McCormick and Schmicks

Search

McCormick and Schmicks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
McCormick and Schmicks

I noticed that this place is close to our hotel, Hotel 71. I tend to go for a steak, my wife the seafood. I've never been to one of these restaurants, but have heard of it. What is the consensus opinion? Didn't look too expensive from the menu. If not this place, is there another good place close by that's not too expensive. I know you have to pay some for good food, but wont pay $50 for an entree.
Thanks
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 05:36 PM

Good fresh fish. All fish is flown in daily and the menu changes once or twice per day. Can't comment on the specific location, but have eaten at them in several cities and they were all good.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 06:19 PM

This chain started in Portland, Oregon, and we have several of them in Seattle. I find them to be extremely inconsistent. The last time I ate at one, I was served foul smelling and overcooked mussels. As noted, whether food is good depends on which location and also the time of day and who is in the kitchen.

I think you would be much better off at a real Chicago place, such as Catch 35, which is a short walk from your hotel. I've never eaten there, but it has to be a heck of a lot more fun that M&S: http://www.catch35.com/chicago-03-dinner.html

HTTY
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 07:10 PM

Go for breakfast if they serve it and have the Crabcake Eggs Benedict - omg!!
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 08:42 PM

Here in the midwest "fresh" seafood is a relative term...I find M & S one of the better options when I want seafood in Minneapolis. Is it as delicious at the little owner operated spots I love when I travel the Gulf region?? Heck no.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 05:50 AM

You could also try the Chicago Chop House at 60 W Ontario, just about six blocks north of M&S. Another local place that always gets high marks is Gibson's at 1028 N Rush, about a mile north of the river.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 06:41 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had good dining experiences at the M&S on Rush St. In any event, you'll have many more good dining choices if you cross the river and head north.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:29 AM
nlg

We have eaten at the M&S in Chicago and it was great. We have eaten at several other M&S when we traveled and they have all been very good. You can make reservations so you won't have to wait for a table. They also have great happy hour specials in the bar.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 12:07 PM

Living in the Portland area for the last umpteen years, it's been sad to watch what's happened with M&S. It was better five years ago than today, and better 15 years ago than five. The organization has struggled ever since the founders sold their majority interest several years ago, and more so since the downturn in the economy. I think you're better off searching out a local establishment, where you can actually see what you're paying for in the price of the entree. In the case of M&S, you'd be helping pay the lease for an over-paid exec.'s BMW 745. I know cause I've seen it.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 12:22 PM

The post was for Illinois. If you are in a place where you can get "truly fresh fish" then of course it would be better. I have eaten at one in Kansas City and Dallas and they were among the better fish places for either city.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 01:09 PM

We ate in the M&S in Portland ( down on the waterfront) and I thought I was going to die of food poisoning, at least.
The place was awful and this is already over 3 years ago. I can't believe they are still open !
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 01:34 PM

spirobulldog - Part of the joy of traveling for me is dining in establishments that source locally to create and serve dishes indigenous/unique to the area. Which was my recommendation to the OP. If you want to order fish & chips in a steak house, that's your call.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 02:01 PM

I've never eaten at that particular McCormicks but the one near my home is just dreadful.

Try Morton's Steakhouse, I think there's one not far from your hotel. Check out the $100 three course dinner (for two)...menu should be on their website.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 02:59 PM

passerbye, The original post specifically asked about M&S. So, sorry that I have eaten at a few M&S and enjoyed them. There have been two comments about Portland and the original post didn't mention Portland.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 03:16 PM

Nor did it mention Kansas City or Dallas. Since you took the lead though, I'll apologize too. But you really didn't need to. M&S restaurants are usually okay - good. I just think there are better choices, regardless of where the M&S is located.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 04:07 PM

The original post didn't mention Portland The OP didn't know that part of the chain's history--a sad tale about which we have learned more from passerbye.

Thanks, passerbye, for explaining why M&S has deteriorated--a decline sad to behold.

HTTY
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 05:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Skip Mortons. If you want steak in Chicago go to Gibsons.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 06:03 PM

A mixed review then for MS. I think it was good at the places that I have eaten at them at. Debit, happytrv,and nlg all seemed to have good experiences. Perhaps the original Portland restaurant doesn't measure up. It has been over a year since I have eaten at one. I will certainly give it a try on my next visit to Dallas, just to see. Management can certainly make or break a place. I will admit, I don't eat at chains when I travel, I had much rather eat at local places.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 08:12 AM

There are a lot of M&S restaurants around Portland. Very inconsistant, even within each location, IME. The decline has been steady, as passerbye mentioned. I remember years ago right out of college it was a special place to go, but now it rarely comes up on anyones radar.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 06:29 AM

In Chicago, I cannot believe you would go wrong at Gibsons (mentioned above) or its sister restaurant next door.

It is the only steak restaurant I have ever been to where the waitress insisted that we order less food rather than more. I was impressed by her integrity, and the food was excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -