what to buy BEFORE leaving for Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What things should I be sure to buy and take with us to Maui (that are cheaper here than there)? Waterproof disposable cameras? Reef shoes? I have no idea where to find these "reef shoes" (sorry if that' not the right term; whichever shoes protect your feet when snorkeling) - I did a search online and found nothing that resembled what I was looking for. Some sort of portable cooler (for transporting food when hiking)? I'd love any advice on where to buy these things, and if there's anything else I should definitely plan on bringing - little odd items, I mean. Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 04:09 PM

I am not sure of anything specific to Maui, but I always bring Advil, Cold Sore Medication, Lip Balm, Sun Screen, Lotions, etc. so I don't have to buy them when I already have them at home!

You might find the reef shoes at places like Gallions (sp?), Sports Authority or purchase on line.

If you get a portable cooler, you probably want one that folds up and packs easily. That might be something you purchase on Maui at an inexpensive price and just leave when you go home - so you don't have to carry it.

Hope this helps!
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 04:29 PM

In the south we call them "water shoes", you can buy them at Wal mart even, pretty inexpensive. Great for rafting trips, too. Hawaii is more expensive bec so many things have to be sent from the Mainland, I think I've heard its like 25% more to live there, so.....Anybody else know if thats about right? They also sell "back pack coolers", great for hiking. Its so laid back, bathing suits, shorts, sari's and a little black dress/casual-dressy for guys. You can go the entire vacation without giving up a pair of shorts. One of my favorite places in the US.
Jeri
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 04:49 PM

When I travel, I often use a softsided cooler as one of our carry-ons. You can fit a lot into one of them and the one we have is well within carry-on size. We have a Walmart and a KMart and I find the prices to be comparable to prices in SoCal WalMart, but the selection is a different story. When our store run out of an item there is no telling when (if) it will be in stock again. Shopping at ABC, Whaler's General Store or any of the other tourist stops will cost you, but you are sacrificing value for convenience and availability. Personally, I'd say to buy most of what you think you need before coming so you don't have to spend your valuable vacation time in a WalMart.

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 05:08 PM
gyppielou

got our reef shoes at Walmart in Kauai for short money...invaluable for getting around on rocky beaches and water holes.

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 05:25 PM

I just returned from a week in Maui (and a week on the BI). Went to WalMart on both islands - as far as I could tell everything was considerably more expensive than at my local (Mid-Missouri) WalMart. Also both Hawaii WalMarts were absolutely packed with people - you can not only save money by packing what you can - you can also save your vacation time.

If you will need it in Maui and have room to pack it, I would say buy it before you go.

You can get "reef shoes" cheap at both WalMart and KMart here.

We did take a collapsible cooler (bought at WalMart for about $7). We packed it with non-perishable consumables (microwave popcorn, granola bars, etc.) and checked it as a piece of luggage. On the way home we filled it with the souveniers we purchased in Maui.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 08:51 PM

Payless Shoes also has water shoes. Don't forget sunscreen, sunhats and sunglasses (can you tell I'm a mom?)
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Great! I'll check out WalMart this weekend - we already looked at a sporting goods store for the reef/water shoes and they were nowhere to be found!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 09:32 AM

What about wine? Can you get good wine at a reasonable price or should you bring some in?
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 12:42 PM

Wine is way overpriced at the markets, with Safeway being the best of the worst. Forget Foodland or Star Market. Costco has the Standard Costco labels, and if shop there at home it will look very familiar to you. But it is lot of hassle for just wine. Locals shop at Longs Drugs. You will find the best prices there and the selection is fair. If you are looking for somethgin special, Discount Liquor in the Rainbow Mall in Kihei has the best selection at the best prices for better wines. They will even quick chill it for you (in four minutes!).
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 01:45 PM

If you have a real Army Navy where you live you can get water shoes for less than Walmart etc. Of all places we found one in Martha's Vineyard last month!

They're cheap anyway, but Army/Navy has the hard-to-find all black shoes . Since we'll be wearing them in HI so much, I didn't want to walk around all week in the neon pinks and lime greens that they sell here in FL.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 01:48 PM

If you are planning to do any snorkeling, I'd recommend purchasing snorkle gear from the above mentioned stores. It will save you a substancial amount--even on renting.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Yup, we did already purchase our own snorkel gear from Costco - just couldn't find those darn reef shoes! I wonder if it's because we live in Denver, CO (nowhere near an ocean); if so, I might not be able to get them at WalMart, either!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 02:14 PM

If all else fails they are $16 at the ABC store.

But they are used by rafters, so I would assume that you should be able to find them, even in CO. Did you check a sporting goods store? Sports Authority has them on their website for $9.99.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?I2CA24EA8
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips...we went shopping today to get everything we need, and were able to find everything except a little waterproof case to hold money, keys, license, etc. while snorkeling. We looked EVERYWHERE, so I really hope we'll be able to find one on Maui! Saw a bunch online, but if I ordered one now it wouldn't make it here in time.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 09:48 AM

We bought a nice collapsible cooler (with Hawaiian flowers and all) at the ABC store. I think it was $12-14 dollars. A nice find.

Other than that, I never used my reef shoes, never really needed them. I'd bring as much as you can (leaving room for souvenirs) beforehand, so you don't have to waste time trying to find all the stuff you need when you're there.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:36 AM

tstrohn - I just found my waterproof snorkeling case (made by Whiz) at REI's. If you still have time and there's one if your hometown, you might want to check them out.

Cats Do Dance
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 12:23 PM

We bought our snorkel case at the Maui Dive Shop where we rented our gear. ($6) Took a collapible cooler and a water proof camera. The price was not much different in IL as in HI. I was surprised. Good advise about sun screen, lip balm and we even took aloe gel, which we needed after the sun. Immediatley took away the burn. Don't take too many clothes! We found that we didn't need that many since we spent so much time in bathing suits!