Any updates on Woodmere, LI, hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2016, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems that every few years I need to find lodging in (or very near) Woodmere, Long Island. I have family there and sometimes things happen that require me to be there. Last time I asked about hotels, I got this very helpful response:

"Rhea58 on Apr 12, 08 at 4:14am
5 Towns Motor Inn, Lawrence-$139
Holiday Inn Express,Lynbook-$171
Best Wester,Rockville Centre-$135.

Based on 5 nite stay beginning
4-17 the above is what I found for
a single. All are 1-4 miles from
Woodmere."

but on that occasion I ended up staying with my family. I really prefer not to do that, especially this time as it will be a sad event.

I just wondered if there are any new hotels I should know about. Of those listed above, I'd choose the Holiday Inn Express but I'd also be happy with something like a Hilton Garden Inn or Marriott Courtyard. I hope to be there for two nights max.

I definitely need to be nearby so staying in Manhattan and taking the train won't work. The other thing is that I won't have a car so I'd like to be able to take cabs wherever I need to go and otherwise will depend on friends and family to take me back to the hotel.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 03:50 AM

Sorry - but getting around suburban LI can be a major PIA. There are very few cabs and they are all based at the train stations. You can call and get one - possibly in 10 minutes or so - but if it's busy or the weather is bad it can take an hour or more. So depending on one for anything time sensitive is a really bad idea.

Sorry - I have not looked at hotels in that area since I have family in the area. I would check out kayak.com or tripadvisor.com to see if they list any other places. A quick look at these sites doesn't show anything else except a VERY seedy looking notel motel in a not great area.

You may also have problems with meals unless they are all with family since I don't believe the places listed offer meals except the coffee/pastry breakfast.
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, NYT. I've looked at TA but I didn't think of kayak. I suspect I'll be able to call a cab from the hotel and get a family member to drive me back (this will be a funeral and shiva).

I'm not too worried about meals. These kinds of hotels all offer breakfast and knowing what shivas are like, there will be no lack of food. I'm hoping only to have to be there for a couple of days anyway.

I'm feeling a little ghoulish because the person is still with us but barely and I want to be prepared.
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 12:58 PM

I know the area well; the hotel in Lawrence is on or near Rockaway Turnpike which is a busy thoroughfare near JFK airport...I might take a look at others before committing to that one..

There are good taxi services that you can call to take you around but as you imagine, best to stay near some kinds of services. Ollie's is the taxi service that many residents use.

http://olliestaxi.com/
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, eks. The Lawrence hotel is the least likely since it's the most pricey.
My plans might be changing. Here's what I wrote on the lounge post:

"I'm possibly re-thinking my plan. It's my cousin's husband who is so very ill. I'm expecting the bad news phone call from her son today or tomorrow. I'm now thinking that my cousin will have plenty of people around her for the funeral and shiva so I might wait until the following week which will be her first week alone. In that case, I may (or may not) stay with her. I'd prefer to stay in a hotel but I'm pretty sure she'll want me at the house."
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 05:59 AM

I think that is the better plan...visit when she will be alone...
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Just spoke to her. He passed away today. She's distraught. I'm going to go as per my plan to visit after the funeral and shiva.

Thanks, everyone, for the hotel advice but I know I'll end up staying with her.
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 05:27 PM

Sorry, gtg
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Deb.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

OK, I've booked my plane ticket and am all set to go but have another question.

I'm landing at LGA and was under the impression that I would get picked up there (if not by my cousin, then by her son or a friend) but now I'm hearing that my cousin no longer drives at night, the son is busy and there are probably no friends available. So now I have to get myself from the airport to her house.

I'm getting crabby. This trip is well-intentioned but getting expensive. Remember, I'm paying in Canadian funds so that adds about 30% to my trip. OK, end of rant.

OK, here's my question. I have quotes from both Dial7 and Carmel, both at about $60 + whatever else and tip. Is there a less expensive way to get from LGA to Woodmere?

I know I was willing to pay for a hotel but once I was committed to staying with my cousin, I thought this would be an airfare-only kind of trip.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 08:29 AM

You could look at the airline web site to se if there are any car services based either in woodmere or other parts of the 5 towns. That might be cheaper.

Otherwise I suggest trying Carmel and looking at their website to see if there are any coupons - often they have $5 off.

The other option is to make your way from LGA to the LIRR (perhaps a cab to woodside) and then take the LIRR to woodmere and a taxi from the station. This will probably cost less but not sure it would be enough less to make all of the toing and froing worthwhile.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, NYT. I don't think taking the train will make as much as a difference as I'd like. Carmel does have a coupon for 3, 4 or 5 bucks. I might just have to grin and bear the cost.

It's just annoying. I know if the situation were reversed, any number of my friends would step up to do an airport run. Plus, when these cousins have visited here, we chauffeured them around many times.

I'll save my complaints for here and won't say a word to her or her kids, I promise.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 07:17 PM

I linked the. popular area car service above, but they will probably charge the same..do check, however.. Most locals in that area people would use those and NOT Carmel. Your relatives may know someone who does airport runs...many people in the area would have a contact especially to go to LGa which is a bit more of a pain than JFK.

Your other option is to take the public bus to Manhattan and then take a train from Penn Station but that is kind of roundabout though it will be cheaper.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that, eks. I'll check ollies out.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 04:10 AM

Going roundabout through the City - bus, then subway, then LIRR -would probably take 3 times as long as a car directly to Woodmere. And not fun hauling luggage.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 04:35 AM

You can now get Ubers at LGA. Make sure you request an UberX and not an Uber black. Go to the departure level (where there will be many Ubers) and call your driver to let him/her know exactly where you are. Should be about $35 -- or less -- to Woodmere.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 04:44 AM

You could also take a shuttle bus to JFK and then a taxi to Woodmere. I would never do this because I like convenience, but it would end up costing about $14 for the bus and less than $20 for the cab.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Going to check out ollies and uber.

crosscheck, when you say 'call your driver' do you mean I'd book ahead? And what's the difference between uber x and uber black? And do they have a website where I can book a car? (I'll look this up too.)
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

ollies is a better price ($47 US). UberX is $51-$68 US. Not sure about the range in price but ollies is better.

Thanks!
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 11:38 AM

Good to know! Ollie's has been around for years and years and was, and as far as I know, still is, the main transport to the airports for people living in that area. I can't imagine a private driver would charge less than that but you can ask the relatives if they have any phone numbers. I think it is lovely of you to make all this effort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -