Appropriate dress while visiting the Navajo reservation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of websites and guidebooks have mentioned that it can be considered impolite to wear shorts and/or halter tops (especially for the women, although I have to admit that any man in a halter top ANYWHERE would cause a doubletake from me....) while visiting the Navajo reservation. Since we will be touring Canyon de Chelly in August, the idea of wearing long pants or jeans is not exactly thrilling to us. We (my husband, daughter, son-in-law and I) will probably all wear shorts, but I can assure you none of them will be very short or revealing, nor will any of us have on halter tops. Has anyone experienced problems with this while visiting the reservation?
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 01:21 PM

I think you can safely wear shorts. No one would expect you to wear jeans in the heat of August here in the SW. I think your attire should be comfortable and I am sure you will be dressed in appropriate clothes which will not offend.

I live near the reservation and trust me, the tribal members dress for summer when they are here in town and I doubt they change clothes when they get home.

Deb
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 01:47 PM

You might want to be covered up for another reason -- protection from the sun. Loose, linen-like capris or peasant skirts can be cooler than shorts. Hats and sunscreen, too, of course. Canyon de Chelly is one of my favorite places ever; be sure you see the it both from multiple rim viewpoints and from inside the canyon with a Navajo guide.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! We already have reservations with Adam Teller of Antelope House Tours, which I am really looking forward to experiencing. I've got my Tilley hat and one of those neckerchief things that you soak in cold water. I tell my friends I'll call them and let them know how the phrase, "Oh, but it's a DRY heat" works for me!
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 07:12 AM

dress casual and comfortable .. us injuns are like you, we eat, sleep and dress like everyone else .. we've seen it all .. I guess if it comes right down to Navajo or Dine dress, most everyone dresses cowboyish ... jeans and such .. remember it is rodeo and ranching country .. my family likes to tease me when they see me wearing Topsiders, khakies or shots ... say I look like a beach bum .. picture this injun on a horse dressed that way and you'll know why they get a good laugh : ) .. have a great time and know that the Dine nation thanks you for visiting our great reservation !!
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

2dogs - Thanks for your reply. My original post reminded me a little of the (what seems like a thousand) emails that ask, "Should I wear white sneakers in Europe?"....