Search

Are We Crazy??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are We Crazy??

We are visiting our son in Traverse City, MI over the Christmas holidays. I am beginning to wonder if we will be able to fly in or out! We presently live in California and as you imagine will be at the total opposite of the spectrum. Can anyone give us an idea of what to expect?
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:33 AM

I assume you're talking about snow.

Snow mostly comes during snowstorm. Storms don't last forever. And even after the heaviest ones, airport workers should be able to clean up runways in hours.

Will you be hit by a snowstorm when your planes arrives or departs? Well, if I know right now, I would be god.

So, your planes may be delayed if it snows, or you may get a beautiful sunny day with nothing on the ground.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 05:04 AM

What airport are you flying in and out of? It will be snowy! They are used to it and can handle it. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time if you have to catch other segments of your flights.

Have some cherry wine while you are there!

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 05:38 AM
bonniebroad

TeeWidow, best not to come on this Board and ask that question! I live in the sunny South, and cannot help with your question about Michigan except to say .... heck, allow plenty of time and go for it!!!

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 05:42 AM

Are you flying into Pelston Airport? That is a small airport and the weather definitely will play a huge part in your departure.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 05:50 AM

Most people who visit Traverse City probably fly into Traverse City airport - it is considerably larger than Pellston (which is about 2 hours from TC), though still small by airport standards.

They are used to snow, and you will probably have snow during that time. Most likely, though, you will not be snowed out. Maybe delayed. Being snowed out can happen - we were forced not to drive up north one Christmas because they received 96" of snow in about a day's time. But that's really rare.

If you're concerned with losing your ticket costs, buy trip insurance. If you're just concerned about being in the weather since you're not used to it, buy warm clothes and spend a lot of time indoors.

Lots of people travel to Northern Michigan at Christmas time and throughout the winter - if you're crazy, you're in good company.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 07:11 AM

jlm-mi

Thanks for correcting my airport locations. We go to Mackinac Island every summer and the Pilston Airport is where I pick up friends. Forgot about the obvious, TC's own airport.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 07:37 AM

North central states are very equipped to handle winter and all of its snow, ice, and cold. We have delt with it for generations. You will at worst have a delay if there happens to be a snow storm, then you will be on your way. If there happens to be a snow storm let it be a part of your adventure which you will be talking about for months instead of something to worry about.

Up here in northern Minnesota I know a few Locals who have lived here all their lives who complain every winter. I can't understand why they just don't accept it as part of life or just move to Phoenix.

Come on up here to the north where the fun and snow is and don't worry about it!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 08:03 AM

If a major snowstorm hit the Midwest, the concern won't be at the Traverse City or otherwise. The problem will be at the major airport in the area that you need to connect - whether it's Chicago O'Hare, Minneapolis or Detroit.

Afterall, a few years ago, Northwest didn't strand passengers on the planes for 8-10 hours at Traverse City. They did it at MSP and DTW.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 08:17 AM
JJ5

All of us in the North live with this and do just fine. What jorr said- exactly.

Traverse City has got to be drop dead beautiful in winter. Lucky you!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:55 AM
Pis_Pistofferson

What's the weather like where you live, TeeWidow?

Pis

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 01:13 PM

Dear TeeWidow,

Spent many Christmas holidays in TC, as my mom and dad retired in the area. The airport is modern and well equiped for snow. Agree with others that more likely problems would come from snow delays in your connecting city - Detroit or Chicago for example.

Traverse City is spectacular for Christmas. Great decorations, great shopping, winter sports. Community events, like caroling and tree lighting ceremonies. Any particular questions on what to expect that your interested in?

SusanEvan
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 01:24 PM

Believe it or not, life does not come to a screeching halt in places that get snow.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 02:03 PM

Southern Califonia traffic comes to a screeching halt just with any rain!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:18 PM

I live in Southern CA and travel to both MN and MI a lot and weather doesn't affect them at all compared to LA Area in the rain. It will be fine and as others have posted the airports are well equipped to handle snow and bad weather. I don't remember being stranded in either Detroit or Mpls. or other smaller airports in both states for a long time. The equipment keeps getting better and maybe the weather does too. Have fun!!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 07:15 AM

Because of possible delays at your connecting airport, try to book a flight that arrives in the afternoon. You don't want to be on the day's last flight to Traverse City.