Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any packing tips for a week's trip to Maui??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:03 PM
excitedgal

Hi everyone---my husband and I are leaving for Maui for our 1st anniversary next tuesday. Other than the obvious (bathing suits, shorts, sarong, hat, sunscreen, bug spray...), are there any items you cannot live without while on the island?

Just in case it matters- We are staying in a cottage in Hana Bay for 2 nights, then in a condo (Mahana) on Kaanapali for 4 nights.

Thanks in advance

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:25 PM
Arnie

Since it's your anniversary, I would bring some KY jelly. They don't sell it in all gift shops.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:59 PM
bluefan

Don't forget to take a good attitude and an open mind with you!

What you NEED to pack really depends on the activities you plan to do and the weather conditions. You don't need to pack a lot of the stuff you mentioned for Maui since you can find just about every imaginable item relatively easy once you're there and at comparable prices to the mainland, if not cheaper. So why lug around a heavy suitcase?

If you're going to do the Haleakala sunrise viewing, it would be preferable to take a warm jacket, leg thermals, wool hat (ones that can cover the ears also), gloves and a small flashlight. A little much, especially if you simply stay within the shelter, but don't freeze out there if you're waiting to take snapshots.

If you plan on doing some hiking or even side ventures along the Road to Hana, take a light rain coat and waterproof shoes/boots with good traction. You never know when it'll rain and hence muddy trails. Again, not necessary but preferable to being soaken wet.

And if you want to do some snorkeling and don't feel like renting gear, get a mask that fits (nothing is more bothersome than a leaky mask) and a snorkel. If you don't feel like packing your own fins, rent them there.

As for bug spray, the ones with DEET are the most effective. As for sunscreen, I really like the new gels since they're easy to apply, aren't as filmy as lotion, and probably better in the water.

Hope this helps!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:24 PM
Maggi

The "other than" items are precisely what you will use exclusively, especially if you will not be in a fancy resort hotel. My bathing suits (with matching pareos and sandals) were too fancy. The perfect road outfit (especially on the road to Hana) is a practical, fast-drying suit, topped with light-weight shorts and a t-shirt, with Teva sandals. Maybe a sweatshirt too. Add one non-wrinkeling sleeveless dress and a wrap (a pareo could double) for going out to dinner. I wish I had packed more t-shirts. A packing tip: I used clear, gallon sized zipper-lock bags with the air squashed out to keep my clothing separated in my suitcase. Worked like a charm! We spent two nights in Hana too and loved it there. You will have a fabulous time! Make sure to visit Koki beach.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 05:33 AM
GP

Hi Excitedgal

From a guy point of view. If you hubby is taking more than a carry on he is taking too much stuff. Very laid back over there. If there is something you realy need and forgot you can buy it over there

Have Fun
GP

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 11:32 AM
barry

I agree with everyone else about packing light! A good rule of thumb is to lay out everything you want to bring with you and put back 1/2. If you are changing locations, It's soo much easier if you don't have to pack and unpack a lot of stuff. Also, look up on the web " maui news " (maui's local newspaper). Then click on weather, then update with glenn james. You can get a complete weather update for the week with weather maps. While in Maui if you have internet access you can go to this site and get his detailed weather update in case you want to do any boating or water or beach activities through the island. Also, you mentioned bug spray; when we went to Maui in Jan. security was tight and they opened up suitcases and confiscated our aerosol cans of bug spray. Get the stuff in lotion form. Have a great time! We leave in 70 days!!!

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 05:15 PM
Lori

Take very little in the way of clothes, you simply do not need much and the temptation to buy stuff there is great anyway so give into and walk around in the new clothes you just bought. I've always ended up buying t-shirts (to go with a couple pair of shorts I do take), and a couple of sun-dresses - trust me you don't need much more then that (of course, a bathing suit(s) .. you can buy that there too if you wanted to). A sweater or light jacket might come in handy for the a/c in some places - take the jacket to Mt. Haleakala if you go up. We've stayed at The Mahana about 6 times - enjoy!! Another thing - they have washer/dryers in all the condos at the Mahana, another reason not to take too much!

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 12:42 PM
susan

Hello,
Agree with all the above. I would also suggest a waterproof disposable camera if your big into snorkeling and antifog for your mask(can purchase at sportmart.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 04:00 PM
Susan

Do bring a few bathing suits, more than two if you can. You'll wear them every day and they will need time to dry in between wearings. Bring a small bottle of woolite so you can handwash them.

A pareo is essential. Wear it over your suits during the day and as a wrap over a sundress in the evening.

Bring some aloe! The sun is strong in Hawaii. Even with SPF 30 I've gotten a burn.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:43 PM
Pam

THis isn't a reply of what to take but I wanted to tell you to be sure to drive to Hana. The drive is great and you will see more waterfalls in one day than you have seen in lifetime. Rental a small car and go for it. It's great!