Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Arches - Delicate Arch or Fiery Furnace?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2004, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If we have time (and stamina) for 1 hike only, should we choose the Delicate Arch or the Fiery Furnace (ranger led tour)? Which one would you choose and why? We are in our 30s, moderately fit and plan to do a Utah NP tour in September. Thanks
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 03:28 PM

Oh boy tough call. I am 71 and could do both hikes in one day, subject to the heat factor. I suggest doing Delicate Arch as early in the day as possible and then see how you feel.

Delicate Arch is a relatively easy hike for people with 2 good legs and it is nothing short of spectacular. For me it is the essence of Arches -- an arch with views, and other sandstone formations all over. Elevation gain is moderate. Ledge exposure is minimal and should not be a factor. Sun exposure and thirst are the two major enemies.

The Fiery Furnace on the ranger hike tends to be long because you stop and listen to a presentation at frequent intervals. There is a little mild scrambling involved. The heat is a factor, and could dictate the timing. If it was 95 or more in the shade, I am not sure I would start out.

I suggest taking about 1.5 - 2 quarts of water per person on each hike. I don't care what the "book" says, you could easily drink that much under hot conditions if you are a large person, 190 or more. I also suggest having a reserve supply of potable fluid (not Cokes) in your ice chest in your car!

I usually visit there in early May these years. But my first visit there was in the summer when I was in my thirties.

You definitely need sun protection because there is little shade and that is usually from some sandstone fin.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 05:51 PM

Delicate Arch. But do it at sunset. You'll never forget it.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We'll probably do the Delicate Arch at sunset, as a lot of people on this board suggested. We only have 1 day at Arches, we want to take the scenic drive and a few of the shorter hikes, so this will only leave time for one longer hike.
From what I've read, they are both around 3 hrs each. That's why we have to decide on one only.
Bob, thanks for all the advice. We'll carry plenty of water and sun protection.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:59 PM

These are the 2 best in the park in my opinion. Delicate Arch is beautiful, but Fiery Furnace is more fun. Note: Tempertures on the Fiery Furnace hike are about 15 - 20 degrees cooler - you are in the shade of the "fins" nearly the whole time.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:09 PM

If at all possible, do both: Fiery Furnace first thing in the morning, and Delicate Arch in late afternoon. The two hikes give you two very different perspectives on the park. The only other hike I remember is the one to the big double arch (spectacles?). I agree with Dayle that the name "Fiery Furnace" is misleading. It's a biblical reference to the red color and fins reminding people of flames, not that the area is really hot.