Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving south from Washington DC, but where??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2011, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here's the deal: we're flying into DC in mid July (from Sweden) and renting a car for two weeks. We're thinking about driving south but haven't decided where to go. We're thinking about Charleston and Savannah but it's pretty much open. Any suggestions for a nice roadtrip to experience the best of the south?

brgds
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 05:31 AM

Charlottesville, VA would be an interesting destination. Thomas Jefferson's plantation of Monticello is worth the trip in itself. Skyline Drive near Charlottesville is a fun drive. Virginia is dotted with Civil War battlefields that are worth visiting. Richmond is home to Civil War museums. East of Richmond on the James River there is Williamsburg, ancient seat of the colony of Virginia with many of the old buildings still standing, and Jamestown, site of the first successful English-American colony in America.

As for North Carolina, the Outer Banks and Inner Banks are worth visiting and are served with ferries to help you get around. The failed first English-American colony, known as the Lost Colony, is situated just off the Outer Banks at Manteo. On the upper Outer Banks, at Kitty Hawk, is the site of the first successful aircraft flight, performed by the Wright Brothers in 1903. Bath, NC is not only the site of the first town in North Carolina but was home to the infamous pirate Blackbeard. The port city of Wilmington is worth a visit.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 05:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Which airport are you coming to? I like renting at BWI if I am not going into DC with a car. Do you intend to spend a day or more checking out our nation's capitol?
I would consider riding the Amtrak Palmetto (89)from Washington DC to Charleston South Carolina and renting the car there for 10 or 11 days and returning by train. Lots to see in the South. Let us know more about your interests.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!

Yes we'd like to spend at least one full day in DC hence any tips about DC itself is highly appreciated. Especially the hidden gems, off the beaten track etc. That goes for the road trip itself. It's nice to find places that they don't tell you about in the guide books.

We're big fans of food, doesn't have to be fancy food though. Preferably not, budget wise. We like historical sights, but in moderation. One can only handle the tourist traps for so long, I think we both enjoy the nice little places of everyday life. Farmers market, those sort of things. Two years ago we were in Florida and fell in love with the town of Sarasota. Stayed right on the beach, was great. We love animals (everglades was great) and we got no kids.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

We're flying into Dulles.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 06:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Take a hotel shuttle or public transport from Dulles to your DC area hotel. A hotel near a METRO station would be good. Rent the car downtown when you are ready to leave the city. Dulles is the least convenient airport for getting into the city.
I would suggest picking 2 or 3 southern cities and deciding whether to drive from DC or take the train and rent at the first city.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 06:35 AM

AS with any trip planning, sometimes getting a map and "connecting the dots" with places to see is good. There's a lot of interesting places and history and beauty to see on America's east coast which a train wouldn't allow. Two weeks is a nice amount of time also.
Washington would not to be missed on one end or the other. I often say that I think Americans do not value our capital nearly enough. It is a GREAT city, let alone history. One day is truly not enough.
Charleston is also just a great city for so much. I would choose it over Savannah and stay maybe 2 days.
The idea of Charlottesville and perhaps Williamsburg would be a nice tour of Virginia.
I think the Outer Banks are a bit far and remote. There are other beautiful beaches along the coast--with wonderful local food available.
You might look at Litchfield Golf and Beach Resort for a day or so on the beach since you say you loved that. The beach is realatively uncrowded. The Litchfield Inn would have rooms as might the resort. Mid-July will be HIGH season. There is also a Hampton Inn at Litchfield/Pawley's Island.
If you are driving, do stop in Georgetown just south of Pawley's and tour the historic district that dates from our Revolutionary War time.
If you do all this by car, it might be possible to either train or fly back from Charleston (or Myrtle Beach even--about two hours north of Charleston).
Welcome, and have a great time.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 07:02 AM

For a DC hotel, take a look at the Tabard Inn. It's a great value and somewhat off the radar (especially for American tourists - most of the guests are international). It's 2 blocks to the Dupont Metro station, an easy walk to the White House, and close to many dining and cafe options. The restaurant at the hotel is amazing - a "don't miss".

http://www.tabardinn.com/

If you are only staying in DC one night, then go ahead and drive into DC from the airport and pay for one nights parking. If you stay in DC longer, then wait until you check out of DC hotel to rent a car. You don't need one in the city and their is the expense of parking ($30-$40 per day).

