Arches Fiery Furnace

Jan 22nd, 2007, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Arches Fiery Furnace

Anyone gone on the ranger led Fiery Furnace hike? Is it worth it? How long does it take? We are very active hikers and marathon runners. We loved Angel's Landing in Zion National Park and are trying to decide if this hike in Arches National Park is a good one.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:36 PM

we did it about 4 years ago.....and yes it is fantastic......totally different then any other hike we did solo at Arches. you're mostly walking on, over and around large rock formations. don't recall how long it took....maybe 3 hours???????
Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:05 PM

It is absolutely fantastic. If you do one thing in Arches, do this.

You sound so fit you will have zero problems (honestly, anyone in average shape can do this-I think they just emphasize that you should be fit because so many people who are in terrible shape won't admit it, and it would ruin the tour for everyone if one person can't do it).

Call the visitor's center to see how long it is, and remember you have to sign up for it there in advance.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:20 PM

Yes! Do it! Fantastic! As soon as you arrive inthe area, go into the ranger station at the entrance to sign up for the hike that day or the next. It is a popular tour.
Jan 27th, 2007, 07:05 AM

Found a website that says you may need to make reservations in person up to a week in advance however we won't be there til the night before (the end of May). Is there another way to make reservations or a company that can do this?
Jan 27th, 2007, 07:23 AM

PS - krowe - Didn't mean to hijack this thread - just wondering about how to make sure we get to do this hike based on the feedback you've received
Jan 27th, 2007, 08:40 AM

krowe,

My husband and I were there second week of May last year. As soon as we got to Moab we went straight to ranger station at the Park entrance and signed up for the hike the next afternoon. They do a morning hike as well.

We really enjoyed it, as much for the geology lessons and other info from the ranger as for the hike itself. Hike is 2 1/2 - 3 hours but allow more time as you have to get there a bit before time to start. Take plenty of water. It's cooler there than most of the Park because you're in the shade most of the time, but the ranger will ask you how much you have and I drank a lot of mine. They also check out your shoes. Our ranger didn't turn away anyone, but since they tell you when you sign up what to bring/how to dress, I suppose they could.

You would probably also enjoy the Delicate Arch hike. More strenuous than some in the Park, but won't be for you, I think. It's also more crowded, especially the afternoon we did it as there was a full moon rising. Must have been 200 people up there along with a Japanese travel film crew. May not be so bad on "regular" days. Nice views. Also think about doing all or part of the Double O trail. Search here for sharondi. She posted a good report about it, as I recall.

luvtravel,

According to the Park service info, the trips usually don't fill up more than a day or two ahead. If you have a couple of days there you might not have to worry. As far as I know there is no other way to sign up but in person. Part of this is because they want to show you photos of what you'll be doing and see if you think you can manage it - one of the photos shows a very narrow slot you have to go through. My husband is 6ft, 200 lbs and it would have been getting tight if he were much bigger. They also tell you at that time what to wear/bring. I guess the other is to keep control of the spaces available so they know when they reach capacity.

Hope this helps.

Fran
Jan 27th, 2007, 08:49 AM

luvtravel,

Forgot this. The week in advance thing - you can't sign up any farther ahead than that. Doesn't mean that it will necessarily fill up that quickly.

Fran
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:21 AM

fiery furnace is a great hike, and you really need the ranger because once in the fins you really can't see landmarks. i also did angel's landing and they both are very different but great hikes. you aught to consider some canyon land hikes, don't know your timing. one of my favorite hiking trails is the confluence trail, but you get that in the southern section of canyonlands closer to montecello. there are plenty of great hikes in the area.
Jan 27th, 2007, 05:13 PM

You must sign up in person. You really won't have a problem if you drive to the ranger station when you first get into town. They will give you options of AM or PM tours various days. We went in July, a busy month, and we had several choices.
Jan 27th, 2007, 07:47 PM

Here's the NPS site for the Fiery Furnace Hike: http://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/programs.htm
While in Moab, be sure to go to Dead Horse Point State Park and Canyonlands Island In The Sky region. Dead Horse Point is on the way to Island In the Sky.