Search

How's Bradley Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 11:13 AM
cdt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How's Bradley Airport?

We're thinking about using Bradley International Airport (Hartford) for the first time and we're wondering if it's a relatively pleasant place.

We live north of NYC and usually fly from Newark for Caribbean trips. We really hate the Newark airport and certainly don't feel that LaGuardia or JFK would be much of an improvement.

Bradley may cost us a bit more, but it's 30 minutes closer. Is it enough of an improvement from Newark to be worth a few extra dollars?
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Shelleyrock

I have been using Bradley for the past 25 years. It is convenient, clean and safe. It's much smaller then Newark,LaGuardia and JFK. It is worth the $$ to not have the craziness of a large airport.

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:39 PM

An issue to consider with smaller airports - primarily in winter with weather delays and cancellations - is availability of back-up plans and planes if something goes wrong. If there is a mechanical problem with a plane, there are more options either for an individual airline (get another plane) or you (get on another airline). But since these are not usual events, unless a delay would really mess you up (like attending a wedding or making a close connection for a cruise), it shouldn't make all that much difference.

And, in my opinion, anything is better than JFK - what a poor excuse for an airport!
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 08:24 AM

We usually fly from Bradley and with all the recent improvements, I'd even say it is a very good airport. Gail makes a good point about potential issues with a smaller airport. Hartford does tend to get more snow than NYC airports, but they are better at handling the snow. The other good news (sometimes) is that they rarely close for weather. There have been times that I would have preferred not to take off or land, but the airport remained open. It always amusing to hear that all the other larger airports are closed, but Bradely stays open.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 01:33 PM

I live in western Massachusetts and travel in and out of BDL about once a month. It's VERY convenient, and as previous poster says, it seldom closes for weather. I had to drive there last year at about 10 mph through the snow to pick up two friends and the snow on the ground from just that current day was about 18". Mechanical delays are another issue, but I have luckily only experienced one in my 4 years of living up here.

Even parking at the airport is relatively cheap compared to NYC area airports or Boston--$13/day in the airport garage. Flying Northwest, Continental, Delta, Song, or Southwest will put you in the new terminal at Bradley. All others are in the old wing, which feels very dated. Be aware that no vendors open before 6:00am, and that there aren't many food options to choose from. Also, no Admiral/WorldClub/CrownRoom etc places in this airport.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 08:19 AM

Another "thumbs up" for Bradley ... it is *SO* convenient getting to/from, and the area hotels will cost a lot less than other NYC airports too.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 07:19 AM

Recent arrival at Bradley Airport was a nightmare! This is my sixth trip into Bradley over the past 5 years and the first time that I found it to be the worst place to land with an elderly mother and several pieces of luggage. They do not have skycaps on the lower level with baggage arrival, and the tram (Not a wheelchair) lets the handicapped passenger off by the escalator! The elderly lady stationed at the information desk was not at all able to assist with any suggestion.