Are the steaks really better in the midwest?

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Harry

Are the steaks really better in the midwest?

So many people tell me that the best steaks are found in the midwest. Is this true? If so, where in the midwest.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Sheli

Not sure how this is travel related...unless you are planning a great steak trip through the US. (and then I would consult my doctor on how much red meat one should eat in a 7 day period)

In any case, Nebraksa is considered one of the best beef producing states since most (if not all) cattle are corn-fed. They are not range animals, therefore offering a more tender cut of meat. (Lets not even go into the ethics of feedlots people, that is an entirely different thread)

Along that train of thought, each year during hunting season we find that the best cuts of venison are from deer which graze near/in corn fields...thus corn-fed deer.

Not sure what others states have to offer, but I would assume the same would hold true for cattle-producers in other states that do not use range as a means to feed their cattle.

S

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Kevin

Is the salmon better in Seattle and Portland than in Kansas City?

Is the Key Lime pie better in the Keys than in Minneapolis?

Is the sushi better in cities with large Asian populations?

Yes, yes, and yes.
Some of it has to do with freshness, some has to do with local pride in the product.

As for the steak issue, I'd say yes there too. But you have to go to a restaurant that has the 'pride' factor in evidence.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Lou

The corn fed cattle always produce the best tasting beef. Iowa has some of the best cattle farms for corn feeding.

The other variable in a great tasting steak is the aging process. Ever notice that it's nearly impossible to replicate the flavor a a $30 restaurant steak at home? That's because they dry age the meat for 14-21 days prior to serving it.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Gary

Very much a travel issue. Steak is one of the most popular foods in America, and people generally eat out when traveling.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 12:21 PM
yes

Yes, they're generally better in the Midwest. Lou's right on the mark--it's all in the aging process. An FYI--generally the best steaks come from a Mom and Pop steakhouse that exist in many small towns. Chain restaurants just don't cut it with this Midwesterner...even Ruth's Chris. Guess we're spoiled.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Bloody

Steak is best in Argentina

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Sayonara

Steak is best in Japan - they massage those cows!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 12:32 PM
midwest girl

Come on out to the midwest and check it out. You can also try www.omahasteaks.com, but it is not the same as being here. I am originally from Ohio and now I live in Omaha. I never tasted steaks in Ohio as good as we have here in Nebraska.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Bill

Yes. Kansas!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Dick

The last time I was in Iowa and KAnsas(many years ago)...I was told by several locals that the best beef was exported to out of statee restauarants.

I have no idea if there is any truth to this...can anyone confirm?a

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Joseph

Highest bidder gets the best produce.
Plain and simple.
The highest grade meats are sold to whomever is willing to pay top dollar.
A moderate priced Nebraska steak house will not have better quality meat than a NYC place charging 50% more.

But a cheaper NYC steak house won't have better meat than a moderately expensive Nebraska steak house.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Art

The best steaks by far are at Sizzlers.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 01:22 PM
MmmMmmGood

Art: YES! And the best seafood at Red Lobster!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 01:54 PM
xxx

Corn fed beef is the best? I used to think so, but then read the NYTimes article on the cattle industry (no,it was not an animal rights piece). I tried some grassfed beef from a quality farm in Colorado and it did taste better. I don't eat beef that much, so when I do, I want to make sure it's from cattle that were humanely raised, fed a more natural grass diet, not pumped full of drugs (a pound of antibiotics and other drugs a day in the feed for those great "corn fed" cattle) and humanely slaughtered.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 02:33 PM
yes

Sorry Joseph,
I stand by my comment that it's in the aging. I've seen what an 'exclusive' east coast restaurant can do to a prime piece of beef and it's enough to make a Midwesterner weep.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Chicagoan

Everything is better in the Mid-West.