good restaurants in Moab?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to be in Moab for 4 days over Easter weekend. We plan on mainly hiking in Canyonlands and Arches NP. We are staying in Moab. Does anyone have suggestions on where to eat, and whether or not we will need reservations anywhere over the busy Easter weekend? Everything I've read about this area sounds fabulous. We are escaping the cold Minnesota snow and are eager to enjoy what the Moab area has to offer. In addition to hiking, we will drive the scenic routes. We're not interested in the 4-wheeling, but perhaps the biking? We bike, but typically on bike trails. We're in good physical shape, but not used to real mountain biking. Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Hi Jorda,

Easter week? Do you realize what you are in for? Did you know that Easter week is the Jeep Jamboree and every 4 x 4 within Utah and the surrounding states will be there? The town, restaurants, lodging and all camping will be filled with thousands of off-roaders. If you don't already have lodging reservations, I doubt you will get any.

OK, that said, I don't know if most of the restaurants take reservations. There are only a couple that would, the Center Cafe is one. It's very nice, and high priced. It was recommended to me, but I was disappointed in the food and service.

Other good places are the Moab Brewery and the Slickrock Cafe. Lots of people also like Buck's Steakhouse. I really like Eddie McStiff's. There's a great little place across the street from the visitor's center that does wraps and smoothies for lunch.

Mountain biking in Moab on the slickrock trails is only for the experienced and fearless. If you are not, stick to the hiking, there is more than enough for a lifetime.

If you do go during Easter, spend most of your time in the parks (no 4x4 allowed) and hiking (less crowds).

Good luck and report back!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dayle,
I guess ignorance is not bliss...I had no clue that this was the Jeep Jamboree..I assumed the area would be busy simply because of Easter. We do have lodging at Canyonlands Best Western- it was all I could find a few weeks ago.
We will take your advice and stick to the hiking- anything to avoid the off-roaders- although hiking was our main goal anyway. Wish I had known this- we would have visited at a quieter time.
Thanks for the restaurant advice- perhaps beating the crowds will become our main goal!! I'll let you know how we survive...Thanks
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 11:34 AM

if you like a long and not too difficult day hike, think about the confluence trail in canyolands, you need to drive down to the montecello enterance but the hike has so many different looks. also if you can do the fiery furnace hike (ranger guided, res. may be necessary) at arches. delicate arch also a nice easy hike. a quick little drive thru the la sals is also quite beautiful. scenic road is a left turn just south of town. don't recall the name... moab also has a little winery and the wine is not bad at all. I like the slickrock cafe also but there are some good restaurants at the back of town off main street (west side) take a walking tour and see. enjoy, moab is on my list of favorite places in the U.S.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Hi Jorda,

Are you flying out or driving? You could always cancel and come a week or two later?

Anyway, I also recommend the Firey Furnace hike, you must make advance reservations at the park visitor center for it, especially during this very busy time. Also in Arches,in addition to Delicate Arch, the hike to Landscape Arch and Double O Arch is great.

In Canyonlands the hikes to Mesa Arch and Upheaval Dome are very good. don't miss Dead Horse Point.

Outside the parks, the Corona Arch hike off Potash Road is short, easy and very rewarding.

If time is limited, you might want to check out a scenic flight. Go to www.slickrockairguides.com. They have tours from 1 - 4 hours. Well worth the money.

Have fun!

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 04:10 AM

Jorda,
We love the Moab area too. If its crowded in Arches, head out to the Tower Arch area of the park. No one seems to go out that way and the hike is incredible. If you click on my screen name, you'll find a very long trip report from our fall trip to Utah as you scroll down. We also have a bunch of pictures (pretty good ones) from our trip posted at www.pbase.com/peterb - just click on the utah04 gallery. We had a pretty good meal at Miquels Baja and a really great meal at this newer place near the entrance to town. Its in a grove of trees on the left as you're coming into town from Arches. Excellent mexican food, beautiful setting. Can't think of the name but its in our trip report. Very inexpensive too. You'll have a great time.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 06:52 AM

If you want to try biking, we did the Klondike Bluffs trail and it was not too difficult.

I second Eddie McStiffs and Slickrock Cafe for food.

Have fun!
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 08:54 AM

La Hacienda (this may be the one Sharondi was referring to);

Pasta Jays