Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Portland, Eugene, Seattle & Tacoma: Where's the best BBQ and salmon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 06:04 AM
dcd
Original Poster

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts

A group of us guys get together every couple of years or so to indulge in our collective vices of baseball and BBQ. We've done about 7 of these trips over the past 15 years and we usually hit the known BBQ meccas, but not this year. We'll be flying into Portland on July 11th and out of Seattle the following Sunday. We have tickets for ball games in Salem-Kaiser, Eugene, Seattle and Tacoma.

Now we need a little help figuring out where to eat. For breakfast, we generally hit the nearest KrispyKreme unless there's a BBQ joint open early in the am. Then we seek out 4-6 BBQ joints during the rest of the day, sampling only the meats and shunning the buns and sides. And distance is rarely an obstacle when we're talking great Q. We typically drive 1,500 miles during these 4 day trips. I guess you've probably figured out by now why the wives want no part of these adventures in gluttony.....

So we'd greatly appreciate your thoughts on the best BBQ joints in these 4 cities and their surrounding areas (within 100 miles or so).

One of the reasons we picked the NW for this year's trip is because of the opportunity to dabble in some salmon, considering our advancing ages, waistlines, and cholesterol readings. But, truth be told, the very idea of eating something healthy on these trips is pure heresy. Nevertheless, we're reasonably open-minded. So if there are any truly outstanding salmon joints/restaurants in or near these cities, we'd love to hear about them, too.

Thanks!!

Dave

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 07:26 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
To say the PNW is BBQ Hell is a little overstated, but not by much. Keep your expectations low and be prepared to be surprised. Or not.

Can't speak for anything south of the Columbia, but in the Seattle area you should definitely go for the fish and dip into the BBQ genre only if you're willing to be disappointed.

That said, the OK Corral in the Greenwood neighborhood of Seattle can be okay, the Pecos Pit on First Avenue S. is a few blocks from Safeco Field, so good for a twofer, but don't expect great BBQ.

People say Roy's in the Columbia City neighborhood in Seattle (on Rainier Ave. S.) is good but haven't been there. There are also places in Granite Falls (way out there) and Everett that are respectable. Come to think of it, the Depot Smokehouse in Everett (good) is located quite close to the Everett Aquasox field (Mariners "A" league team) - and actually the Aquasox games are about as good as it gets for minor league ball in these parts - great little stadium, great food, cheap. Excellent outing if you have the time.

No problems finding decent salmon anywhere on your route.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow- good BBQ in Eugene- as Gardyloo says- keep your expectations low.
There is Papa's Soul Food Kitchen - but I haven't eaten there
and there is Hole in the Wall BBQ- I was not impressed with the ribs but have heard good reports on pulled pork/ beef.
The best BBQ in Eugene is actually at my house in my opinion
I lived in KC for years so am spoiled by eating great KC BBQ.

Good salmon available many places in Eugene- you might enjoy the Waterfront Restaurant- they have some dry roasted ribs I really like - they have a nice bar with outside patio on the river and
you can order the ribs from the bar menu.
The bar is one of the local favorite watering holes and a place where guys might like to hang out

have fun!!
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 08:20 AM

Having lived in the Portland area for most of my life, I'm not even sure I can discern good BBQ from bad!!! Besides something like Tony Roma's, I can remember having barbecue around here at only two places: Buster's, a small local chain with 3 Portland area restaurants and 1 in Salem, and Logan's Backyard Barbecue, in Lake Oswego, 10 miles south of Portland. Between the two, I'd pick Logan's. He's a one-man show, operating out of a small house-converted-to-restaurant. The only other place I know of is Uncle Wally's, in Wilsonville, 20 miles south of Portland. Heard it's good too, but never been. Do a search at portlandfood.org and you might come up with some better recommendations.

Salmon? Almost any decent non-ethnic restaurant in town will have it on the menu. But in particular, you guys would probably have fun at a place like Henry's 12th Street Tavern. http://www.henrystavern.com/index.cf...splay&pageID=9

Sounds like a great time!

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 11:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
goodluck

seriously i love seattle -live here- but sure don't consider it a destination for excellent BBQ. salmon is a no-brainer. that you can find at any restaurant with a NW or seafood focus. Etta's, Cutter's, Anthony's, Ivar's, etc.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 11:36 AM

Even on chowhound.com, the consensus is that BBQ pickins (pun intended) are slim, but there was one vote backing up Gardyloo's Roy's suggestion.

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/412738
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 02:25 PM

Not quite what you have in mind, but you could try the BBQ pork & duck in Chinatown... there's places with those hanging in the windows
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 02:57 PM

Russell Street BBQ on the corner of MLK Blvd. and Russell St. is pretty good. Even better is Rib City across the river in Vancouver on East Mill plain. The best Salmon in the Portland area I have found is a place called Beaches, also in Vancouver right on the river.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 05:22 PM
dcd
Original Poster

You guys are great!! Keep 'em coming! I don't think we'll go hungry.

Yes, our expectations will be lowered for this trip. But the chowhound article and the portlandfood site have me thinking the Q may not be so bad after all. Gardyloo, your recommendations seem to be spot on. I'm thinking a little field trip to Everett and Lynnwood may be in order. Granite Falls is probably a tad far though.

Still looking for more Oregon suggestions. Thanks again. Dave
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 08:18 PM

Try looking at other restaurant related websites like

yelp.com

epinions.com

Good luck! BTW: there's good Scandinavian food in Seattle.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 02:34 PM

For salmon, you'll be fine most anywhere, but for BBQ I recommend you check on chowhound.com.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 01:46 PM

PNW has such fantastic food, it seems ashame to miss it because you're searchin' for BBQ where it isn't

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 04:05 PM

suze is right. Here I am in the land of steaks and I am so hungry for some good Portland salmon...
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 09:21 PM

I avoid the BBQ up here - it's just not our thing.

I like Ray's Boathouse for salmon. They do a smoked salmon appetizer that is to die for. And drinks on the balcony in summer is quintessential Seattle.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 07:04 PM
dcd
Original Poster

OK gang, I need some help picking out the seafood places the locals go for good food and reasonable prices in Oregon. After arriving in Portland at lunch time, we'll have to try at least one BBQ joint there before heading to Salem for a night game. Any outstanding seafood joints in Salem? We'll spend the nite in Salem and, in the morning, we will probably head west to Lincoln City and start driving south to Reedsport along that gorgeous coastline. Where should we stop for a memorable seafood lunch? At Reedsport, we'll head east and end up in Eugene. Where is "the" seafood spot there for dinner?

You guys have given us some good ideas for Seattle salmon. Anything great near Tacoma, where we watch our last ball game Sat nite?

Thanx, Dave

PS Scarlett, I've been lurking in your BA posts and admire your sense of adventure. You, the Yankee and pup have my very best wishes. Sorry you left Portland before we had a chance to meet!
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 11:07 AM
dcd
Original Poster

Any more thoughts? Thanks. Dave
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 06:02 AM

From today's Seattle P-I:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/322568_rest06.html
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 07:17 AM

Topping because it got lost in yesterday's board troubles...
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Dave, IF you find great BBQ in Seattle I demand a trip report (cuz I want to know where to go get some)!
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Oops, or I could read the article provided above!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -