Apartments - holiday rentals - August

Old May 25th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apartments - holiday rentals - August

Hi, I'm coming to NY for the 1st time in August and would like to rent an apartment for 2 weeks in central location. Maybe Chelsea ?
Can anyone suggest an agency / source which might be useful please? Price range around $1500 p.w. Many thanks
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:22 AM

Is there just you - will a studio be enough?

Are you limited to Chelsea (what do you want things to be central to - downtown trendy shopping? clubbing? museums? standard tourist attraction?theater?)

If you search above there have beena couple of threads on what apartments some people have found. I believe Patrick has some good info.
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:03 AM

It would help us to help you if, as nytraveler says, we knew a bit more about you and your plans while in NY. There are lots of places that are "central" and the transport sysetem is easy to navigate. It's really about what sort of "vibe" you want, what amenities, how many of you there are, and even why you want an apt.

Here is the link to the thread nytraveler refers to with 2 apts that Patrick (who was looking for a 1 month rental) liked that supposedly rent by the week. One is in Chelsea. Some other posters also mention other places in that post.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34547444

Some other agencies that have been mentioned for short term apt rentals are
subletinthecity.com

http://www.furnishedquarters.com/

citylightsnewyork.com

which also has a b and b option (you stay in someone's apt while they're also there). I know of a couple who had a wonderful experience with one of these in Murray Hill.

vrbo.com is a website where you rent direct from the owner. Many people use this website for other locations. I don't know how good it would be for NYC. Craigslist.com is another website where people advertise apts themselves. You could also put in an add asking for what you want. Patrick had luck with that, although that was for a month.

I will add that there are now loads of hotels with apt style rooms (ie separate bedroom and siiting room if you want---or all one big room but more space than a regular hotel room--and kitchen or kitchenette). The advantage of these apt/hotels is daily maid service, sometimes breakfast included, front desk/concierge and guarantee of "full service" building (ie elevator) and ofcourse, enough space for several people. But keep in mind, due to fire code regulations, many places have maximum number of people to a "room" so don't assume you can get say 6 adults in a one bedroom apt. Sometimes you can, but sometimes not.

None of the apt/hotels that I can recall are in Chelsea. When you ask for a central location, midtown would be considered most central. Affinia.com is a hotel group with very nice apt/hotels scattered around midtown. The Affinia 50 has very large one bedroom apts, some with balconies. It's on 50 st & 3rd ave., very central near Bloomingdales and other midtown shops.

The upper west side is a more residential area with access to midtown but Chelsea is good too. Chelsea does tend to be a bit younger than midtown and has a large artistic/gay community, just fyi. Some apt style hotels on the UWS are the Beacon and the Milburn., There are also a number of b and bs and "inns" that also have apt. style accomodation. 2 on the UWS are www.jacksbandb.com (very basic) and wymanhouse.com

Be aware that many "real apartments" are in non -elevator buildings. Not a big deal, but could be a problem if you're on a higher floor or will have lots of luggage to get in and out.
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:00 PM

Ummmmm, would you be interested in apartment sitting, in exchange for feeding our cats? Maybe something we might be able to work out?
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Hi Wantsumsun,
That might be a good solution for us both. I'm travelling with a friend and we both have cats, so would be happy to care for yours. I'm not sure of the protocol on this Forum - should we discuss this "off Forum" ? If so my e-mail is "[email protected]" (just remove the "nospam"bit). Where is your apartment?

There will be two of us, both Australians, my first trip to NY, although I've done a fair bit of travelling through Europe & Asia & Pacific regions over the last 25 years or so. And Australia, of course - not everywhere, but pretty extensively in all states. Will be meeting an old school friend who's in the US for a conference, in NY to "absorb" for 2 weeks.

We're interested in theatre, dance, art, museums, music, except rap & heavy metal <LOL> restaurants and, of course, some shopping. Everything, I guess, except theme parks, overly "Touristy" places & things.

An ideal day would be an early morning walk, a good Italian coffee (& maybe a pastry)in little deli/coffee bar on the way home, then out to see some galleries,museums (MoMA, Met, or some smaller local galleries )whatever. Maybe call into a little pub for a salad & listen to some music for a late lunch, wander around & just "be" - perhaps spend a lazy hour in a bookshop - or that little shoe shop someone told us about! Then in the evening, go see a play (probably not a musical), or dance (modern)or to a little Bistro that only the locals know about. We might call in somewhere for a pre- dinner cocktail or if there was a lounge with some good music, may call in there after dinner for an hour or so.

We're both keen cooks and like to investigate the local produce markets. (One of my favourite things is to do a one day cooking course combined with a trip around the markets where-ever I can. Italy, Thailand, Bali, Fiji & Singapore so far) I think one of the joys of travelling is learning as much as one can about the people, culture, of the place I'm visiting and feel that food & music are such an integral part of that journey.

Having travelled in all sorts of places, we're both pretty flexible and like to "blend in" as much as possible - you know, pretend we're locals! We're both in business, my friend is the administrator of a service organization and I have an insurance/finance consultancy.

Naturally,having said we're not into "touristy" things, we'd love to see some of your landmarks. I think the Chrysler building is a fantastic piece of architecture. And, I'd love to do the ferry trip on the Hudson that I've read about on this Forum.

Just to perhaps explain my "scattiness" & lack of firm plans .... this whole thing came up over lunch last Sunday (22nd). Marilyn said she was going to NY after the conference & that she was a little difident about how much she would enjoy it on her own. Being a solo traveller of long experience, I said she'd be fine and that I'd swap places with her in a flash. "Well, come!" she said. Mmmm ! Wow ! I thought if I could get a direct flight with my FF's on the right days, I might just be able to manage it. It's a pretty busy work period for me - and I'm in the midst of some fairly big (and costly!) renovations on my home/office. So, with all that in hand, and having just come back from a fortnight in Alice Springs/Ayers Rock, a trip to NY was the last thing on my mind ! However: NY has always been one of my "dream" destinations - and when the planets lined up with 2 direct legs on FF's (only Econ yet - still working on the Business class upgrade!) ... I thought I just had to do it! So .. here I am!

Re our accommodation: Marilyn has a provisional booking at the Pennsylvania Hotel, which seems to be pretty handy to lots of the things we're interested in - and looks o.k. (basic but reasonably priced - especially when she was going to be paying for it on her own.) Now I'm coming, I thought it might be possible and preferable, to have a bit more room - and more fun to have the atmosphere of a "local apartment", if we could get something for a similar price in a good location.

Sorry this has been a bit long - winded, but hope it's given you an idea of what we're about.

I really appreciate your help and would be grateful for any tips you can give me/us.

Old May 25th, 2005, 07:41 PM

This just might be doable, and we sure could use a little vacation, but have always had problems finding someone to take care of our "babies".

We live on the uppest west side of Manhattan. The area is called Washington Heights, and we are just a couple of blocks off the A train. We have 2 bedrooms, which might be a little more comfortable for you.

Lets email. I will email you tomorrow and we can see just what we can work out.

Thanks
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Great - let's have a chat & see what we can work out. I know what you mean about the cats - I've got friends coming to house-sit for me and look after Max the Marvellous Marmelade Moggie.
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:12 AM

Hope this has a happy ending. If it should not, I think Chelsea would be a wonderful location for you (near the Chelsea Market, the Joyce theater where a lot of modern dance is located, not far from the Union Square market...) Murray Hill, while not as interesting an area, would also work well for you as would the village (Greenwich Village, east, west and central) or Soho.

But one STRONG recommendation, please don't stay at the Pennsylvania hotel. It's considered one of the worst by NYers and the area, while convenient, is not very nice.
Old May 26th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your info & recommendations. McLaurie, what would be your recommendation for accommodation in the area? That's what is SO valuable about local knowledge v's what looks ok in books and travel agents' brochures. Same here, there are areas, hotels etc., which, to visitors, would look ideal but which we locals, to coin a slang phrase, would not put a dead dog in !

