Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone seen Fiddler on the Roof (currently in previews on b'way) ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering how it's looking. I'm taking my son 2/6 but haven't really heard any buzz. It was one of my childhood favorites. I'm hoping my son will feel the same.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:42 AM
mp

A friend saw it last week and liked it - not crazy for it, but she felt she was too attached to past productions. She felt it was very appropriate for theatre loving kids aged 9 and up. She thinks it will be very popular and is going again with her daughter and Mom this spring. She wasn't wild about Alfred Molina, but thought Barbara Barrie was great. Hope this helps!
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Well I saw it last night and it was a disappointment. I thought the performances of the main characters for the most part were ok, but not great and Alfred Molina just didn't make a good Tevye. The one performance I thought that stood out was Motel, the tailor, particularly his solo of Wonder of Wonder. The one aspect of the show that I thought was very good was the set and lighting. Also some of the bigger numbers with the chorus were well done. They also did a good job with the dream sequence.

The oddest thing of all was that Barbara Barrie did not come out for the curtain call. I have never seen a lead actor in any Broadway or other show, not come out. In fact the cast came out almost entirely at the same time, the leads, did not come out separately.

My son (12) did not like it at all, but then again, he's not a big fan of musicals (with the exception of Hairspray which he loved) and didn't really feel like going. The 2 other 12 year olds we were with did enjoy it.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 12:08 PM

Sorry to hear that MFNYC. I hope things improve before we go on the 18th!
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

I'm hoping that we just caught it on an off night. I really wanted to love this show so it was a let down. Let me know what you think of it. I know other people who also have tickets in the next few months.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 02:51 PM
AC

Saw it last night! Loved it! I thought Alfred Molina was just terrific.

The Dancing is unbelievable especially the Russian Soliders and the Bottle Dance done at the Wedding.
The actor that plays Perchik really stands out.

Go and enjoy!!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:45 PM

We saw it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. Sure, Alfred Molina is no Zero Mostel (but then, who is?), but he was good. And, that music is still great and is performed beautifully by the cast.
I agree with MFNYC about the actor playing Motel the Tailor was excellent. (For those of you who watch Law & Order, the actor in the part, is a semi-regular on that TV show, playing the young technician.)
I agree with MFNYC about the technical aspects, which were quite good.
And, the ending still has tears welling up in my eyes.

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 07:16 PM

And if you haven't heard, Barbara Barrie who played Yenta the matchmaker is leaving the show due to "artistic differences". This is interesting considering MFNYC mentioned that she never appeared in the curtain call.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 03:54 AM

Patrick, she's already left the show. Nancy Opel, who was in Urinetown, has replaced her. Frankly, I couldn't see Barrie in the part anyway.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:47 AM

Saw the show last night. I thought it was a terrific show, but Molina was a poor choice for Tevya. No belly and no oy. An "A" for effort though. In the audience was Fivush (sp?) Finkle from Boston Public, Mayor Bloomberg, and Ms Sarah Jessica Parker. Our seats were good, 2nd row center, but, 7th to 10th rows are the best in the house. I can't even say to go with front row mezz, because the mezz curves in an outward arch that puts front row about 25 rows back. For adults that may be fine, but for kids, my opinion is that it is too far. It is a great family show and there were tons of kids in the audience--all of whom were still awake at 11 PM!
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

I just read somewhere else about Barbara Barrie leaving. I guess I really did see it on an 'off' night. Who knows, but maybe her 'differences' had a bad effect on the whole cast. Oh well. I'm glad the rest of you enjoyed it.