Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Patrick - if you are out there we didn't see Michael Ball in Chitty Either

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang while in London last week and it was great, altho it was minus Michael Ball. I don't think he does many performances, even the nighttime ones (which we went to). There was a sign in the theater stating that he does not do matinees either. I'd recommend this show highly, the special effects were great. It's not just for kids either, I think everyone in the audience had a great time.

We also saw Arsenici & Old Lace (an oldie but a goodie). The cast was marvelous, including Michael Richards (Seinfeld's Kramer). Saw Ragtime too -- it was good, but not one I'd run back to see again. We did see Mamma Mia again (4th time, I love that show) and it was as good as ever. They do make a few changes in the show now and then tho (the way the numbers are presented, etc.)
I got all our tickets via Ticketmaster and all seats were in the first 3 rows of Stalls (orchestra) and were great seats.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 10:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We saw him in it and couldn't imagine it without him. He is amazing. I suppose it is still great without him though.

I am surprised. I thought he did all the shows.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biscuit, We saw Peter Bishop in the lead, he was quite good. According to to one of the ushers we talked to he gets lots of practice - she told us Michael Ball is "out" a lot. Whatever,it was a good show and one I'd really recommend, particularly if you have kids.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 11:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi We saw MB in Chitty and thought he was great, however I couldn't help but think that the singing parts of Mr Potts didn't quite bring out the best of his great strong voice.
Anyone else agree?
If he wasn't in it who was the stand in ? Was he good?
Muck
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, Lori. How about that? I thought it was a fluke when we got there last year and they announced he wasn't doing it. The understudy or standby we saw really wasn't very good at all. Our performance was an evening one also.