Thanks again.
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:23 AM

If your arpartment sitting thing doesn;t work out - PLEASE do not even consider staying at the Pennsylvania. It's awfulness has been the subeject of numerous complaints and it is reportedly heavily infested with vermin of varoius types.

Based on your type of travel I would not even consider staying in midtown at all - but would do either the upper west side (or upper east), chelsea, lower east side, village, etc, All much more residential - give a much better real city experience - and have lots of great, inexpensive restaurants, markets etc. neighborhhod restaruants
Old May 26th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Totally agree with nytraveler, almost anywhere but midtown would suit you I think. Would help to have an idea of approximate age and style (trendy, bohemian, middle of the road etc.) of you 2.

The upper west side is very nice, is close to both Central Park and Riverside Park, is where Lincoln Center is (not sure if there is any dance performance going on in August there though) If you wanted to take some dance classes, the upper west side is probably where you'd find them. (If you tell me what kind of dance you do, might be able to direct you to classes) and the upper west side has great access to midtown for theater etc. It also has some really nice and moderately affordable hotels---the Lucerne is probably the nicest. It even has some apt style hotels that I already mentioned like the Beacon and the Milburne. It is a family area too with kids, and is more a 35+ area, probably emphasis on plus.

The village, Soho, the east village, Chelsea are younger. Before I blather on...give me some more imput on age, style and whether or not the thing with wantsomesun is working out.

Old May 27th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi Nytraveler & Mclaurie,

Thanks again for your assistance & suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Haven’t heard back from Wantsomesun yet, but hopefully will do so in the next day or so.

In the meantime, I’ll continue to explore the best alternative options - and learn as much as I can about what to do & see.

Sometimes these “serendipitous” things work out really well. I’ve had some wonderful experiences in the past. Swapped houses with a chap in Melbourne when I lived there for 6 months a few years ago. He was doing a short term contract here and it worked a treat for both of us. We’d go back to our respective homes on weekends – occasionally meeting up in the Qantas Club in Sydney or Melbourne on Friday nights “ships in the night”. Minded an apartment and a gorgeous chocolate standard poodle in Milan. Gave me instant “local” status on our walks <LOL> Anyone who’s observed the early morning canines & their walkers will have a chuckle here. I was going to say, “In Italy” – but on reflection, I guess it’s the same world wide in the chic inner city zones ! I’ve had people to stay and loaned my house to people I’ve met on my travels – and “friends of friends’ friends” and have been very fortunate in meeting some wonderful people. Funnily enough, I’ve not consciously sought to either “borrow” a house or “lend” mine – on each occasion it’s just been one of those things that “pop up”.

Sometimes though, for various reasons, it just doesn’t happen … it might be one of those things that “seem like a good idea at the time”, but next day the enthusiasm wanes. Or a partner might not agree, the location/times might not gel. Anyway, I’m very relaxed about this – will just wait until I hear back from “Wantsomesun” and we have a chat. If we can help out, would be happy to do so, if it works out for us all.

About my style ? Well, I’m not sure how I’d categorise myself. (Best done by others, methinks!) Feels as if I’m writing for a “Personals” ad !!!!!!! <LOL> Female, 40’s, fit (not fanatical) active. I like golf, sailing, diving, riding , walking, country and city life. And sitting in the sun reading. And love cooking & having friends around . I’ve lived in the country and in a few pretty sophisticated cities in the world (Sydney , Melbourne, London) and enjoy all enormously. My home faces North & the first thing I see every morning is the Sun rising over the ocean and every single day I look at that & say “Wow “! I try (but don’t always succeed) to get down to the beach by the time the sun pops up on the horizon., and then walk 10km around the beach & back up the hill home via our local Italian deli for a coffee. I have current International Designer labels and op-shop & market purchases in my wardrobe and some of the “vintage” gear has earned its title in my possession! I’m equally at home in the sophisticated inner city, trendy areas, restaurants, bars & shops as in the laid back, beach areas or in the country. I guess my area of unfamiliarity would be the suburban & “dormitory” areas. (I’m trying not to sound snobby here but not sure how else to put it.) My cellar has some quaffers, v.nice (a few great oldies) Australian reds, couple of Champagnes some French & Italian whites and some fantastic GSM’s made by the people who own the Merino stud where we used to buy our rams.

I’ve enjoyed sailing & diving in the Whitsundays with 3 friends and a 5 day cycling trip around some of our Victorian wine areas. When I travel, I’d rather spend a month getting to know 1 country or area than zoom through 15. I never “do” locations (“We’ve done, Florence, Rome and tomorrow we’re going to Venice to do that before we go to France”) I travel lightly (but often need another bag on the homeward leg!) and like to absorb , fit in & enjoy life as a “local”. And I’m aghast at people who travel & demand everything to be exactly as it is in their “home town”, from the language to the food. (On a little boat going out to a floating village in Thailand a very loud shrill, strident voice (I’m embarrassed to say, an Australian) demanded of her husband why “ can’t they even speak English” & announced that she wouldn’t eat any of “that muck”. Thought she should have stayed home in her suburban house & eaten a cheddar sandwich ! And that their English was better than our Thai, after all we were in their country, not vice versa! )

Food – love good, innovative, interesting food, of all types. I will and have tried just about anything, and enjoyed most of it. I often ask the head waiter to surprise me, bring me what the staff is having, or choose something I’ve never heard of. That’s how I first learned of the wonderful, sensuous, sensational black squid served with slice of polenta. The waiters were having it for lunch in a tiny little trattoria on Zattere. Not interested in “all you can eat”, don’t eat at McDonalds or Starbucks or “chains”.

Travel – independent, usually solo. Not attracted to group travel. But often join in a “special interest excursion”. (5 days in Kakadu last year and a weekend Alice Springs to Ayres Rock recently) In Europe/UK – spend a few days/ week in my arrival city, then hire a car & head out to explore. In Asia, usually just take drivers as needed. I sometimes do a ½ day “city tour” to familiarise & learn about some of the major landmarks. Did a fabulous walk in Rome with a couple of other people under a volunteer “Greeters” arrangement and will do that in NYC too as it seems like a really good way to begin.

Entertainment/ Leisure: Subscriptions to Opera, Symphony, Theatre, Dance (modern) – also enjoy Jazz, Blues, some Rock & Popular (not heavy metal/rap or country (twanging stuff) Film, Art – all sorts. Not too interested in “craft” (but like to wander around markets!) Bookshops – especially old ones.

Gosh ! I’m rabbiting on here …… hope it’s given you at least something of an insight into “me” and my lifestyle.

Thanks again for your help, please feel free to ask any specifics you think might be helpful. In the meantime, I’m off down to the deli, sit in the sun reading the papers & (hopefully) watching the whales as they head North for an hour or so. Meeting a friend later on for 9 holes of golf then going to Newtown (other side of the harbour, bohemian / University /trendy area) for dinner & a film. Tomorrow another friend & I are having a Gallery day – wandering around the Art Gallery of NSW (our major gallery where the annual Archibald exhibition is on) and some of the inner city galleries (Paddington & the Rocks ). Somewhere along the way, we’ll have lunch either down near the Opera House or in the Rocks & listen to some music. Then we’re going either to our favourite Vietnamese restaurant or a great little Italian just around corner. Depends what we feel like at the time <LOL>. Re-reading this, looks as if I do nothing but eat & drink! Not true. Well, not entirely true ! <LOL>

Enjoy your weekend ! Is it a celebratory/holiday weekend in the States ? “Memorial Weekend” ?

Old May 28th, 2005, 04:00 AM

Yes it's Memorial Day weekend and today is my birthday!

Enjoyed reading your last post. Must be wonderful to live across from the beach!

Wantsomesun is a regular poster here and I know she sings in a choir that performs at St. John the Divine, a magnificent church. Washington Heights, where her apt is located, is at the northern tip of Manhattan. I'm not really familiar with the area. Here's a link to a real estate section of New York Magazine which has a description of a lot of the areas of Manhattan including that one. It will give you an idea of what's where and what's what

http://nymetro.com/visitorsguide/nei...oods/index.htm

Based on what you've said about yourself, I think it sounds like you 'd be happy almost anywhere in the city. I also wondered, if things don't work out with wantsomesun if you might like staying in 2 different places, a week each to get a feel for different areas of the city.

I don't think anyone has mentioned craigslist.com yet. This is a popular website where people put ads for apt sublets, petsitting etc. You might have a look there too. At one point when the previously mentioned Patrick was looking for a one month rental in NYC I suggested HE put his own ad in craigslist and he indeed found a "match" but then he couldn't do a month and the apt owners also had an issue.

Hope this is helpful. Between the info from NY Mag, the previously mentioned apt rental websites and the apt/hotels I mentioned, you should be in good shape for now. Post back if you need more info.
Old May 28th, 2005, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Happy Birthday McLaurie! And thank you SO much for that info - it's great. Have looked up your Memorial Day on google and am now not such an ignoramus!

Yes, I'd be open to a week in a couple of places. As you say, it would give us an opportunity to experience different aspects of your city. Will have a look at all those sites, too.

I've taken your point about the Pennsylvania and whilst you're right about my being flexible in choice & location of accommodation - I'm not flexible enough to share it with vermin of any description ..... be it the 2 legged or multi-legged variety !

I got the impression that the former might also feature in the Penn ?

Enjoy your day ... 21 again ?!
Old May 28th, 2005, 06:07 AM

Yes! 21 again! The Pennsylvania hotel sits right across from Penn Station, one of our 2 main train stations. In it's heyday it was very nice. The phone number is Pennsylvania 6 5000. If you're a jazz fan you might recognize it?

http://www.barrypopik.com/article/35...ia-6-5000-1940

Anyway, the area is very commercial, convenient but not very nice. The hotel has not been well maintained and you just don't want to stay there. Coming full circle, if your friend's conference is near there or at the Javits Center (sort of in no man's land), the nicest hotel in that area would probably be the Southgate Towers but I still try to steer people away from that neighborhood.
Old May 31st, 2005, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the info in this thread. Im English and planning to come to NY also this August...my husband isnt keen on a city break, but think I could persuade him! One thing that might sell him would be a place out near the coast..does anyone have any ideas ? I have two children aged 14 and 16. I also plan to do the NY marathon but not until 2006 !
Cheers
Old May 31st, 2005, 03:23 PM

Do you mean a beach house - or are you meanng to stay in the city? You can do both in a vacation - but not simultaneously.

The waterfront areas in NYC are busy residential areas - not beach vacation areas. To stay at a beach you would need to go out on Long Island - or to the Jersey shore - and commuting back and forth to the city on a daily basis is not realistic.

Provide more info on your thoughts - # of days, interests etc and your budget - and people can make specific recos.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Message for WANTSOMESUN

Hi,
Hope you had a great Memorial weekend.

If you are still interested in chatting about the possibility of our minding your cats in August, would you be able to e-mail me please?
Many thanks & kind regards
my e-mail is: [email protected]
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 06:21 PM

The apartments are generally in good condition. Maintenanace is free and prompt. Rent is usually lower than what you would find anywhere else. You can also find sublets.
Good bang for the buck.

Plus they have a great website to get you started in NY, it's called new york residents: http://www.nyresidents.com .
You can meet other residents there, buy and sell stuff from other residents, find cheap sublets and more. That makes moving in much better.