Good Warm Weather Vacation with Young Kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have always done warm-weather vacations as a couple, to places like Cancun and Key West. We live in the upper midwest and always need one break from winter before the glorious summer arrives.

Now that we have kids (2 1/2 yrs & 3 mos) we are looking for warm weather plus some family friendly amenities. A Club Med might fit the bill, but we want some other options to choose from as well. It should also be near a major airport since we want to minimize the number of flights with the youngsters.

OK, well travelled people...... let's hear your ideas. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:20 PM
GoTravel

I would go with an all inclusive in Cancun. Have you looked at The Palace Resorts? The Moon Palace is outside Cancun, family oriented and their AI plan includes tours to Isla Mujeres, Tulumn, and Chichinitza. Largest pool in Latin America.

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:25 PM

Well, I'll preface this by saying I feel your pain. My kids are the same age spread.

We did take our then 7 mo old daughter to an all inclusive in Cozumel. I shipped a carton of baby food ahead. Since I nursed I didn't need to worry about bottled water.

My daughter did okay. Honestly, I'm not sure it was worth the effort.

My cousins' 8 week old didn't fare quite so well. The heat really got to her and she screamed non-stop. Closest thing to a doctor was the on staff "nurse".

The locals LOVE children, so that was not an issue.

Flights: the prop job to the island was NOT fun. No A/C, with a kid in my lap.

While there are certainly more adventurous people than I, if I were to do this over again I would have waited a year before trying this. You can find all inclusives in the Keys that will be suitable. Were you going to pack your kids to Tulum?

AS far as the house "sitters": I don't feel comfortable with that. My cousins' did, and while the baby was fine, there were some things stolen (watch, Nikes).

Last, would it be better to wait a year and travel domestically? Then your infant will have been fully immunized.

Just call me "Wet Blanket".
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:46 AM

Thanks for both replies. This trip will be "expirimental" and we probably want to keep it domestic. They Key West idea sounds good, although I've never seen the family-friendly places. Maybe I'll make some call.

Plan B is always to just go to a huge indoor waterpark a few hours away. You know - one of those places that you used to drive by and ridicule when you had no kids, wondering why someone would ever vacation there. But now that young kids are in the picture, a waterpark can have the same fun value (for them) as a weekend in Manhattan.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:18 AM

Hazel, are you and Joe a couple?

Consider Tampa/St. pete. The beaches in SP are great, and Tampa has Adventure Island, surely the best water park I've tried. And Busch Gardens which is a blast.

March/April are prime tourist times in FL so book now if you want to go.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:44 AM

Your kids are really too young for a water park. Stick with the beach ideas. You'll be much happier.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:07 AM

Try the Cheeca Lodge in Isla Morada. It's halfway to Key West and very kid friendly. Also, when my girls were very young we went to Sanibel. Very laid back and nice beaches.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:18 AM

Tampa/St Pete is a good area. Besides Busch Gardens, there is Lowry Park Zoo which was rated the #1 Kids Zoo in the US. Plus, great beaches are near by and March/April is Spring Training for Baseball. Also there is the Florida Aquarium which is very nice.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:03 AM

Your children seem too young to go to a water park. How about a rental home in Florida? We rented a rental home - a full home, with kitchen, living room, multiple bedrooms and baths, and a private swimming pool near Orlando a couple years ago, and I think there are similar rental houses all over Florida. That way, you could get away to warmer weather, have a private pool for the kids to play in, and be not too far from sight-seeing or the beach.

Check out www.resortquest.com.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:18 AM
Jayne1973

When my kids were little, all that mattered to them on trips was whether there was a pool. We had a nice time at Busch Gardens in Florida in December one year, although it was a little cool to actually swim at the beaches in Clearwater. Your idea for an indoor water park is on the right track. You might just need a nice indoor pool at a pleasant hotel.

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:36 PM

The Wisconsin Dells are really not a bad idea for your situation. Full of families and economical enough to let you take another vacation later in the year. Plus if the kids get sick (and with 2 kids, your chances of them both staying healthy for one week straight is pretty slim, eh?), you can get home quickly.