Search

Any Family RV camping suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Family RV camping suggestions?

Hello
I would like to rent an RV with my family for a summer vacation out west somewhere..
Can anyone point me to some resources to get started?
Maybe we could be interested in the Tetons, Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon..
Pretty much open to all ideas!
We are a family of 4..2 adults 2 Boys 11 and 14..
thanks for your ideas!
Dan
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 03:42 PM

I am also considering RV rental (nothing in the near future, but maybe next year) and was about to start a thread on a similar topic.

Did you end up going on this trip, or were you planning it for this summer? I'd be interested to know how things went and hear from others regarding your question about helpful RV resources.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 03:50 PM

There are entire discussion boards dedicated to RV travel, where you can get advice on everything from your itinerary to where and what to rent, to what to pack and how to dump the tanks. I like the forum at rv.net.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 03:52 PM

Thanks Anonymouse! I'll check it out.

I guess that's why dgmr didn't get too many responses when the thread started in Feb.!
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 12:51 AM

Cruise America and El Monte are two big RV rental places in the west. You might look at their websites and check prices. If you want to do the national parks of the Southwest, Grand Canyon, Glen Canyon, Bryce, & Zion, then I'd suggest flying into Las Vegas and renting from there. If you want to do Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, then I'd suggest flying into Salt Lake City.

If you have specific camping or campground questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them. We've been camping (mostly in the West) for the last 30 years and the last 16 in a motorhome.

Utahtea
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

utahtea
I am thinking of renting an RV and traveling Yellowstone.
Will I be able to find camping so late in the game if I wish to go in August?
My sons are 11 and 14 and I think Yellowstone is a bit better for hikes and more interesting sites than the grand canyon which seems to be a very large scale?
Thanks!
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 11:26 PM

Hi dgmr123,

Yellowstone is an excellent choice. Our boys loved going.

You might be able to get campsites without hook ups in Yellowstone without reservations, but if you are going to rent an RV, then I'd make reservations because you will know your dates. The larger the motorhome, the more important the reservations! So if it's a smaller 24 foot, I wouldn't worry as much as a 30 foot or larger motorhome. If you wanted hookups for the RV, then I'd call immediately to see if Fishing Bridge Campground has openings and maybe work your dates around that. We stayed at Fishing Bridge for the first time last year. It's just a little more than a parking lot with trees around. Not my favorite.

We like Madison Campground for it's location to the geyser areas. We like Bay Bridge for it's location to Yellowstone Lake, Canyon and Hayden Valley. Bay Bridge is close to showers at Fishing Bridge but if you have an RV you shouldn't need showers, just a dump station. BTW, Mammoth campground does not have a dump station. Canyon campground is very forested and campsites not as level as the other three mentioned. Grant is kind of far from other areas. Here's a list of the campgrounds: http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisi...ellowstone.htm

There is going to be a road closure in the park in mid-August so you might want to plan around that. http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Utahtea
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 03:24 AM

Don't fret; they started another thread in late May and you responded to that one.