As to stops on drive south: Charleston & Savannah, of course.

The beautiful outer banks of North Carolina is certainly off the beaten path, especially the car ferry from Ocracoke Island to Cedar Island - which I highly recommend you do. You'll have mile after mile of ocean beaches with NO ONE around. Bring provisions for the driving leg from Nags head to Cedar Island and do stop along the way.

http://www.nps.gov/caha/index.htm

Midway between Savannah and Florida is Jekyll Island, Georgia. Worth the slight detour - also check out nearby St. Simons Island and the town (city?) of Brunswick, Georgia.

http://www.jekyllisland.com/
http://www.explorestsimonsisland.com/
http://www.brunswickga.org/

Before I give any Florida recs, I should ask: I assume you are flying home from somewhere in Florida? Where exactly?
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Great tips! Flying out from DC as well so have to return there. So I don't think we'll drive all the way to Florida.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 07:44 AM

Got it. You certainly have time to make it as far south as southern coastal Georgia, however. Also, you will only want to do the North Carolina outer banks in one direction as it is out of the way (but, again, worth doing).
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 07:49 AM

Just one additional advice I would give to our European friends- America is a physically big place and distances that look fairly close on a map are often longer distances than a European would have calcualted.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 09:17 AM

good advice--and its REALLY hot and humid along the coast in July--highs in 90s with high humidity. as well--so bring light clothes and put on sun screen everyday.Comong from Sweden youd be a candidate for heat stroke if you stay out all day=--plan on resting in AC for while--plan well and youll enjoy yourself--For me i love Savannah--its a 2 day city with lots to see.and good local food spots--if you like architcure, its wonderful--you might check Tripadvisor.com and look at the variuos blogs for where your thinking of going
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 09:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
You could do an eastern trip down the coast. Annapolis and then over to the Delmarva peninsula and down. Hitting cute towns and then over to Williamsburg. Back track a bit to Richmond and then over to 95 to go down to Charlestown and Savannah. Then back up into the mountains to Charlottesville and back to DC.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 09:29 AM

I would consider heading west from Dulles, instead of going into the city first (especially without a car -- getting from Dulles into the city is very expensive - about $60-70 by taxi). Last year, we just had a few days (4 I think) so we headed west to Manassas, Charlottesville, then made a little circle through Lexington, Staunton and Appomattox and all the little towns, and then when we left Charlottesville for DC, we drove up the Skyline Drive, through Harpers Ferry and into DC, again hitting all the little towns in between. We even went tubing on the Potomac, which was a lot of fun.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 10:50 AM

Excellent advice by sf7307.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 10:54 AM

Just a note about i95 south to Charleston (not "town"). You can take I40 over to Wilmington from I95 and drive down the coast. See much more, good 4 lane road all the way, and not much further in time than DEADLY DEADLY dull I95.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 11:57 AM

That's what I would do. It's highway 17 and it goes through some interesting small towns.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice. None of you have mentioned Chesapeake Bay and the peninsula bordering Maryland. Isn't that something to consider going back to DC?
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 01:38 PM

You may have to choose between the Chesapeake Bay region and Charlottesville/etc. region. I think there is more to do/see/enjoy inland, but there is a LOT of natural beauty and small town things on the peninsula. Just the best use of time.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 01:42 PM

I will say again, however. Please allow enough time for our nation's capital. If you are there on a Friday go to the Marine Barracks "tattoo". The museums are unparallelled. The National Gallery is an art treasure. Let alone just seeing the buildings and architecture of a great country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -