Any suggestions for Civil War sites?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be taking our 18 year old on a trip back east to Civil war sites as a graduation present. He is a American history buff and will major in this in college. He's not exactly sure where he wants to go except to Gettysburg. He'd like to go to Boston,D.C. and Cape Cod. We have timeshare points and were hoping to use them at a central location that we can stay and fly in and out of(if possible)and rent a car to travel to the sites. We only have a week. Ideas?
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:25 AM
MHS

From Gettysburg, if that's your starting point, I'd go to Antietam -- it's really very moving, especially on a quiet morning. This site provides lots of info on various "trails" to follow the Civil War:
http://www.civilwar-va.com/
Or you could start south and move north, ending with Antietam & Gettysburg.

Boston & Cape Cod are more revolution / pilgram than Civil War, as I'm sure you know. With just a week, you might want to focus more closely on one area of interest.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:37 AM

google Virginia Tourism and request the Civil War Trails map.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:41 AM

I agree with MHS, concentrate. Gettysburg will be a or the high point. Why not fly into Wash DC and spend a few days there then head South towards Richmond (Fredricksburg on the way). Do Richmond museums, Petersburg. Then head towards Charlottesville for the Sheanandoah valley (Appomatox on the way). By all means do Anteitam.
Then finish in Gettysburg. If you have more time go thru Pennsylvania Dutch country.

There are many more battlefields to see as well. Manassas near DC, Chancellorsville between DC and Richmond as well.
Depending on how detailed a time to spend, lots to see. Gettysburg will take at least a whole day if not 2.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:55 AM

I would also recommend Antietam for sure. You can also visit Harpers Ferry and Shepherdstown during that visit. You can find a pleasant place to stay in Shepherdstown, a nice town.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 11:16 AM

I'd also suggest eliminating the Boston/Cape part too if the focus will be Civil War. A somewhat counterclockwise Loop from Gettysburg to Richmond/Petersburg, then westward and back northern (Harpers Ferry) sounds good to me. The Civil War Trail that should be part of the info suggested by ronkala. Please post a trip report afterwards.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 01:30 PM

ttt
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 12:55 AM

You're very lucky to have birthed and raised a "history buff". He'll develop a perspective on current events that too few of his peers are capable of.

That editorial aside, please spend as much time as you can at the Gettysburg battle site. The National Park Service has a unique and informative presentation of how(and why)the three day battle played out the way it did...the Visitor Center is worth hours of musings all by itself; and "previewing" the engagements with a guided bus tour on Day One will help jump start a self-guided tour on Day Two. Go back, to Little Round Top by yourselves, and walk the length of the defensive line. Look down upon The Devil's Den. Visit the Cemetery, linger there a while. Ride horseback across the battlefield(the horses sense fallen warriors all around them--they step carefully all about this Hallowed Ground).

Plan two other trips: The War In The West(U.S.S. Grant and Sherman); and Virginia for the two summers after you visit Gettysburg.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:31 AM

Antietam would be a fine choice. The surrounding area has done a fair job resisting the ugly suburban sprawl common to much of northern Virginia. The self-tour is a delight. Fredericksburg may be a fine choice as well.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Most Civil War sites are under the National Parks System. Check their site. www.nps.gov
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Yes, check the National Park site. And BTW you don't need to be "out East" for all the Civil War sites. For instance, just west of us in Springfield, MO, is the NP Wilsons Creek Battlefield, an important early war conflict. It is preserved in an original state (unlike some affected by urban sprawl) with an excellent guided car tour.

Of course, the states of Virginia and Tennessee have many to visit along with Gettysburg and Antietam. Yes, I'd leave Boston with its rich history till another trip. Our three kids were raised with an interest in history as we camped and toured here and there. One is a political science prof, one a history museum educator, and one...well he's an aeronautical engineer but very interested in history, too, but mostly railroads!

ozarksbill
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 08:53 PM

It sounds like he wants more than Civil War. If that is the case, I would suggest 2 days in Gettysburg, one at Antietam (maybe include Harpers Ferry that day) and the rest in Washington. Seems too spread out to inclulde New England. If Civil War is the focus, I like the idea of ending with Gettysburg. Antietam is actually more authentic than Gettysburg and in some ways nicer to visit, but on the whole Gettysburg will blow any other eastern battlefield out of the water. You might as well end with the king of battlefields.

Start with two days in Fredericksburg (the area contains four major battlefields). Choose between a day in Richmond and a day in Petersburg (could do both if take time from Fredericksburg). In Richmond, see at least the White House and Museum of the Confederacy and Tredegar Visitor Center. In Petersburg, see the main battlefield park (my favorite in Virginia) and Pamplin Park (huge earthworks at site of final Union breakthrough, reenactors, and great museum). Visit Appomattox (allow 4-5 hours) and drive toward Antietam. Spend half a day or so at Antietam and head toward Gettysburg (could certainly do Harpers Ferry and Antietam in one day if you get a very early start). End with two days in Gettysburg. This may take 7 whole days, so you may have to adjust a little based on flight schedules.