night. I could barely move the next morning.

The weather in Sedona could be much different than Grand Canyon. We were there last March. It was cold with 4 inches of snow at the GC. It was in the 80s in Sedona. Several years ago in January we had similar weather.

Nov 26th, 2002, 10:49 AM
travellyn

I can only comment on the Grand Canyon. It's likely to be quite cold, but either sunny or snowing. The Grand Canyon outlined by snow is especially beautiful, so you can't lose either way. In January, you'll also have significantly fewer fellow tourists to contend with.

I wouldn't plan on multiple side trips to the GC. Better to make one long day trip or plan a night or two at the South Rim.

I once visited the GC in early March after a snowstorm, and it was unforgettable; the rock layers were each outlined with layers of snow. However, I did spin out on black ice north of Flagstaff on the way to the canyon. Don't make the trip to the GC if roads are icy.

Nov 26th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Larry

Dehydration occurs quickly in low humidity environments unless you're acclimated, and this is a real issue in northern Arizona. I doubt Marj had true altitude sickness (speaking as a non-primary care physician) but likely dehydration, which can cause headaches, nausea, lassitude, irritability and generally ruin your day.
Mild altitude sickness (sometimes called acute mountain sickness or AMS) occurs in 20% of people who ascend to at least 7500 ft. Chnaces of getting AMS in Sedona are not zero, but they're pretty low.
For people prone to AMS at lower elevations, avoid alcohol, get plenty of fluids, avoid high fat meals, don't over exert the first couple days and usually sensitive people are fine.

Sedona's elevation is 4900 ft.
Daily high in late January averages 56, nightly low 32
5.4 inches of snow in January

Numbers for Grand Canyon Nat'l Park:
elevation: 6900 ft
late Jan high 43, nightly low 19, avg January snowfall is 16 inches

Nov 27th, 2002, 02:18 PM
xxx

The GC is gorgeous with snow and even clouds. Sedona will be cold, can you go to Phx for a day or two also? Phx. area will be nice in Jan.

Nov 27th, 2002, 02:23 PM
kkj

Sally, I agree with all the other posts. I suggest that you consider staying in Phoenix for your four days. Take a day trip to Sedona and the Grand Canyon. There are several different tour operators who offer these trips and that way you could leave the snow driving to someone else.

Nov 29th, 2002, 11:34 PM
ttt

ttt